Sturgia - Make up your mind about this faction.

Users who are viewing this thread

UPDATE:
I didn't notice that this thread I created two years ago became one of the most popular ones on the Bannerlord discussion subforum, so I'll be editing my initial post, cleaning it up a bit to be more constructive. I will also be adding a few suggestions for how I believe Taleworlds can respond to some of our criticism without undermining their latest changes too drastically.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone. From the footage we've seen, it seems Taleworlds is shifting Sturgia to be more norse/viking-inspired as opposed to slavic/kievan rus inspired as they initially intended.

There's multiple examples of this. There's multiplayer unit classes named Ulfhednar and Huskarl, with only the Huskarl being described as a Nord in the flavour lore text. Also the Raider is basically equipped as a norse (Nord in this game) viking while not being described as a Nord either.

The troop trees in single player (assuming they are final) has a line upgrading from Sturgian Soldier into Ulfhednar and Berserker, both aesthetically Norse (Nord) as opposed to Slavic (Sturgian), not only does it not make sense for a Sturgian to mysteriously transform into a Nord, but there's much better ways of handling this as I will be describing below.

I, and many others, do not believe that mishmashing cultures with one another produces any sort of interesting result. There are alot of people who are great fans of norse and viking history and culture, some of them are cheering on the dilution of Sturgia, while many more others are disappointed that the only representation they will see in-game is half-heartedly through Sturgia. There are also alot of people who are great fans of slavic history and culture, and they are disappointed to see that the initially kievan rus envisioned Sturgia is being turned into a Norse/Viking faction, which we suspect is because the game would have more appeal to a wider audience that way.

All we're asking is for Sturgia to be more consistently Kievan Rus/Slavic inspired. As you've mentioned yourselves, there's been alot of foreign influence into Sturgia in the in-game lore, and there's so much better ways to handle/represent this rather than having native Sturgian Soldiers mysteriously transforming into Sturgian (Nord) Ulfhednars/Berserkers  :lol: The Sturgians could be given the option to recruit steppe horse archer mercenaries, or nord heavy(heaviest) infantry mercenaries.

Here's the suggestions I mentioned earlier:

1. Rename the Ulfhednar and Berserker troops on the Sturgian troop tree (assuming that the troop trees are final) into something inspired from slavic history rather than norse history. Possibly also change their equipment to match. It doesn't make any sense for Sturgian recruits to mysteriously transform into Nords anyways  :lol:

2. While I personally don't care about multiplayer much, some people seem to, and for those people I suppose you could do something about the Huskarl class, perhaps rename them into Nord Mercenary/Mercenary. Same thing with the Ulfhednar class, doesn't even suit Sturgia, especially considering the flavour text for the Ulfhednar seem to be suggesting they are native Sturgians and not Nords. Fits much more with Battania than with Sturgia. Change it or replace it with something else. The equipment of the "Raider" class makes them look like quintessentially vikings, while once again the flavour text suggests that they are native Sturgians and NOT Nords. Change around the equipment.

3. I presume this is not final, but something very funny people noticed from the footage we've seen so far is that literally a third of the NPC's in Sturgian towns and villages are called "Ragnar", once again a norse name rather than a slavic one. Sure, if there's alot of nords in Sturgian lands, it makes sense for some of the NPC's to have norse inspired names, but a third of them? Come on now  :lol:

4. There's a fantastic thread with concept art inspiration for the various different factions made by the users Piconi and Terco: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,388229.0.html
Sturgia and Batannia really could use some inspiration to lean a bit more towards what we see in that thread, in my personal opinion  :grin:

Thank you for reading

Crowcorrector said:
Sturgia is a Russo-Scandinavian inspired faction not a Kevian Rus inspired faction..  there....problem fixed.

Changing the definition of a faction that was previously defined as something else doesn't fix the problem of the faction ending up as a half-measure mongrel faction that started as something unique but then degenerated into a half-finished 'a little bit of everything' to satisfy people who complain on the forums.

I personally don't care, as suggesting that Kevian Rus and the Nords should seperate because it is "unrealistic" is a really weak argument because it ignores the rest of the factions that have "Hollywood" tropes. For example;

-Aserai do not have any straight swords

-Battanian Bezerkers run into battle naked.

Not only that, I have already mentioned this before, but I am pretty sure that Vaegirs and Nords are mixed into 1 faction because of gameplay balance.

Vaegirs have great Archers in Warband.

Nords have great Infantry in Warband.

If you combine these together, you have a formidable army that can compete with the much more diversified factions in Bannerlord. The Khuziats are now buffed with better AI which means Horse Archers are useful, Empire have diversity on their side, Vlandians have Knights, Cavalry, and Armor, and many more faction buffs.

Comparing the Vaegir and the Nords to the rest of these factions, and you will see how weak they stand by themselves and their limited arsenal, so it only makes sense to combine them together to give them a chance against the rest of the world.

Nothing else was ever implied for the Sturgians. They were a mixed faction from the very beginning. Nothing's "degenerated", it's always been like this.
The cultural mix makes plenty of historical sense, both in the cultures they based Sturgia on and in general concept.

If you want a faction that has been executed rather weakly, look at the Battanians dressed in their ugly and very un-Celtic rags instead.

0x0oCZN.jpg

Τhe term nordaboos does not exist at all, this is the first time that I hear of that. It's also a very bad one. They are exactly as promoted since the start, but not as nordic as most players that played nords would like it to be. Nords exist as a seperate faction in Bannerlord.

Scarf Ace said:
Nothing else was ever implied for the Sturgians. They were a mixed faction from the very beginning. Nothing's "degenerated", it's always been like this.
The cultural mix makes plenty of historical sense, both in the cultures they based Sturgia on and in general concept.

If you want a faction that has been executed rather weakly, look at the Battanians dressed in their ugly and very un-Celtic rags instead.

You cannot mix slavic terminology and norse terminology and claim "it's an organic mix of cultures", stuff doesn't work that way. Either the Surgians are a kievan rus inspired faction with non-kievan rus inspired subfactions within it, or it's a "little bit of everything" half measure bland mess.

I would like to have as much variety as we can. So , if this does the opposite then I am against it.
I am also cool with other factions added in the future, such as indian , chinese , japanese etc.

Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:

You cannot mix slavic terminology and norse terminology and claim "it's an organic mix of cultures", stuff doesn't work that way. Either the Surgians are a kievan rus inspired faction with non-kievan rus inspired subfactions within it, or it's a "little bit of everything" half measure bland mess.
You just wrote that in a language that is made up of a mix of germanic and francophone terminology for very similar reasons. Of course it makes sense.

Whatever makes you happy said:
Androme1 said:
You cannot mix slavic terminology and norse terminology and claim "it's an organic mix of cultures", stuff doesn't work that way.
Why doesn't it?

Because it doesn't work that way, it's unrealistic because there's no real life examples of it. In Sweden we don't go around calling people who work in shops "shopkeepers", we call them butiksbiträde, because that's the word we use for people who work in that occupation in our culture with our language.

Scarf Ace said:
Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:

You just wrote that in a language that is made up of a mix of germanic and francophone terminology for very similar reasons. Of course it makes sense.

Neither any of the slavic languages nor old norse is a "mix of germanic and francophone terminology".

Androme1 said:
Androme1 said:
You cannot mix slavic terminology and norse terminology and claim "it's an organic mix of cultures", stuff doesn't work that way.
Why doesn't it?

Because it doesn't work that way, it's unrealistic because there's no real life examples of it. In Sweden we don't go around calling people who work in shops "shopkeepers", we call them butiksbiträde, because that's the word we use for people who work in that occupation in our culture with our language.
There's no real life examples of language mixing?

Considering Sturgia, they seems Vaegirs and Nords regarding troop roster, but how BL is fantasy, a clear influence not will be evident exactly as Gondor, Byzantines but with Western armours

Androme1 said:
Androme1 said:
Why doesn't it?

There's no real life examples of language mixing?

There's no real life examples of a people using mixed language in the manner Taleworlds is attempting to portray the Sturgians to be doing in their game. This really is not hard to understand.

Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:
Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:

Neither any of the slavic languages nor old norse is a "mix of germanic and francophone terminology".

I was talking about English you dolt. The point is that it makes plenty of sense to have ranks and other similar terms derived from different languages for the Sturgians. They're a Norse/Slavic mix, they have Norse and Slavic terms. Just as how medieval English terminology contains plenty of terms from both old English and French.

Scarf Ace said:
Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:
Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:

I was talking about English you dolt. The point is that it makes plenty of sense to have ranks and other similar terms derived from different languages for the Sturgians. They're a Norse/Slavic mix, they have Norse and Slavic terms. Just as how medieval English terminology contains plenty of terms from both old English and French.

I know you were talking about english, and that's my point exactly. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever because that's not how language developed in Kievan Rus. If Taleworlds intends for Sturgia to be inspired by Kievan Rus, then they need to be consistent with what things are called, how the various troops are named. You don't go around calling teachers 'teacher' in turkish in England do you? Nor do you call mechanics 'mechanic' in russian in Italy. Throwing around words such as Druzhina and Huskarl and Viking without a care in the world is doing precisely that.

Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:
Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:
Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:

I know you were talking about english, and that's my point exactly. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever because that's not how language developed in Kievan Rus. If Taleworlds intends for Sturgia to be inspired by Kievan Rus, then they need to be consistent with what things are called, how the various troops are named. You don't go around calling teachers 'teacher' in turkish in England do you? Nor do you call mechanics 'mechanic' in russian in Italy. Throwing around words such as Druzhina and Huskarl and Viking without a care in the world is doing precisely that.

So now you've shifted from "there are no historical examples of languages being mixed in this way" to "this specific culture's language did not develop like this".

Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:
Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:
Androme1 said:
Scarf Ace said:

So now you've shifted from "there are no historical examples of languages being mixed in this way" to "this specific culture's language did not develop like this".

Both are true.

Back
Top Bottom