AAR: The Harrowing Tale of a Wandering Knight-in-Training.

What do you think of this AAR?

• I'm subscribing!

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Good.

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Average.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Poor.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • This is garbage.

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

LastCypher

Recruit
After reading Monnikje's moving tale of a Noble turned Merchant turned Emperor I couldn't wait to try my hand at an AAR myself. So here goes.

Sir Cipher
Knight-in-Training
A Mount & Blade: Warband AAR
Inspired by: "Me, Floris" by Monnikje
Written, Directed, and Produced by: LastCypher (AKA Me)
Graphics courtesy of Artifex
AARWanderingKnightintraing.png

Introduction
May 20, 1257 AD

Dear Diary,

It's been almost three summers since I became a squire. A year longer than every other squire I know! I decided this time last year that if I wasn't a knight by now, I'd leave to make my fortune in one of the neighboring countries. I just couldn't handle my master holding me back like this. So the time finally came and I slipped off in the night, joining on to one of the caravans headed out. While the caravan was pleased to have a Knight-in-Training aboard for protection, they didn't realize I was about as useful with a blade as a pig is with a harp. I think that small fact made itself clear when bandits attacked us a week into the journey.

The bandits swarmed us at dawn, just as the caravan master started up the oxen. It was a great battle, so I've overheard from the bandits as they drive our wagon. I was clubbed in the head quite early on and taken as a slave or a ransom or what have you. It was about this time I knew what a mistake I'd made, with the days getting hotter and the nights nearly freezing me to death, I estimated we'd entered a desert. When I heard the bandits suggesting they just finish me, as the food was running low, I knew I had to make my escape. I collected up my things and as much food as I could carry and slipped off at dusk.

At this point I swore a blood oath that I, as a knight, would never sneak or hide again. I would fight my enemies till one or both of us died, and then I would fight some more! I'd hold up the most rigid sense of honor and chivalry! I would be a knight of legend! Assuming I didn't get a blade in my back in the process. In my haste to make this oath of honor and knighthood, I forgot that I was in the desert, miles from nowhere, with little food, and now a gash in my hand. "But knights don't complain!" I told myself, and started my treck north, where I hope I'll find civilisation... or a camel.​

mb1mo.jpg

His father was: An impoverished noble
In his early life he was: A page at a nobleman's court
As a young adult he became: A squire
He left because of: Wanderlust​

mb3q.jpg

Chapter 1: Bandits in the night
May 23, 1257

Dear Diary,

What an odd place this is, I truly have not seen a city like this in all my studies as a squire. About two days after I fell out, I mean, jumped out of the wagon I found a coastline. After many tears of joy and realizing it was salt water only AFTER I plunged in with my mouth open, I followed the coast north, past a nearby mountain and lo and behold, a city! I was ecstatic, thanking every god I had ever heard of that I survived this forsaken journey through the desert. I learned that this city was called Shariz. Interesting name to be sure. Unfortunately, the people of Shariz were not as happy to see me as I was to see them, and as I stumbled in on my first night, I was welcomed by the sound of cold steel hissing out of it's scabbard. As luck would have it, it was only one common bandit this time. No match for the great Sir Cipher! The great knight of legend! I got him with a lucky shot from my crossbow as he ran at me but he must have had some adrenaline flowing as he hardly even stumbled. I can only dream that all my battles will be as epic and awe inspiring as this one. His club came down on my shield with a mighty blow, making me stagger beneath it. Surely this was the King of Bandits, a true warrior, a force to be reckoned with. As he recoiled from his last attack I dove in with my sword and, nearly spraining my wrist, ran him through with my blade! My first kill! Let all that hear my name tremble in terror for the Great Knight Cipher has come at last!

A merchant ran up to me after the battle and, before I could give him my autograph and graciously accept all his wealth and virgin brides, he cuffed me upside the head. "Why'd you kill that old man?" He yelled. I looked down at my fallen foe and sure enough, there was a tiny old geezer laying dead on the steps. I contemplated this for the next few hours and came to only one conclusion. My sword must be blessed by the gods to steal the youth of my fallen enemies! The merchant was unconvinced but he said he had a task for me. "You're one crazy bastard my friend, but crazy is what I need right now." He said as he started on this woeful tale of a corrupt guard captain who allowed his brother to be kidnapped by nefarious bandits! I was so moved by this tale that I swore on my honor, vengeance to all the bandits involved in this hateful crime! "Yea... Sure... Listen, here's a hundred denars go get some peasants and get my brother back. Swear vengeance on your own time." He handed me the purse filled with strange gold tokens I can only assume to be the currency of this land. Hah. Soon enough everyone would be trading with gold and silver "Ciphers" instead of these measly "Denars".

But now diary I must rest, for a new day awaits me, and a vile horde of evil-doers must be slain!
Until next time diary,
Sir Cypher
Knight-in-Training
For Great Victory!​

Chapter 2: Fighting is Hard...
May 27, 1257

Dear Diary,

Either all these blows to the head are addling my thoughts, or I'm actually becoming fairly decent with a blade! Years of training from a so-called "Knight" and nothing. A week in this strange Calradia and I'm a master swordsman! Well, against bandits. Usually. If I'm with my men. Anyway.......

I left Shariz to start recruiting men to fight for honor and justice! At my first stop, Ayn Assuadi, only three peasants wanted to join me in battling evil. Hmph. They'll sure regret that once legends of my prowess are being told all over the land! The village of Hawaha was marginally brighter, I got four recruits from there. With my seven men we rode, well actually I rode they walked.... damn peasants....
With my seven men we attacked a large company of thirteen looters! It was a glorious battle, arrows flying, rocks hurtling through the air! We killed six and injured seven, my first captives! Mother would be so proud! We returned to Shariz as battle hardened warriors, morale was soaring after such a decisive victory, but that didn't satisfy the merchant. He immediately demanded we go after the bandits that kidnapped his brother, even as I was getting stitched up by the surgeon I hired that very day! "A knight doesn't complain!" I told myself and we took off towards our objective. At this point I had hired Jeremus and Ymira. A surgeon and a woman. Ymira is bound to make my life easier once I have lavish estates all over the continent, and surely a knight can't be expected to manage his own land! We have better, knightly things to do. Like joust. And wooing maidens.

The party of bandits we found was small and pathetic, only four men! We descended upon them like the wrath of heaven incarnate. By the end of the battle they were practically begging me to let them tell me where their friends were! Despicable. No honor amongst thieves it seems. We stayed at Shariz for the night, giving my surgeon Jeremus time to work his magic, and at dusk the next day we rode to Tilimsal at the request of a peasant I met during our stay. His village was over run by bandits! This battle was not quite as glorious... My horse took a spear during the charge, flinging me headfirst into a horde of troops. My troops survived as they pulled me out of the fray but the farmers that fought alongside us... Let's just say there isn't anyone left to complain in Tilimsal...

We marched on to Qalyut, where the kidnappers camp was situated not a hundred yards away, and I say MARCHED literally. Seeing as my horse is dead and the constant demands of pay and plunder from my troops is driving my into poverty, it seems that the soles of my boots will be well used these next few weeks... We set up camp to let our wounds heal and attacked the bandits at midnight, it was then I learned just how difficult aiming a crossbow is at night. It was a battle for the history books, and many rocks bounced off my shield that night. Again, a victory with no injuries from my party. The troops wanted to camp for the night and celebrate the slaughter but instead we marched back to Shariz, not stopping for the entire night and into the morning. Perhaps their exhaustion is why we got decimated the next day as we collided with the bandits in the city streets. When did bandits get so good at swordplay I wonder? I bet there is some mysterious overlord teaching them. That has to be why I got knocked out again........

Until next time diary,
Sir Cipher
Knight-in-Training
For Great Victory!

mb10o.jpg

mb9b.jpg

Chapter 3: The Tournaments
April 1, 1257

Dear Diary,

I'm writing this in Praven, the capital city of Swadia, with a high heart. Things have been going well as of late, and I've only been unconcious thrice this past week! A new record, this surely indicates that my lot in life is going up! But I'm getting ahead of myself. After the escapade with the guard captain, the merchant was told by the ruler of Shariz to find a new home and advised me to do the same before any negative attention finds itself to me. I found a wonderful little shop entitled 'Horrible Harry's Half-off Horses' in which I found a VERY reasonably priced, albeit a tad lame in one foot, nag. And seeing as how effective the rocks the bandits throw at me are, I've decided to trade in my trusty crossbow for a used Jousting Lance and a large bag of stones. Payback shall be sweet as I rain down rocky justice on many a bandit skull!

I learned of a tournament being held in Durquba, a city to the east of Shariz, and though 'This is my chance to make a name for myself in Calradia!'Unfortunately, I missed it.... So instead we set off to Halmar, a city in another country called Swadia, pushing the troops as fast as they would go. I decided then and there that the tournaments were the only way I was going to gain recognition as a knight! When we arrived I sold the measly goods I had relinquished from nefarious bandit hands and entered the tournament with over a hundred denars in bets on myself. Feeling confident, I entered the tournament with my head held high as I knew there was not a man who could stop me in this arena.

I was bested in round one, but since I am such a figure of legend, they let me compete in round two as well! All was going well in round two but a clever parry from the last opponent left me on the ground, my horse dead, and my lance useless. The end was quick for me. But the judges, realizing the wrath that would be brought down on them, let me continue in my hunt for glory in round three! My team finished round three quickly, they were no match for our strength. Round four was almost sad, I had javelins and he a lance. After I de-horsed him and got off my own horse, seeing as I am an honorable knight after all, it got down to me prodding him with my javelin and him swinging his lance around like a giant staff, it was no match. A slaughter. It was that injustice and the next round's that I made me know just how corrupt the judges were. I had a twohanded sword and Dranton, my opponent, had a bow. I had nary a thing with which to deflect arrows. I was no match for that. My dreams of glory smashed in the final round. On top of that I was driven to poverty by my bets during the tourney. It seemed all was lost for me.

'A knight doesn't complain!' I told myself and sought Uxhal in chase of a renewed chance for glory. I stopped by a village by the name of Nomar to buy supplies and bolster my forces when I encountered a bandit infestation! With the bandits routed the peasants of Nomar were very grateful. They offered me what little they had left in payment. I had no choice but to accept, seeing as I was officialy bankrupt. I arrived at Uxhal during the night and when I went to the market to sell some goods, surprise surprise, another bandit ambush. Outnumbered and already wounded, their hidden archers picked me off from a distance. Not before I killed a large number of them though. Thankfully I hadn't any money for them to steal. So I sold my goods and commenced betting on my eventual win at the tourney.

It was like a dream. The rounds rushed by in a haze. Block. Parry. Stab. Constant battle. And then, before I knew it, I was kneeling before King Harlaus. He announced me the winner of this tournament; and having bet all my money on this, I made over 2000 denars of profit! I spent most of it on a new sabre and a nice shield, I'd like to see those bandits surprise me now that I had a good weapon in my hands! I felt somewhat.... lost for a while. I had focused all my thoughts so far on becoming a tourney champion, and now I've done just that. I decided that now was a good a time as any to make my pledge and become a vassal to a King. King Harlaus refused my oath of homage, and that night I pledged in secret to remove him from the throne no matter what it takes! No one disrespects the Great Sir Cipher!

But to do that I need a trustworthy companion. So starting now I'll begin on my search for a squire.

Until next time diary,
The Legendary Knight
Sir Cipher!
For Great Victory!

Chapter 4: A Foray into Trading
April 5, 1257

Dear Diary,

Headed off to the city of Yalen in Rhodok territory, I figure I can search for a squire there as well as participate in the upcoming tournament. Two bandits with one stone.

I arrived in Yalen and stopped in the tavern for a mug of liquid courage. I found two interesting characters debating over the training of soldiers. One, a man by the name of Lezalit, was a professional taskmaster who was very good at shaping up troops. While the other, a dark fellow who goes by Nizar, was a warrior in the search for glory. A perfect man to be my squire! And another to train my men for me! Truly the 'two bandits with one stone' epithet does not fit here. More like a downhill horde of evil doers with one massive boulder of justice! Alas I had not the denars to afford their services. I was already in debt to my current men, only seventy or so denars, and these men wanted seven hundred denars collectively! Truly the tournament, yet again, is my only hope. I must stop writing now diary, as the call of the arena is strong! Nearly as strong as the ale they serve here! Which I may or may not have had a few casks of. I'll write again with tales of conquer in the arena!

Yours truly,
The Master Knight
Sir Cipher
For Great Victory!

Dear Diary,

I write to you with great news! I sold some of my troops gear in order to place some bets in the tourney and it payed off handsomely! Almost as handsome as myself! With a profit of twelve hundred denars, I payed off my troops and hired the squire and taskmaster! I bought a small bit of linen to sell at Veluca, now don't chastise me diary! I know trading isn't in knightly code but the bandits around here are scarce. Surely they flee from mere mention of my name! And what bandits I do find have naught but the clothes on their backs. On the way Ymira told me grand stories of this city and I knew then, no matter what happened, I would have Veluca. If I go on to become a king, Veluca will be my capital. They had wine in abundance, so I ordered my troops to carry a barrel on their backs and one under each arm. And if they so much as stuck their tongue out to taste the air around it I'd chop it off. I'll not have such a lucrative investment swindled by thirsty peasants!

I set off to the city of Shariz, as men in the desert must have great want for wine, and when I arrived it was under seige by a Count of the Rhodok persuasion! Even the Rhodoks, who have no cause to fear me, scattered in terror before me. Truly my name has become a curse among these mere mortals.

My trading didn't go as spectacularly as I envisioned and exited that profession only marginally richer for my troubles. Now I must go back to overseeing the training of my soldiers, for we ride to war as soon as we can.

With high hopes,
God Among Knights
Sir Cipher
For Great Victory!
The length of this story will depend primarily on the popularity it gets, so if you want more tell your friends to stop by :lol:
/end of shameless plug

"With my seven men we rode, well actually I rode they walked.... damn peasants...."  :lol:

I agree, damn the peasants and their lack of mounts! Maybe a mod where peasants have traveling pony companions named Bill (like Bilbo Baggins).

Anyhoo, kudos and keep up the good work!

Funny thing is your character's got the pained look and the flat forehead of someone who's recieved too many rocks between the eyes.

tyrannicide said:
Funny thing is your character's got the pained look and the flat forehead of someone who's recieved too many rocks between the eyes.

He has received more than his fair share of flying rocks to the face.

LastCypher said:
tyrannicide said:
He has received more than his fair share of flying rocks to the face.

I say there's still room for a few more. :wink:

Very good, i like the arrogance of the main character. However, dont put all the chatpters into spoilers, it is kind of annyoing. Also if you dont want anymore rocks to the face, buy a Nordic shield.

What's wrong with chapters in spoilers?
I much prefer it to trawling through 25 pages of people commenting on Me,Floris

LastCypher said:
THIS IS A SHAMELESS BUMP! READ MY STORY PEOPLE!
K not so shameless  :oops:

Trust me my friend, you have nothing to be ashamed about. Your story is pure awesome.  :grin:

Mrr.Phil said:
Very good, i like the arrogance of the main character. However, dont put all the chatpters into spoilers, it is kind of annyoing. Also if you dont want anymore rocks to the face, buy a Nordic shield.

I did that so I could fit all or most of the story into one post without it being a huge wall o' text. It also keeps anyone that wants to read from having to sift through the comments to find the next chapter.

Back
Top Bottom