New forum and site

Users who are viewing this thread

Here are  the quotes about the site:
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
We are working on an entirely new website at the moment, it would be a waste of time and resources updating that page. :smile:
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
We are still working on them but it should be in the not too distant future I imagine.

Triune Impurity Rites 999 said:
So we'd all go back to pitchfork status?! I just got my flanged mace!

I seem to recall Callum saying somewhere (maybe steam?) that accounts and stuff would transfer over, but I can't find an exact quote. I may just be mistaken.

I hope there isn't a new forum; I like this place just as it is. I've been an active member here for years, I know where to look for pretty much anything I need to find, and I think this forum's design is better than any other I've used. Most other forums I join use Invision Community's forum (like these: 1, 2, 3), as opposed to Simple Machines' (which is what this forum uses), and I've always hated that. On this site you can do all sorts of stuff with your posts because A.) the editor lets you do whatever you want, and B.) you can see and work with the BBCode. On Invision forums, you click "Quote" on somebody's post, go to type your response, and find that it won't let you type above the quote. And that's just one example how that forum design will **** with you. So yeah, I definitely hope they keep the old forum, and if they don't, I really hope they stick with SMF.

The problem that I'm seeing with the forum right now has nothing to do with the site: it's that there aren't enough people hanging out here anymore. Off-Topic is practically dead, and while On-Topic always looks busy to me (since I hardly pay it any attention), I would expect that it would be slowing down a little, too. And the reason for that is that Taleworlds' next game, Bannerlord, has been in development for over seven years with literally no end in sight. And for many of those years we received precious little information to keep us excited, thanks to the mindblowing uselessness of Captain Lust and Taleworlds' PR. A major release would reinvigorate the community, bringing new members and giving old members new people to talk to and something new to talk about. Now, though, I expect people here are running out of things to talk about and running out of reasons to stick around.

The Meddling Monk said:
Triune Impurity Rites 999 said:
So we'd all go back to pitchfork status?! I just got my flanged mace!

I seem to recall Callum saying somewhere (maybe steam?) that accounts and stuff would transfer over, but I can't find an exact quote. I may just be mistaken.
This is true. (Not necessarily Callum saying it, but the general notion of transferring accounts & content.)

Xenforo is the new forum software. There is no ETA.

The problem that I'm seeing with the forum right now has nothing to do with the site: it's that there aren't enough people hanging out here anymore.

I think there is a problem with your vision. You think that this forum has nothing wrong and is simply missing reasons for people to stick around.

I can name a few problem already with the forum, and it is the search. The search is terrible, no option to sort by date, time, replies, you type a word and it barfs out all the posts in a sequence I can't understand, most likely just random. So searching for posts by remembering page numbers and finding it there is much easier.

I also can't find members and have to go down and see them online to find them, and thats a problem too as guests are included in the search result, so anyone past the letter G in the alphabet is buried by pages and pages of guests.

Its pretty clear this forum's design is outdated and could use with a rework, when it is missing some modern features.

And also regarding Off Topic, You seem to hold sentimental values in that specific place in the forum. While I can't argue sentimental values, I will argue the importance of Off Topic.

This forum was originally made by Armagan to discuss his video games. And that dosen't seem to change today.

I don't think Off Topic holds as much importance as you think it does as this place is not a social site, but a site to discuss the video games by Taleworlds with other people.

There are better mediums if you want a social site to meet and talk with friends. Try the most popular site in America Reddit. You just make an account, and then go talk about anything you want, like Politics, Cooking, Video Games, and even people from other countries. That is if you can speak the language of course.

Lolbash said:
I think there is a problem with your vision. You think that this forum has nothing wrong and is simply missing reasons for people to stick around.

I can name a few problem already with the forum, and it is the search. The search is terrible, no option to sort by date, time, replies, you type a word and it barfs out all the posts in a sequence I can't understand, most likely just random. So searching for posts by remembering page numbers and finding it there is much easier.

Sounds like you're describing the quick search and not the actual search page.

Lolbash said:
I also can't find members and have to go down and see them online to find them, and thats a problem too as guests are included in the search result, so anyone past the letter G in the alphabet is buried by pages and pages of guests.

You can try to search for members.
In online user list you can change from "show everyone" to "show members only" (drop down menu in right side of the screen).

Lolbash said:
The problem that I'm seeing with the forum right now has nothing to do with the site: it's that there aren't enough people hanging out here anymore.

Its pretty clear this forum's design is outdated and could use with a rework, when it is missing some modern features.
Aside from a bunch of technical upgrades XF may enable/provide, we will likely review the overall structure and policy in the forum. That does not mean that content will be removed, but we may bundle things like dlc and engine titles in one subsection rather than spread them over the forum. Similarly, support may see one dedicated section - now that we have M.arda helping out in a more official capacity. Aside from relegating inactive boards, we may also review centers of activity and see how we can further promote them and encourage more spill-over.

Lolbash said:
And also regarding Off Topic, You seem to hold sentimental values in that specific place in the forum. While I can't argue sentimental values, I will argue the importance of Off Topic.

This forum was originally made by Armagan to discuss his video games. And that dosen't seem to change today.

I don't think Off Topic holds as much importance as you think it does as this place is not a social site, but a site to discuss the video games by Taleworlds with other people.

There are better mediums if you want a social site to meet and talk with friends. Try the most popular site in America Reddit. You just make an account, and then go talk about anything you want, like Politics, Cooking, Video Games, and even people from other countries. That is if you can speak the language of course.
All areas of the forum are important, because it is not just a platform to provide a service but also a space for community to converge, interact and contribute. The "sentimental value" that members hold in offtopic, modding, ontopic or a language board adds to the platforms overall value because it means people care (for it and each other). People that care stick around. People that care create content and help each other.

Heck, who knows if I would still be around if it hadn't been for offtopic post 2014 - when a lot of folks dropped out of active modding.

Orion said:
Arvenski said:
And the reason for that is that Taleworlds' next game, Bannerlord, has been in development for over seven years with literally no end in sight.
Announced Sept. 27th 2012.
Ah. I thought it was 2011. Well, six years with no end in sight. My point still stands.

Lolbash said:
I wasn't arguing the importance of Off-Topic, although I do believe its important, as it has kept many longtime members interested in the forum and therefore active in the community. Rather, I was using Off-Topic's decline as an indicator of what I expect is happening, to some degree, throughout the forum: People are leaving. I think the reason some of the Off-Topic people left was because they got bored of shooting the breeze all the time on here. And while I don't know what goes on in On-Topic, I'd think people would be feeling the same over there. You can only stay interested in Warband, or any one thing, for so long. If TW wants a thriving forum they should give people a reason to come here and something to talk about. In other words, a new game.

Arvenski said:
Ah. I thought it was 2011. Well, six years with no end in sight. My point still stands.

Your point stands still, also they started the development of the game in 2010. Mr Armağan said this himself in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3jQHjEkCg

8 years of development is actually alright. Each Final Fantasy game takes around 8-10 years of development. The problem is that TW announced their game so early for no reason. Also, not like other game studios, TW doesn't have any feature list or planned development stages to do. Teams weekly come together to discuss and take daily decisions to move on, which probably caused some big problems during development.

This game is pretty much their prestige project, and they put so much eggs in it so they want it to be perfect (there is no such thing as perfection anyway) and i think it's understandable for them not to rush for release of the full game. But yeah it's clearly not understandable that there is no new website after a year of it's announcement. Mr Armağan talks about Early Access, while their feature page in their website is empty.

As mentioned by others, along with an overhaul of the main site, the forum will be converted to XenForo. Pretty much everything will be transferred over. We have no ETA for it.

What advantages will Xenforo provide over the current forum software? I'm not criticizing; I'm curious. Will users notice the upgrade much (will there be increased functionality), or is the upgrade mostly for the administrative/technical side of things?

Lolbash said:

It is a social site, though. It's a service provided by TaleWorlds to the community, and the primary purpose is to provide a platform for the community to socialize on. The division of the forum into different categories is simply done to focus discussions of various topics into different places, which makes the forum neater and easier to search. The alternative is that you get discussions unrelated to the company's games popping up in the middle of things and making a mess. If people want to use the forum to talk about other things, it's no great burden to allow them, and it's easy to give them a space in which to do it. There is also overlap between the two groups of forum users.

Arvenski said:
The problem that I'm seeing with the forum right now has nothing to do with the site: it's that there aren't enough people hanging out here anymore. Off-Topic is practically dead, and while On-Topic always looks busy to me (since I hardly pay it any attention), I would expect that it would be slowing down a little, too. And the reason for that is that Taleworlds' next game, Bannerlord, has been in development for over seven years with literally no end in sight. And for many of those years we received precious little information to keep us excited, thanks to the mindblowing uselessness of Captain Lust and Taleworlds' PR. A major release would reinvigorate the community, bringing new members and giving old members new people to talk to and something new to talk about. Now, though, I expect people here are running out of things to talk about and running out of reasons to stick around.

I think this guy has a point... :neutral:

Uh-oh.
AyBhG.gif

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry said:
Duh said:
Heck, who knows if I would still be around if it hadn't been for offtopic post 2014 - when a lot of folks dropped out of active modding.
You realise you're just arguing against the existence of Off Topic with this, right? :iamamoron:
200w.webp

Back
Top Bottom