Importance of peasants in the Dark and Medieval Ages

Users who are viewing this thread

Ofcrouse peasants were important, you wouldn't want your men getting slowed down by all those arrows and fight fresh enemies now would you?

:shock: That's a looooong loooong time ago...
the riot i was speaking about took place in 1507 in Transylvania (couldn't find it in Wikipedia) and it's one of the few organised riots in The Romanian Kingdoms...
And I am eager to learn... that was the first peasant uprising in the Dark Ages?

There were plenty of peasant uprisings over here.

In fact, we rebelled against William the Conqueror initially. Not necessarily because of any problem with him, we just tend to take any excuse to smash stuff up.

Well that, and the fact that those French horses would've made good eating.

Dark Ages = Early Middle Ages between let's see "(roughly) 476AD to 1000AD." (wikipedia)

meaning

The uprising against Saint Olaf was in the Dark Ages

The riot from 1507 wasn't in the Dark Ages

Eogan said:
I always figured that pawns in chess were a pretty good indicator of the importance of peasants in the Middle Ages.

agreed. maybe not that they played the exact same role as on a chess board, but who does?  I think that any chess player that thinks of pawns as useless will lose, jsut as any general/;eader that thinks of peasents as uselss cannon-fodder will lose.  Not that one of their big roles wasnt cannon-fodder, i know thats what id mainly use them as, but ti wasnt all they were good for.

Raz said:
voulge said:
there is historical proof that the first crusade was led by a group of peasants that massacred turkish armies and destroyed many cities along the way.  But it was probably the numbers that are what made them win.
It most definately was not led by peasants, but alot of peasants did participate, yes. The reason they beat the Turkish armies is because they were organized on a tribal basis, and only had to face of few at a time.
something i missed out it was led by a hermit priest witch was technically a peasant because he was very poor.  His name was Peter the hermit.

Eogan said:
I always figured that pawns in chess were a pretty good indicator of the importance of peasants in the Middle Ages.
Yeh so did I, But I gotta get one of you guys to tell me if it was true that nobility did not like using the pawns.

Better the death of 100 peasents than one noble in their mind. Why risk your own life if you can get 10 peasents to do it?  Sure there was chivalry and bravery and all, but not many of them went to the extreme and added in excessive stupidity.

Right...
Got an exception... but be carefull cause it's weird! (and it's true)
July 26 1476... The peasants from King's Stephen The Great demanded to go home and WORK ON THE CROPS. The King accepted although Mehmed II was leading (personally) his army against Stephen... He lost the battle at Razboieni. It is said that when he retreated in the woods, some nobles remained behind as sacrifice detachment... they died while the peasants were at their home doing whatever things they had to do. After this battle, many nobles disappeared from the chronicles...

but stephen the Great was a weird sort of king and problably wasnt popular with the nobility anyway.

only problem with wikipedia (if i remember correctly) is that anyone can write an entry for it.  not saying its totally wrong and useless, ive used it numerous times, it just may not be totally accurate.

Back
Top Bottom