Fantasy mod (Original thread) Includes FAQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantasy mod

Preword. Read!

Please note that 99% of what follows in the thread is not anything like the current mod.(Except for this first post, which is updated constantly to fit the actual mod)

I've gone from an original 'rediculous fantasy' idea to a 'realistic fantasy' ala Tolkien style mod. The mod has changed COMPLETELY, so please don't base your thoughts of this thread! Rather check out the newer topics, such as the screenshot thread, or of course just try the mod first hand. :smile:

FAQ

I'm playing, and am not finding my way around getting an effective army or finding the weaknesses and strenghts of the troops. What do I do?

Read this: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,26092.0.html and use the information well.

Rank system? Build system? Economics system? War system? Whats all this in short?

Playing as an alliance character, your main goal is to rise in rank. To do this, defeat hostile parties for fame 'points'.

Troll war parties give 20 points, barbarians 5 etc. etc. The harder the enemy, the more points.
At certain ammounts you gain rank, and with it wages and such. Talk to the grand admiral in the castle of the headquarters for more information.

Once you have a total of 1000 points, you can get rank of commander - this opens alot of doors for you.

* You can start settling farms, that can grow to eventually being major cities
* You can convince the elves to join the war, if you know Elvish too.
* You will become incredibly wealthy if these features are used correctly.
* Parties will have more respect for you and highly likely let you order them around.

Elvish?

The mod features its own elven language - fully made up, but somewhat functional. You can learn the language ingame, and from there on press translate buttons, and you can also acces an ingame dictionary - for all of you bored enough to learn the language. :razz:

For more info, talk to Thrassassil in the Zarda tavern.

Whats with the helmets playing as an orc/troll ?

As of 0.7 there's a simple system that devides trollish helmets from the game. If you're a troll you can visit the helmet merchants, located at the trollish camp and Tandusi.
If you're an orc, you cant buy helmets. (yet) I'm not sure what I'll do with orcs and helmets but thats for later versions anyway.

I'm to weak to start fighting troll parties / alliance parties..what to do?

As of 0.7 there's a nice and simple system to get you strong enough. There's two barbarian camps one on trollish area and one on alliance area. Each camp spawns barbarian parties of middle strenght so you can fight those and upgrade all you need before marching into the core war. If you can't take on the Barbarians yet, you can train at the arena in Zarda or th arena in the Trollish Camp.

I need some more info on starting out

You can talk to the old man in Zarda if you are with the Alliance.

I want to use some stuff from the mod.. can I ..?

Mod content is closed, meaning if you want to use something you personaly ask me trough PM for allowance.
Allowance depends on who you are, and what you intend to do with it. and what you actually want to use.

( Content can be either digital stuff or scripts. )
When allowed, don't forget the credit :smile:

Of course most people know this, but just a heads up.

Where is this 'warcamp' quest?

When you have a nice army and character you can adress the commander tyldros in the headquarters camp. This quest is for Alliance only and is (should be) top notch difficulty.
Current reward is gold, later on honour and popularity will be added.

EDIT: It seems like the quest is not properly working in the 0.6 alpha YET. I'm quite sure I finally got it fixed and this will be for the 0.7 release.
Note that , to prevent the bug, all you have to do is do the quest once, and never talk to Commander Tyldros again afterwards since you're only supposed to do the quest once. :razz:

So the alliance has this warquest to make money out of.. what do the troll invaders have then?

Trollish invaders currently have a mere and small money based order system too trollish war parties. They also offer reinforcements and easy battles as they attack and invade enemy land.
Easy ways to earn alot of money are to be added in v >0.5

I spotted a bug or error.. what do I do?

Post it in the bug reports topic. Discribe or screenshot the error, and explain what you were doing before or what made it crash.
If you spot one, please do report it. Makes life easier for me :razz:

Team :

Highelf -  Scripting, moddeling, ideas, map maker. (Nearly everything, actually)
Leodan Flamelock - Moddeling and ideas for features / story

Contributors and credits so far :

digital art contirbutors:
-Lord Jaden            -Janus 
-Yoshiboy              -Raz
-Talak                    -RR_Raptor65
-Aenarion              - Merlkir

testing :

- Dwarfs_ftw
-JaChu
(let me know if I forgot you)

other:
-Pellidon for ideas
-Crazyeyes for some troop tree suggestions
-Blademaster for his great quest ideas he PMed me.
-Thorgrim for his absolutely amazing mod tools.
-Yoshiboy and fisheye for helping me out on errors and scripting.
-Winter for the python documentation, and some craftmod code and brfs
-Thus_Spake_Nosferatu for general help with scripting.
-Elara for the great tactics guide.

-And ofcourse Armagan,Ipek and Co. for the game  :razz:

What will the mod feature that makes it so different from other mods?

note; the following is what I currently want for full release. (You never stop having ideas and making changes, eh?)

Rank system

The rank system is one of the most important features of Fantasy mod. In the beginning, ranks such as recruit (Alliance) or Slave (Troll) will get you little to no money.
As you build up your charachter (See: Character system) you will earn the possibility to gain ranks, in many different ways.

If you tend to kill your own alot your thrustworthyness as a hero in the world will drop, leading you to the 'evil' path.
This could possibly lead towards an activation of some special dialog that will let you threathen a lord for the next rank.

If you go the economic path and you raid alot of Caravans, make alot of money etc. you will gain diplomatic and economic skill, this combined with a generally bad reputation will let you, for example, bribe the lord to give your rank.

Of course, with evil comes good. If you're a brave feller, you kill your enemies, do your missions, follow the book, your 'hero' ranking will increase. Like that you will gain ranks the 'right' way.

Ranks aren't fully developed yet, but as I said, the first few ranks are simply to gain money. Once you hit the rank of General/Commander (Alliance) or Warchief /Warlord (Troll).
You get some special hero's to join your party. More specifically, a economic supervisor, a military advisor and a building architect/engineer.

Logically, these hero's help you develop your party and give you features and information. First, let's explain the building architect/engineer.(Just read on)

Build system

Once hit the rank of General or Commander, you gain a 'hero' building engineer/architect. This man will enable you to settle farms wherever you want, if you have sufficient money (and you didn't hit the limit of farms already)
These farms grow with time. Farm -> Settlement -> Town -> City -> Large city. To build a farm, you move to a location on the map, you'll be able to camp (ala Craftmod) and talk to your hero's there. Just talk to the engineer and tell him you want to settle a farm there.)

There's a large percentage system that allows your population in the settlements to grow realistically, but that has been developed on paper so I'll leave that out for now. (It's just a bunch of numbers anyway)
Simply, the longer you wait, the more population. The more population, the more money. Talking about money, let's move on to the next 'hero'. The Economic supervisor.

Economic system

From the moment you've built your first farm, you have an economic income. This is very very simple. The more farms the more money. The longer you wait, the farms will grow and upgrade, hence make more money.
Your economic supervisor (ES) will keep track of all of this stuff. How many settlements of wich kind? What are they making per day? Per week?
And the ES will also deliver you the money. The money from taxes, etc arrives trough scouts or caravans (or whatever) and you can just camp and ask the ES to give you the income so far.

Now that's explained, there's one last 'hero'. The Military advisor (MA).
Again, when camped you can talk to this guy. He'll simply give you feedback on how the war is going. How strong the enemies are, how strong you are, how strong allies are, and when attacks are expected to be launched.
This will be expanded, but the first few next releases focus on the building and economics system.

Character system

In Fantasy mod, I'm planning to go beyond the character window. Your actions in the world will seriously affect your way of handling.

Lots of new variables such as 'Thrustworthyness' 'Diplomatic skill' 'Economic skill' 'Heroicness' etc. Will affect dialog in the game.
Mostly important for lord conversation. Gaining ranks is one of the most important things in the mod. Depending on these modifiers there's alot of difference.

If you're a bad guy, killing farmers (as alliance) all the time, attacking caravans, etc. You're heroicness will drop and treacherousness increase. If it has dropped sufficiently enough you will eventually even be able to threathen lords for the rank you want.
Eventually missions might also be affected by this. (Assassination, etc.)

If you are a very economic feller (attacking enemy caravans), you'll be able to bribe the lord too, for example.

Currently I'm still very much developing all of the above systems.

Race system

A dynamical race system that lets the player become different races such as trolls, minotaurs, elves, or , ofcourse, humans.
All races will be fleshed out to the bone. Examples : tens of different face textures for each race, armors and helmet specifically made for the shape of the race.
Different and new face animation keys, such as enlarging  cranium or the teeth of a troll.

A total fantasy feeling. A world at war. A full invasion of evil. And a fully heralrdic faction.
Hundreds of new textures , weapons, items and more.

Tens of quests and Warquests wich are specifically made for the war system.

Create your own unique hero system

Tons of weapons, armours, mounts and items that are not or nearly not used in the game. All are buyable in stores, and let you create your own unique hero.

From a lizard riding, heavy armoured, flaming sword wielding elf ..too a rhino riding, giant sword wielding war troll.

And much more. . .

How does the warsystem work?

From the alliance factions side :

I'm going to keep the explaination simple though.

There is a headquarter camp that has all the officers and important people in the world discussing the invasion of the trollish faction.
When you are respected and high in ranks, you will get War quests from some of those high rank officers / warlords.

these can vary from attacking and destroying a randomly spawned warcamp
to defeating huge armies and special boss commanders. (For example, a Rhino riding troll commander)

as rewards you will gain points. when these points are higher than a certain level you can gain the rank of officer and then you get to order war parties around to help you defend the land.

The trollish war system, first stages :

Its all about gold. ordering war parties around will cost you gold depending on their size.
Ofcourse with alot of gold spending comes gold earning.

basicly helping attacking and invading will raise points. When you beat 5 war parties for example, the points probably raise with 5.
Then when you can exchange these points for large ammounts of gold and such in a main war camp similar to the head quarters.

The alliance.

yes, the name is cheesy. buts its the name that applies most to the faction.

The alliance, is an alliance between human side factions. each of these side factions have its own stats, troop trees, herarldy, style of combat and their own parties wandering the map.

One time you might spot a blue heraldry infantry army that focuses on heavy mail and two handed weapons, wich would be called Guardians of the Throne.
the other time you might find a red heraldry mounted army that focuses on one handed weapons and shields wich would be called the Knights of the Alliance

Note that these side factions do not own towns. they are only parties, and all towns belong to the real faction, the alliance.
They cannot riot and attack each other either.

The trollish faction.

These are the invaders.

These trolls want to take over the humans, but as a repell the humans form the alliance and fight back. Thats when you come in, and fight for either of the factions.

Trollish faction armies will consist of mostly trolls. A bunch of minotaurs will fight for their cause too. wich would be the mercenaries, looking for a fight all the time.
then you have the cyclopses. these are the elitists. the stronger war machines. they can be compared to what Trolls or Olog hai are to Mordor in the world of Tolkien.

The elves.

The elves are a neutral race. they stay away from the war.
though, when meeting a trollish army they will fight, and they won't attack alliance armies either.

their strategy is speed and camouflage. bows and few mounts.

They are a elegant, friendly race. Living in the woods.

COOLIO! :grin: I don't really like Final Fantasy, but this mod...it makes me remember the chocobo in FF5 for SNES :grin: I probably won't be too much help, but if I learn modeling, I will maybe contribute :smile:

Make Chocobo's for mounts.

Yey!!  :grin:

I love fantasy! I'm in if you want me! I can make weapons... any type of 'em!
But I am already helping in 3 mods, so I will only 'help' and I don't want to be the main moddeler or anything...
:mrgreen:

Make Chocobo's for mounts

I wont let see any screens for now, but I can say Chocobo knights are a important unit for the "good guys"
and are already fully armored and mounted (on 2 different chocobos) in there.

thanks for the cheer, fisheye and blasius  :smile:

so I will only 'help' and I don't want to be the main moddeler or anything...

I would love any form of contribution. :grin:
You can pm me if you have a Idea what you want to make.. There's no list of what to do ,so you have freedom though do let me know at first.
So you dont do something that turns out to be done or not needed.

Thanks ,Will do yoshi :wink:

if anyone has any ideas whatsoever let me know

I have one minigame-quest Idea ready

Now anyone who played FF knows cactuar...

Well there will be some kindof quest,that sends you to find al the cactuar in the world

some will be scenes made for this,  eg: A huge forest ,or a huge desert area..
Then its up to you to find the lil' cactuar, and you'll get a item as reward or money
I'll need scripting help though on that :razz: I have models and written a conversation text (not triggers or conditions andso)
just the text for the one quest... and the models..

Ha! Can you make wakkas world champion as a throwing weapon? that would be amazing :smile:

Looks like you've got a good start, highelf. We need a closeup of that red mount though :grin:

You know, I was planning to start working on a mod that would be very different from others, something like a linear or semi-linear game with a distinctive ending and a score, made in such a way that there would be reason to replay it several times. I have not come up with any theme and anything would work. It would be mostly scripting different stuff on my part and I would not make any items.

I can't start working on it for at least a couple weeks though (and I have not yet decided if I will do it), but maybe if you're interested we could team up and put our ideas together. Just an idea.

Looking great. I love the ears :smile:) and the mount looks interesting. We could also use the troll head for TLD :smile: or maybe not, but it's lovely warcraftish anyway :smile:

Chel said:
Looks like you've got a good start, highelf. We need a closeup of that red mount though :grin:

You know, I was planning to start working on a mod that would be very different from others, something like a linear or semi-linear game with a distinctive ending and a score, made in such a way that there would be reason to replay it several times. I have not come up with any theme and anything would work. It would be mostly scripting different stuff on my part and I would not make any items.

I can't start working on it for at least a couple weeks though (and I have not yet decided if I will do it), but maybe if you're interested we could team up and put our ideas together. Just an idea.

Yeah I would love some scripting help :smile:

and please do take your time...
however making a linear or semi-linear Is abit farfetched for me, I would like to stick to the original idea of the game
a free world ,and you do whatever you want..
Its a great idea for a mod though.

I'll release some screens once and a while :d
the 'red mount' is some creature I made up ,I call it a hound ..Again it has a couple of varieties

Melkir, I thought about that troll for TLD too, If AW wants it .Its all his when I release (not soon though :grin:)

falandrew said:
Ha! Can you make wakkas world champion as a throwing weapon? that would be amazing :smile:

Coincidentially ,I made this a long time ago.. It can come in handy :smile:

WOO!!  I love fantasy as well as realism.  I would like to see a tiger mount.  For no reason other than that it would be cool.  However, I don't know wether the running animation would work right as a tiger, and the whole thing would have to be lower down to the ground.  The stuff so far looks great though.  Keep it up!

Well I thought about that too...
However its hard to texture.. and It would be a damn big lion/tiger whatever..

BTW: Animation for the hound works absolutely perfect. If I would do it ,the animation for a tiger would be good too

EDIT: 400th post  :cool:

You have a horse-sized dog and you're worried about a tiger being too large? I thought you were making fantasy.

Have you seen the wolves here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,10138.msg202782.html#msg202782

Looks awsome man, cant wait to play. Do you know if you are going to be including Cloud's sword, or that evil guys gigantic katana? (forgot his name). Also, if you want some awsome ideas for insane armors and items, you should check out the new Final Fantasy move, Advent Children. Good Luck*

DynastyFenix said:
Looks awsome man, cant wait to play. Do you know if you are going to be including Cloud's sword, or that evil guys gigantic katana? (forgot his name). Also, if you want some awsome ideas for insane armors and items, you should check out the new Final Fantasy move, Advent Children. Good Luck*

Clouds weapon (buster sword) is already in there.
and take it from me, Hitting someone with that massive thing Feel very goooood :p
Its my favorite up until now..

in the following screens i'll put clouds in.

Also I have seen the FF7 movie :wink:
its hard to put anything like that in though

WTF!!!! what are these wolves??? who the hell told me wargs were impossible ?? grrrr.....  :shock: :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom