How (good) is the formation fighting in beta?

Users who are viewing this thread

In real life, people fought in formations, not because they got magical buffs or because they were stupid, but because that was most effective way to do things . Altough if there are not enough soldiers to form proper formations, it may be better to fight in looser skirmish order - unless enemy had cavalry, and almost everyone in all time periods wanted to always have at least some cavalry, and almost always had at least some.

In Warband though, fighting in formations was usually not worth it. Long lines were sometimes good in single player, and sometimes you could form deep formations to protect against cavalry, but in multiplayer it was rarely worth trying to find other players and group up with them. It was even worse if you had spears and tried to defend narrow corridor in good shield wall. That was just stupid idea that never worked, even though historically it was one of the best things you could do in that situation, only beaten by pikemen, flanking attacks if possible, and sometimes archers.
Greeks at Thermopylae were not beaten by enormous amounts of Persian archers, because shields were great. In medieval times armor had become even better, but so had bows and crossbows so i don't know how exactly that would work. But there was still way more melee infantry than ranged infantry, which simply would not have happened if shields and armor would be useless. Formations, while easy to hit (and formations of spearmen might have hard time damaging archer), should not be destroyed by archers alone, just weakened. (though obviously, any armor had weak spots so if you just stand there entire day anyone should eventually be killed)

Peasants. Historically they varied a lot, from useless rabble to defeating strong knights. Historically all nations used at least some weak militiamen, and plenty of armies had at least some of them, so they propably should be cost effective as long as they are just part of an army and not entire army. Use them as garrison, reinforce the line, maybe bolster your flanking moves with them etc. They should be more worth using than they were in Warband (most of the time), but obviously they should still be just peasants.

How is it in beta atm? Do people want to always find other players to fight in formations or is everyone soloing? Can you just destroy shields by spitting at them? Are archers primary weapons for everyone? Or do shields actually shield people as they should? Are spearmen any good, or are they immediately decimated against any infantry? And are peasants/cheapest troops available any good?

Well that's a lot of questions, Honestly I find the formations to be pretty useful but I only have about 18hrs in the beta so far, as I just got my key in the last batch. Shields are almost a constant need since archers/crossbows are probably the most deadly units in the game, direct charges by a single unit of cav usually ends in instant cav wipeout and shieldless units in a direct charge don't usually even get to the line for a single kill. Personally I dislike playing as archers and I don't like them killing me in skirmish BUUUUT I feel they are pretty realistic and are were they should be. I feel crossbows should be slower reload or their unit size lowered in skirmish, although I hate them I think they are fine as far as balanced is concerned. There is a reason English bowmen were so feared. Shields are not easily destroyed and some larger ones almost feel indestructible , spacing seems more important then ever because of the delay of your back swing(which unlike others I love it makes combat feel hefty and realistic, no more 2h swingers like a pool noodle). Like real life smaller shields are easier to shoot around then larger ones and units with bigger shields do a better job with shield wall. Circle formation with spears or javelins is great against cavalry skirmishers. There are definite advantages of some factions over others which makes some players mad saying they are "impossible" matchups but ive seen pretty much every faction beat the other at some point in each game mode. Maps play a lot into if cav are useful or not which I love the game is a lot deeper then people realize and spamming the same strat every time will not work. Im certainly not the best player but I usually finish in the top 3 in every match so I feel I get the basics at least. There are still a lot of formations ive been unable to really test well. Hope this answers a few of your questions.

PS probably only 1000 hours into warband and only like 200 in the multiplayer there but I personally much prefer Bannerlord already and I think it will only get better and the silly stuff people miss, like naked two handers im sure will be modded in, in many custom servers. Personally I don't miss it -LV

Lord Vuhl said:
Well that's a lot of questions, Honestly I find the formations to be pretty useful but I only have about 18hrs in the beta so far, as I just got my key in the last batch. Shields are almost a constant need since archers/crossbows are probably the most deadly units in the game, direct charges by a single unit of cav usually ends in instant cav wipeout and shieldless units in a direct charge don't usually even get to the line for a single kill. Personally I dislike playing as archers and I don't like them killing me in skirmish BUUUUT I feel they are pretty realistic and are were they should be. I feel crossbows should be slower reload or their unit size lowered in skirmish, although I hate them I think they are fine as far as balanced is concerned. There is a reason English bowmen were so feared. Shields are not easily destroyed and some larger ones almost feel indestructible , spacing seems more important then ever because of the delay of your back swing(which unlike others I love it makes combat feel hefty and realistic, no more 2h swingers like a pool noodle). Like real life smaller shields are easier to shoot around then larger ones and units with bigger shields do a better job with shield wall. Circle formation with spears or javelins is great against cavalry skirmishers. There are definite advantages of some factions over others which makes some players mad saying they are "impossible" matchups but ive seen pretty much every faction beat the other at some point in each game mode. Maps play a lot into if cav are useful or not which I love the game is a lot deeper then people realize and spamming the same strat every time will not work. Im certainly not the best player but I usually finish in the top 3 in every match so I feel I get the basics at least. There are still a lot of formations ive been unable to really test well. Hope this answers a few of your questions.

PS probably only 1000 hours into warband and only like 200 in the multiplayer there but I personally much prefer Bannerlord already and I think it will only get better and the silly stuff people miss, like naked two handers im sure will be modded in, in many custom servers. Personally I don't miss it -LV
Brilliant answer, thank you! This makes me a lot more excited for Bannerlord!

Just to tack on a little more. I have 40 hours in the beta and I usually play at peak times to try and experience really good captain mode games and I have to say formations are a must. Before I get into the thick of it I do have to say that shield health is garbage in Bannerlord. Mainly because, at least in captains mode, archer spam is a real issue and there is no way shield infantry can cover the gap to get into melee without being obliterated because the ai archers are too accurate. But that's for a different thread. So my thoughts on formations...

#1 - You have your shield wall formation which is essential to your shield infantry survival vs any missiles.
#2 - Scatter and loose formations I find particularly usually to help my archer unit not get picked off easily when I don't have a shield wall, high ground, or any cover to hide behind.
#3 - simple line formation is nice to combo with shield infantry and archers
#4 - Square is nice for shield infantry particularly, and cav and infantry a little to when you need to group up close to protect each other with shields from arrows and to hide behind cover for ambushes or from heavy suppressive fire.
#5 -  My favorite is circle formation. It's great for spearmen. If your against any cavalry just set them in a circle and you're protected from all directions. Even better if you can put them on a capture point and watch the enemy Cavs moral go down since they can't get in close to capture. Literally won me a losing round.
#6 - Wedge formation is kinda cool, but I have yet to find a significant use for it yet. Because so far it doesn't really serve the practical use it had historically in Bannerlord yet.

My current concerns so far...

I would like a spear wall formation where my pikemen dig in and brace to really do some hurt against Caverly charges.
Basically, what we have is a great start, but I would like to see more useful and unique formations like bracing that would have a significant impact on gameplay particularly with sieges. Like I think we would all lose our **** if creative and useful formation like this from Lord of the Ring was in the game

rYsxt.png

And my final point is that even though the formations are actually useful in Bannerlord we have no real experience with how the ai will react in singleplayer yet. Hopefully formations are just as useful as they are in multiplayer.

Back
Top Bottom