You don't respawn in real life

Users who are viewing this thread

ecto_plasm said:
Insanity pleas are stupid.  It's a dumb legal classification with no connection to a defendant's medical or psychological state.  Show me the the little dip**** was paranoid schizophrenic or something, and maybe his defense should be taken seriously.
The fact that he shot his parents because they stopped him playing a game doesn't make you think he's a little messed up in the head?
Although, technically you could claim that all criminals are 'mentally ill'.

Let's see if we can get the same argument going in three or more threads.

Naridill said:
Ursca said:

Mental illness is caused by biochemical imbalances in the neural structure of the brain. Being an ******* is not. End of discussion :razz:

So, a group of people don't conform to society's standards. How exactly does that make them 'ill'? It just means they are prepared to live by different standards. Criminality is a progressional scale in which everyone exists.

Zaro's right.

Most criminals fall into the Innovative category of Merton's Typology of Deviance.

Conformists are those who accept both society's goals and means.  Goal=money and power, raising family, Means=holding down a job, obeying the law, having the same beliefs as everyone else, etc. Example: any character from Edward Scissorhands except the titular one.

Innovators accept society's goals but reject the means.  Goal: money and power, having a family, Means: murder and extortion, lying, cheating, selling drugs.  Example: Scarface

Ritualists reject a societies goals but still conform to the means.  They've lost the faith but kept the lip-service.  Goal: "Oh God I don't even know anymore" Means: white collar job, etc.  Example: Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman

Retreaters reject traditional goals and means.  Goal: getting high, Means: Doing drugs. Jason Schwartzmann's character in Spun

And finally Rebels seek to rewrite both the goals and the means and therefore fit outside the box.  Example: Dark Knight's Joker

So the point is criminals are really just creative.

Read about Strain Theory (sociology)

Zaro said:
Naridill said:
Ursca said:
Mental illness is caused by biochemical imbalances in the neural structure of the brain. Being an ******* is not. End of discussion :razz:
So, a group of people don't conform to society's standards. How exactly does that make them 'ill'? It just means they are prepared to live by different standards. Criminality is a progressional scale in which everyone exists.
I meant that 'mental illness' is caused by the balance of chemicals in your brain, but so is personality.
And if one were so inclined, they could claim that criminality is 'an impairment of normal physiological function affecting part or all of an organism' and as such is an illness.

Of course, before you do that, you have to determine what's 'normal', so good luck with that.

Naridill said:
Ursca said:

Quite wrong, failure to adhere to social norms of the present and you're often seen as crazy. It's not all just empircal rational explainations, simply having a ****ing up upbringing can send you bonkers due to having distorted social rules, not just a defective brain.

Tragically, you need to be wearing a brand new pair of Nike Cortez athletic shoes to even get on the resurrection ship.  It's part of the uniform.

In my opinion, FPS addiction should never excuse anyone for murdering his own family or anyone else. Seriously, his lawyer should be ashamed that he even defends him. Oh, and another thing: Does every second American have a gun or something? I keep seing news articles such as this, happening in the USA almost every week or two.

Illyrius said:
Seriously, his lawyer should be ashamed that he even defends him.

Suggesting a lawyer should feel shame is quite unreasonable. Lawyers aren't described as souless rodent scum without reason.

Illyrius said:
In my opinion, FPS addiction should never excuse anyone for murdering his own family or anyone else. Seriously, his lawyer should be ashamed that he even defends him. Oh, and another thing: Does every second American have a gun or something? I keep seing news articles such as this, happening in the USA almost every week or two.

Yes both my neighbors have guns, and I do not, or it would mess up the system.

It can't be blamed on gun ownership, as I seem to remember Canada having a higher rate of ownership?

Zaro, Zaro, Zaro...

I live in Canada. It may be different in Toronto, the only Canadian city with hard-core American crime, but most everywhere else, guns are a rarity, until you get to the "used for hunting and self-defense against beasts".

Where I am, at least, the only ones that have the guns are the various gangs down in the city competing for turf.

Yeah, almost every family I know has at least one high-powered rifle, and a handgun or two. Some also have swords and such, just for recreation.

Coincidentally, this is in Ohio...

Also, I have to admit I died a little inside when I saw all the ignorance spouted by a long-time member of the forum, let alone an admin

Back
Top Bottom