The general firearms thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes, but I stating that you wouldn't need to rely on an in-line configuration that much if you had a ported barrel.

You just said that rifles need a buttstock, which is obvious  :???:

G36E said:
Well, why would you be firing an MG upside down?
It is unlikely that infantry MG's would be mounted on aircrafts (where you may shoot from upside-down position), but anti-aircraft tripods may allow you to fire upside-down when following a crossing target. However, the reason why modern MG should always use controlled loading and not to rely on gravity is:

You fire a few bursts at a target.
You pick up the MG and change position.
You drop to ground and have to roll sideways to get into new firing position.
You set up the MG and fire... and the gun jams because the ready cartridge on loading bridge had gone to wrong position when you rolled.

A weapon should be totally reliable on all situations. It is no excuse that some situation is not very common.
G36E said:
Since a lot of weapons use in-line configuration, nothing amazing there.
About in-lining and muzzle flip...

There are some problems in designing in-line configuration rifle. The problem is that the stock comb may become too high, especially if there is moving components within the stock. This high comb usually means that rifle must have riser sight.

M16 is in-line rifle with riser sights: http://world.guns.ru/assault/m16.jpg
SIG 550 is in-line rifle with normal sights: http://world.guns.ru/assault/sig_sg550_family.jpg

Depending on the cartridge type, 20-50% of the total recoil is caused by the high-velocity propellant gases exiting form barrel. A recoil compensator (aka. "muzzle brake") re-directs the propellant gases, while sound suppressor slows down the gas flow to sub-sonic velocity. These effects can be easily demonstrated by having a gun with removable suppressor and loading a couple of blank cartridges.

Instead of porting the barrel, some AKM designs used "spoon muzzle" to reduce muzzle flip. This means that the muzzle was cut diagonally so that much of the muzzle blast was directed up. Main problem with porting and and spoon muzzle was that the shooter would see more and more of the bright muzzle flash, and this would reduce his ability to see in dark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Izhmash_AKM_Assault_Rifle.jpg

Adding a recoil compensator to the muzzle would reduce the total recoil and help to control the muzzle flip. However, the recoil compensator usually spread the muzzle blast so that the blast is highly visible and the sound pressure level at shooters ears increases. Some recoil compensators turn the muzzle blast backwards, but these are extremely loud for the shooter, and may kick up sand to shooters eyes when fired from prone position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:razz:GM-Hecate-seul-img_1008.jpg

Sound suppressor reduces the recoil, eliminates the muzzle flash and reduces muzzle blast. The suppressor itself do not reduce the bullet velocity, so suppressed assault rifle is still quite noisy. Modern assault rifle with suppressor and normal ammunition will generate less than 140 dB sound, which means that you can shoot without hearing protection. Old suppressors were quite long, but modern telescoped suppressors add little to the weapon length.

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/g3suppr.jpg

I use TR-8 telescoping reflex suppressor with my SAKO M92, and I have never found any reason not to use it. If I close the gas port and use subsonic ammunition, the gun becomes very quiet and I can hear the hammer hitting firing pin during firing. :smile:

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/m95graaf.html

Oh yeah, true, I forgot about the rolling.

Oh, and there's one other recoil compensating mechanism, the free-floating barrel.
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6964220.html

Anyways, Buxton, what I mean is that pistols need a buttstock to be accurate. I mean, you're stuck with using your arms to brace recoil, and let's face it, most people don't have bionic arms.

These Help?  :grin:

mauser_c96_stock.jpg

luger_7_65carb.jpg

pchalk said:
G36E said:
Yes, they're odd, but they help.

The top one was actually quite common but ive seen both in person  :grin:

What? The C96 is by no means common - unless you live in inter-war Russia, or perhaps in WWI Germany. 1920ies China is also a possibility.

They're both vintage collectors items.

Archonsod said:
Seff said:
You'd be amazed at the amount of WW1 crap still floating around. Most households where I grew up had at least a bayonet, I've seen everything from grenades to full uniforms buried in people's lofts.

True, still, not many use a C96 as a personal defense weapon any more.

Seff said:
pchalk said:
G36E said:
Yes, they're odd, but they help.

The top one was actually quite common but ive seen both in person  :grin:

What? The C96 is by no means common - unless you live in inter-war Russia, or perhaps in WWI Germany. 1920ies China is also a possibility.

It is common. I mean they rnt in any sort of military issue circulation, of course not. My dad is a collector and he has a few of them. If u live in the US, go to a gun show. I see more of this stuff than anything else sometimes. I usually see at least 6 of each. Most of the Luger ones I see are too nice to be authentic so I kno theyr copies. Theres a lot of that.

G36E said:
You have me wondering how much I could get if I started robbing those houses. :lol:

**** all. Military memorabilia from the twentieth century only fetches a high price if it's got a (proven) story behind it. Otherwise you'd get more for the scrap metal value than anything else.

Hell, we were still using WWII BAR's for range practice when I was in cadets.

Archonsod said:
G36E said:
You have me wondering how much I could get if I started robbing those houses. :lol:

**** all. Military memorabilia from the twentieth century only fetches a high price if it's got a (proven) story behind it. Otherwise you'd get more for the scrap metal value than anything else.

Hell, we were still using WWII BAR's for range practice when I was in cadets.

its true they rnt that expensive but prices like anything depend on its rarity.  A lot of times some of these old guns are found in old military warehouses in random countries in Europe and Asia.  When a stockpile is found the prices go down depending on how many are found. I think u can find these things out best on certain firearms forums. I couldnt really name any tho

13 Spider Bloody Chain said:
American automatic rifles in the British army?  :???:

RAF actually :razz: The rumour was that they were left over supplies from the liberation of Europe, but I suspect it more likely they were bought in the fifties when the Yanks started upgrading their kit and had a ton of obsolete firearms to get rid of. Though it might just be cynicism with the military budget; the other rumour was that our training aircraft (Chipmunks and Nimrods) were supplied by Blue Peter and made largely out of cling film, crisp wrappers and elastic bands. Having flown a few I'm tempted to agree.

pchalk said:
Its true they rnt that expensive but prices like anything depend on its rarity.  A lot of times some of these old guns are found in old military warehouses in random countries in Europe and Asia.
There's hundreds which were brought back as souvenirs too. Officer's pistols in particular.

Back
Top Bottom