Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 5 - Virtual Skeletons

Users who are viewing this thread

Happy Friday to avid readers and passers by. It has been a little while since our last Bannerlord Blog. In this entry we are once more decreasing the number of unblogged rooms in the office by one. Although some animations are made and polished in various parts of the office, many are captured in our very own motion capture studio near the main door of our offices. The animation hub and thus the associated blog room for this episode.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/6

I think what Amontadillo was implying was that it would take more than just a faulty political system to ruin Bannerlord and "screw" us. If that's the only thing wrong with Bannerlord on release, I'll be quite pleased with it myself.

Orion said:
...If that's the only thing wrong with Bannerlord on release, I'll be quite pleased with it myself.

true but yet, do you imagine maxing a character and then by bugs in politics etc to come to a deadend...? you'd be super pissed...

*****slaproof-vest said:
plus it's not irrelevant at all cause if the unfinished, unpolished and terribly buggy political system remains the same in bannerlord, we are screwed....
Needs enhancements. Maybe (what game wouldn't benefit from added content?). But broken? Hell no. Besides, with what you've already posted, i'd say you've already made your mind up on Bannerlords far before you even got to any Diplomacy.

The warband SP do indeed seem broken in comparison to the quality of multiplayer part of the game, imo. The AI stupidity in combat and diplomacy might have a central role in that.

Danik said:
The warband SP do indeed seem broken in comparison to the quality of multiplayer part of the game, imo. The AI stupidity in combat and diplomacy might have a central role in that.
Uhh mmmkay buddy. Broken would mean unplayable. Sure its no Crusader Kings 2 and it could do with some improvements. But it sure as **** ain't broken. Otherwise it wouldn't have the SP fan base it does. I can agree that multiplayer is more challenging, but that's because you have individual players behind every single sword and bow. You can't compare SP campaign to MP skirmish. And if you tried to, i'd pick Sp every time. It's a far more rewarding experience.

LordCorbin said:
Danik said:
Uhh mmmkay buddy. Broken would mean unplayable. Sure its no Crusader Kings 2 and it could do with some improvements. But it sure as **** ain't broken. Otherwise it wouldn't have the SP fan base it does. I can agree that multiplayer is more challenging, but that's because you have individual players behind every single sword and bow. You can't compare SP campaign to MP skirmish. And if you tried to, i'd pick Sp every time. It's a far more rewarding experience.

Well, yes it isn't as far as "broken" but it surely needs some enhancement, Well of course I wouldn't expect TW to fix this in the Warband, but umm....They'll fix it, in Bannerlord.

LordCorbin said:
*****slaproof-vest said:
...with what you've already posted, i'd say you've already made your mind up on Bannerlords far before you even got to any Diplomacy.

would you care to explain what you mean? i didnt make my mind in anything yet pal cause i've seen no game content. till now they've only released some lazy ass enhanced-warband-graphics screenshots. nothing on the new politics, economy, strategy system, social interactions etc...(IF they have made any serious progress in any of these)...

jacobhinds said:
:roll:

You do know what early development is, right? Besides, they're not obliged to show all their features.

yeah but what strikes me as strange is why did they anounce it from 2012 when it wasnt even an idea inside their head? to create some hype? with what? with that punny video?  :roll:

jacobhinds said:
:roll:

You do know what early development is, right? Besides, they're not obliged to show all their features.

many big companies in their big titles as you ve seen explicitely in a ridiculous degree explains every system, foe, weapon etc of their game, make a dozen of trailers for them, even make funny names for them etc.. taleworlds works just the oppoisite. i think the balance is somewhere between. create hype with a clever way when needed.

as for the "all their features". yeah but not no features either. what proof do they gave till now that they differentiate from warband? -as many blame them that they don't- what is their proof to beat that claim...?

*****slaproof-vest said:
many big companies in their big titles as you ve seen explicitely in a ridiculous degree explains every system, foe, weapon etc of their game, make a dozen of trailers for them, even make funny names for them etc.. taleworlds works just the oppoisite. i think the balance is somewhere between. create hype with a clever way when needed.
Which big companies seem to have a trend of either not delivering at all or only delivering a very underwhelming version of what they claim. See Creative Assembly for an example of the worst offender in the industry. Taleworlds work the opposite because they seem to have the right idea of showing only what has been done to a satisfactory level. They're not sharing what they think they will do but haven't done or could potentially find out later down the line to be horrible to implement (again see Creative Assembly). Also, Taleworlds is a small studio. I would prefer that they do not spend their time and money elsewhere to create hype content just to rouse us up unlike many of the AAA developers/publishers. The original M&B created hype by releasing a gameplay video of a system that was novel for its time. I assume Bannerlord will do something similar and I'll be lining up to throw my wallet at them yet again.

*****slaproof-vest said:
as for the "all their features". yeah but not no features either. what proof do they gave till now that they differentiate from warband? -as many blame them that they don't- what is their proof to beat that claim...?
Again another mistake with the industry. The M&B players don't want features tacked on to say that the game is different than warband. As far as I am concerned, they can keep the level of work to that of a small studio as long as they either fix up the AI, or make most of the engine softcoded so it can be remedied at the expense of modders. We already seen that they are putting in effort into the graphical departments like making the animations less stiff and more natural. Again, they are only showing what they have deliberated on and what they have already made headways into.

Even if the only difference in the end compared to warband is "The engine Bannerlord runs on is basically open source-esque", I can already see that the general crowd in TW would be celebrating that for a long time to come. Jagged Alliance 2 survived for 15 years after access to the source codes was made available. Imagine what a game like Bannerlord can do in the same position.

for me taleworlds is doing it right. Simply because they are not doing the usual thing of;

"Oh this "new" (but really its the exact same game with more bugs added) game will have epic battles of millions of troops and this and that and something else which we say will be in the game but probably won't be, but we will advertise it as having it anyway."

Instead taleworlds so far has just announced what they HAVE worked on and implemented. Not made over the top claims and promised things that sound good but are unreasonable.

I mean, Warband was just an enhancement to original mount and blade anyway.

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
*****slaproof-vest said:
Which big companies seem to have a trend of either not delivering at all or only delivering a very underwhelming version of what they claim. See Creative Assembly for an example of the worst offender in the industry. Taleworlds work the opposite because they seem to have the right idea of showing only what has been done to a satisfactory level. They're not sharing what they think they will do but haven't done or could potentially find out later down the line to be horrible to implement (again see Creative Assembly). Also, Taleworlds is a small studio. I would prefer that they do not spend their time and money elsewhere to create hype content just to rouse us up unlike many of the AAA developers/publishers. The original M&B created hype by releasing a gameplay video of a system that was novel for its time. I assume Bannerlord will do something similar and I'll be lining up to throw my wallet at them yet again.

*****slaproof-vest said:
Again another mistake with the industry. The M&B players don't want features tacked on to say that the game is different than warband. As far as I am concerned, they can keep the level of work to that of a small studio as long as they either fix up the AI, or make most of the engine softcoded so it can be remedied at the expense of modders. We already seen that they are putting in effort into the graphical departments like making the animations less stiff and more natural. Again, they are only showing what they have deliberated on and what they have already made headways into.

Even if the only difference in the end compared to warband is "The engine Bannerlord runs on is basically open source-esque", I can already see that the general crowd in TW would be celebrating that for a long time to come. Jagged Alliance 2 survived for 15 years after access to the source codes was made available. Imagine what a game like Bannerlord can do in the same position.

If you read my posts im a dedicated classic M&B fan and i talk here about these guys that post "if i don't see somthing that  make it something more than a refined M&B mod i don't buy it". i would love the game to be a commercial success, im not against it.

The game will still be a commercial success even without those people buying it. They say that now, but they will be the first people to scoop it up once the preorder has a discount to it because they had a taste of Warband. Other games with similar gameplay such as chivalry and WoTR cames no where close to the complexity and freedom offered by the single player portion of this 'simple' game that Warband is. We'll still line up to throw our money at it. The only way I can see M&B losing out is if someone made what essentially is M&B with enhanced AI, a functioning siege with multiple approaches, diplomacy, a modding platform with the combined fluidity of Dark Messiah's combat system tacked onto M&B's strike and parry system.

It doesn't matter if you're the most dedicated fan either way, you're suggesting that Bannerlord be the most perfect incarnation of M&B from what I've seen in the last page. Read my post again for why Taleworlds should never ever consider overstretching. Consider that most AAA games that we still consider **** shovelware are made by 300-500 strong dev teams who are given a 1.5-3 year development cycle. Now consider that most of those AAA games don't even approach Warband's level despite the flaws Warband has. Now consider that Taleworlds is a 50 man development team. So a leap in logic dictates that if Taleworlds was in charge of an AAA **** shovelware, it'll still take them 4.5-9 years of development to complete that same AAA game that most of us wouldn't play again after the first 20 hours or so. Now consider that they are in fact developing Bannerlord from scratch, new engine and all (unlike the AAAs). Suddenly, not having anything to show after 2 years seems to be pretty normal for me. Seems to me it's more of an instant gratification issue with the people demanding new blogs and such. Why can't they do something else until there is a Bannerlord on the shelf if the wait is so excruciating for them.

Me personally, have been waiting for Bannerlord since the first M&B came out because as nice as Warband was, MP wasn't my thing due to my horridly unstable internet. Should we now proceed to measure dicks? :lol:

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
The game will still be a commercial success even without those people buying it. They say that now, but they will be the first people to scoop it up once the preorder has a discount to it because they had a taste of Warband. Other games with similar gameplay such as chivalry and WoTR cames no where close to the complexity and freedom offered by the single player portion of this 'simple' game that Warband is. We'll still line up to throw our money at it. The only way I can see M&B losing out is if someone made what essentially is M&B with enhanced AI, a functioning siege with multiple approaches, diplomacy, a modding platform with the combined fluidity of Dark Messiah's combat system tacked onto M&B's strike and parry system.

It doesn't matter if you're the most dedicated fan either way, you're suggesting that Bannerlord be the most perfect incarnation of M&B from what I've seen in the last page. Read my post again for why Taleworlds should never ever consider overstretching. Consider that most AAA games that we still consider **** shovelware are made by 300-500 strong dev teams who are given a 1.5-3 year development cycle. Now consider that most of those AAA games don't even approach Warband's level despite the flaws Warband has. Now consider that Taleworlds is a 50 man development team. So a leap in logic dictates that if Taleworlds was in charge of an AAA **** shovelware, it'll still take them 4.5-9 years of development to complete that same AAA game that most of us wouldn't play again after the first 20 hours or so. Now consider that they are in fact developing Bannerlord from scratch, new engine and all (unlike the AAAs). Suddenly, not having anything to show after 2 years seems to be pretty normal for me. Seems to me it's more of an instant gratification issue with the people demanding new blogs and such. Why can't they do something else until there is a Bannerlord on the shelf if the wait is so excruciating for them.

Me personally, have been waiting for Bannerlord since the first M&B came out because as nice as Warband was, MP wasn't my thing due to my horridly unstable internet. Should we now proceed to measure dicks? :lol:

your comment makes no sense. especially the last sentence. i never said i want it perfect and yes i know most of these guys are bluffing. taleworlds imo and for my tastes doesnt have much to do to improve it. just expand and polish the already great potential that exists. and please cut the pseudofreudian bullsht, gratification and such. we only are curious to see where the thing is heading. and yes after 2 years they could/should show some gameplay, ingame systems demonstration.

I think TW created an awful mistake by announcing Bannerlord too early, which produces our high anticipation related on the hype, which is why we are jabbering about a not-yet-released game impatiently whereas the game, is estimated to be released at 2015 :wink:.

EDITED: LATE 2015

Nobleman said:
I think TW created an awful mistake by announcing Bannerlord too early, which produces our high anticipation related on the hype, which is why we are jabbering about a not-yet-released game impatiently whereas the game, is estimated to be released at 2015 :wink:.

i think old systems like mine from 2007 wont do much then  :wink: i should buy a new one. it played games well till 2012. those released after then it was impossibble.

*****slaproof-vest said:
Nobleman said:

i think old systems like mine from 2007 wont do much then  :wink: i should buy a new one. it played games well till 2012. those released after then it was impossibble.

Windows XP?

Tell me about your specs good sir... :wink:?

Back
Top Bottom