You don't respawn in real life

Users who are viewing this thread

gamerwiz09

Grandmaster Knight
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24911037-5006003,00.html?from=public_rss

A TEENAGER who shot and killed his mother and wounded his clergyman father was so obsessed over a video game that he may have believed that, like the characters in the game, death wasn't real, a judge said yesterday in finding the boy guilty.

Defence attorneys did not contest that Daniel Petric, now 17, shot his parents in October 2007 after they took the game Halo 3 away from him, but insisted the boy's youth and addiction to the game made him less responsible.

They urged the judge to find Petric not guilty by reason of insanity.

Petric may have been addicted, but the evidence also showed he planned the crime, said Judge James Burge, who found Petric guilty of aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and other charges.

In the video game Halo 3, players shoot alien monsters that have taken over Earth.

“I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever,” Judge Burge said.

“I think that is the state of mind that this young man was in at the time of these events - that death would not be permanent.”

The teen's mother, Susan Petric, 43, died of a gunshot wound to the head.

Her husband, Mark Petric, a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, Ohio, also was shot in the head but survived.

Daniel Petric, who was tried as an adult, faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison without parole.

The judge did not set a sentencing date.

He showed little emotion when the judge announced the verdict.

When the hearing was over, he turned to look at his father seated behind him in the court gallery.

Mark Petric, who previously said he has forgiven his son, gave an encouraging nod.

Mr Petric and other relatives left the court without comment.

During the trial, deputy prosecuting attorney Anthony Cillo described Petric as a cold, calculating killer who plotted to murder his parents and make it appear to be a murder-suicide by putting the gun in his father's hand.

Cillo referred to a report produced by the defence in which juvenile psychologist Steven Neuhaus said that Petric said he had planned the murders for a week.

Yesterday, prosecutors declined to comment on the verdict, as did defence attorneys.

Defence attorney James Kersey said during the trial that Petric played Halo 3 18 hours a day when he had the chance.

On the night of the shooting, Petric used his father's key to open a lockbox and remove a 9 mm handgun and the game.

Mr Petric testified that his son came into the room and asked: “Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you.”

The father testified that he expected a pleasant surprise.

Then his head went numb from a gunshot.

Mr Kersey said during the trial that when the teenager fled the grisly scene, he only took one item with him: the Halo 3 game.

Bungie LLC, once part of Microsoft, developed the Xbox 360-exclusive Halo 3, and Microsoft owns the game's intellectual property. Microsoft declined to comment beyond a statement: "We are aware of the situation and it is a tragic case.”

More articles if you're interested:
http://deseretnews.com/article/0,5143,705277157,00.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7826663.stm
http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/sidebar/909182374/26745240/so-called-halo-3-killer-convicted-of-murdering-mom.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6203115

It's kinda sad really, especially the fact that now people are willingly using video games as a defense. Sometimes you just do something stupid, and its your fault.

At least it wasn't WOW this time...

Archonsod said:
Surely if his father was a clergyman then he too believed death would not be permanent?

****ing hypocrites.

That's either a joke and/or an irrational lashing out at religion, right? That's not really supposed to be a serious critique of the beliefs of the Christian faith?

was so obsessed over a video game that he may have believed that, like the characters in the game, death wasn't real, a judge said yesterday

I wonder if he actually believes that. The case was no doubt helped by the father standing by the kid's side.

LK said:
Archonsod said:
Surely if his father was a clergyman then he too believed death would not be permanent?

****ing hypocrites.

That's either a joke and/or an irrational lashing out at religion, right? That's not really supposed to be a serious critique of the beliefs of the Christian faith?

With Arch, you never can tell.

LK said:
Archonsod said:

****ing hypocrites.

I dunno? Isn't resurrection of the dead****s during Rapture part of the christian faith? Thus they shouldn't perceive death as permanent.

Exactly. If you get all obsessed by a game and claim it teaches you death isn't permanent the ****ers call you mad. Get obsessed by a book and claim it teaches you death isn't permanent and they let you fiddle with choirboys. Where's the justice in that eh?

What I meant was, your disbelief of whatever the Christian faith preaches doesn't, in this particular case, give you any right whatsoever to call the father a hypocrite on the basis of his belief in resurrection/afterlife.

Christians believe in resurrection or whatever, but they also believe that it's wrong to kill. The video game respawn, however, is designed such that all the legal, emotional, and moral consequences of killing/dying are effectively removed - trying to apply this to a real life situation where death does indeed have profound consequences is what is insane, and that is something that Christians today, on the most part, do not do. At the very least, the father in this article isn't guilty of it, and as such doesn't warrant your accusation of hypocrisy.

Sir Prince said:
This is stupid. THe boy is an idiot and screwed up, stop blaming video games.

Screwed up? That's just a little understated for telling his parents to close their eyes before shooting them each in the head (which raises another point, did the second one to get shot just stand there and take it? deer in the headlights perhaps).

Zaro said:
deer in the headlights perhaps.

I would think so. :grin:

"Well that isn't a very good present, dear."

Like the Southpark (bigger,longer,anduncutmovie) song goes, Blame Canada! "... before anyone can think of blaming us!"

His father was a minister, and didn't see anything wrong with his son constantly playing video games?
Totally cool dad, not imposing his religion or anything, but eventually there should be the "Hunny, does Bobby have any friends..?" "Why, no, dear, he doesn't. Well, except those nubs on live."

Zaro said:
Sir Prince said:
This is stupid. THe boy is an idiot and screwed up, stop blaming video games.

Screwed up? That's just a little understated for telling his parents to close their eyes before shooting them each in the head (which raises another point, did the second one to get shot just stand there and take it? deer in the headlights perhaps).
This wasn't an accident trying to fix it screwed up obviously.

It doesn't take long to shoot two people, if they're sitting right next to each other. Aim, fire, then swivel your arm slightly and repeat. I doubt enough time even passed for the second victim to fully realize what was going on, since it was so unexpected (apparently).

LK said:
What I meant was, your disbelief of whatever the Christian faith preaches doesn't, in this particular case, give you any right whatsoever to call the father a hypocrite on the basis of his belief in resurrection/afterlife.
What, so he can go around believing in it because a book about an invisible magic fairy told him to, but his son can't because Master Chief told him to? Smells like rank hypocrisy to me.
Christians believe in resurrection or whatever, but they also believe that it's wrong to kill.
I couldn't give a **** if they also believe the world is a giant pink blancmange with apricots on top, the two are not linked in any way :roll:

Back
Top Bottom