Features development thread. (Ideas for the Version 1 Port)

Users who are viewing this thread

A greater variety of swords (not quantity, but variety). FerdiaITA had a great selection in TDA mod.
And also the kite shields like this one

escudonormando.jpg

These were certainly in use by Scandinavians, and even more popular among Saxon Huscalrs in later time

Hrotgaar said:
A greater variety of swords (not quantity, but variety). FerdiaITA had a great selection in TDA mod.

escudonormando.jpg

These were certainly in use by Scandinavians, and even more popular among Saxon Huscalrs in later time

They were in use, only about 200 years after the period the mod is set in. Kite shields are not in use in Europe at the time of this mod, and would definately not look right.

Spongly said:
Hrotgaar said:

escudonormando.jpg

They were in use, only about 200 years after the period the mod is set in. Kite shields are not in use in Europe at the time of this mod, and would definately not look right.

Are you sure? Having in mind that Saxons adopted them from Normans, and Normans descended from Danish vikings... these shieds couldn't just appear from thin air, could they? They might have been rare, but one can not say they were completely absent

Englands army uses guns and we were once saxons. Did the saxons use them?
Kite sheilds weren't as good for infantry as a round sheild anyway so why would the danes use them?

I'm not saying they USED them, but Viking trading routes reached very far. They could be awailable as rare, imported items. Riurik, for example, together with his band, is oftenly depicted with a kite shield.

What other nation would be using a kite sheild in that time? I think this was probably something designed after the time this mod is set in since that is when cavarly warfare actualy happened.

Hrotgaar said:
Spongly said:
Are you sure? Having in mind that Saxons adopted them from Normans, and Normans descended from Danish vikings... these shieds couldn't just appear from thin air, could they? They might have been rare, but one can not say they were completely absent

Well, I'm not sure given that we're talking about a period over a thousand years ago, but all archaeological finds and all pictures from the time show shields as being round. Kite shields don't appear from thin air, but they develop out of round shields in the 11th century, which is when they start appearing in some of the artwork. One would assume the development occurs due to a greater tendency to fight in very close formation, or from horseback, where a long shield that covers one whole side of your body would be an advantage.

Rurik is only depicted with a kite shield in 19th and 20th century illustrations, not in any period source.

i want sigmunds ideas lol but i want two dogs like chicwawa(srry wrong i know)  :lol: just the idea that two litte dogs are killers lol :lol: :lol:
then the drunk battle whahahahahah thats a golden one  :lol: :lol: :lol:
but i like also a few around ten min-factions!
the order and get item thing is also great ussealy i run from the one town to the other to get a good sword/axe etc.
hehehehe more horses would also do great :razz: but not to hard because i favore in this mod more infraty battles

For the Christian faction: ever noticed how no-one ever wages war on the Bandit, Manhunter, or "Undead" factions present in Native?  Their alliances are fixed, and you could easily do the same with a new Christian faction, which would be good, especially as it would replace that annoying thing where your relationship with the "Commoner" faction goes down if you kill Christians.

Back
Top Bottom