B Native Musket Era [WB] Renaissance Mod - Beta Released

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey!

I played for two days straight. Amazing. I love the way it's headed. If you ever need to share things, just let me know.

The clothing and armours are beautiful.

Well done, :smile:

CR

Foopaux said:
2. In the Renaissance period, banks were used increasingly by merchants and nobles. You shouldn't have carry those 20,000 denars around with you burning a hole in your pocket, just waiting to be taken the moment you lose a battle. Banks would be a nice addition.

I must agree. Banks would be a very, very nice addition indeed.

Just in case I'll be too drunk tomorrow...

Happy new year to Bayard and all the Renaissance Mod players and supporters! :wink:

thenewyearslandsknechtb.jpg

Bayard-X said:
(I'M DRUNK)
:grin: This would lead to completely unexpected things in the mod, aye?

Duke Daniel Milutin said:
Isn't some of things from WFaS?
First page.

thomasNL01 said:
good new year to all, and a question. Are the arquebuses and muskets supposed to shoot right through shields?
Yes, they do. Ya 'now, they ain't firing arrows 'ese 'ays *old man look*

Foopaux said:
I played it for the first time for a couple of hours. Definitly AWESOME!!! Love the highlander armor. It was also pretty sweet to make 19K by betting in the tournament. Also, I forgot how nice it is to have that extra 100 starting renown when your father = impoverished noble. I have a few suggestions about tweaks and additions though. This mod is way better than WFaS already but alot of WFaS's features were nice. If they were somehow implemented, this would be the best mod out there.

1. The mercenarys you hire in taverns could use more variety, as in tiers. All the mercs I saw so far have been top tier, availible in only small groups, and require a small fortune to hire and pay. Some cheaper, mid-tier mercs that could be hired in larger groups would be nice (for example, in WFaS, I could hire 15 merc pikemen for 700 thalers)

2. In the Renaissance period, banks were used increasingly by merchants and nobles. You shouldn't have carry those 20,000 denars around with you burning a hole in your pocket, just waiting to be taken the moment you lose a battle. Banks would be a nice addition.

3. Everyone knew this was coming, but here it is: Caravans were really nice in WFaS.

4. Possible implementation of these mods
Adorno's arena pack is pretty awesome: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,100061.0.html
Caba'drin's pre-battle orders and dimplomacy mods: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,152114.msg3654078.html#msg3654078

5. As it is, the faction names are really long.

The things implemented here (new weapons, armor, and firearms, and new troops) are implemented very well. but in essence it's still M&B Warband native. Hence the suggestions above. Also some new quests, more new companions would be nice.
This mod is way better than WFaS already but alot of WFaS's features were nice

No bugs found yet, except the map loading time is, as aforementioned, fatally long.

1. I am not quite sure about this, but from what I heard, only really rich people (like the kings) could afford a merc army. But this thing arguments about what I know about the Italian Wars... But surely a conscript from your own poor country costs less than a merc.

2. Indeed

3. But remember the other f***** up things  :razz:

4. Indeed

5. Well, they were also long in the... eh... real life. But only the formal ones. It certainly looks better when your country is called "The most serene and humane kingdom of the Danes, Norwegians and the funny people of Lappland" than "Denmark". And yes, it spams up half of the screen, but at least the mod looks different. And it certainly looks NOBLE! *bling* *bling*

6.  Well... I think that re-making this for WFaS would cost a lot of time. Aaand always remember: First release.

Yeah, prosperous year to you.  :grin:

The very long faction names can be a problem when looking to access basic information on the game map. Concise is better for the transmission of information -- and that's what makes a game more enjoyable to play: ease of interface. The very flowery titles and kingdom names are awesome, but perhaps would be better reflected in flavour text.

There's also a way to use the two name slots on NPCs to give variants on their names -- but at the moment I can't recall which is triggered in what instance.

I get what he's talking about with mercenaries. They're an awesome addition to the mod, but mercenaries in M&B are disproportionately expensive: you pay far more to hire them than you're paid to be hired as one; you have a huge payout to hire them in the first place, and then they're more expensive to keep than other troops on top of it. I believe Bayard had plans for the diversity and flavour of merc troops, however, and I don't know that he's done with them, so we may see changes on that front yet.

I'll still be (mostly) absent for a little while. :smile: Not quite done with Dad Duty during the holidays.

Keep the mercs expensive and with high upkeep, but create the option to pay them (partially) through loot (diminishing what you get after battles, and in case of villages and towns, causing an extra hit to relations as you let them plunder unchecked for longer) ... this could also involve haggling over prices and conditions when you first hire them, and would give more use to your persuasion skill. Who knows, with enough persuasion and gold, you might even get some of the enemy mercenaries to sit out a battle, or even switch sides... :wink:

Might be completely impractical to implement, but it'd shine a spotlight on mercenaries in what is probably the golden age of mercenary armies and the condottieri that lead them.

After field battles, it'd be the same, yes.

However, I mostly envision them vigorously and thoroughly plundering any settlement you raid or take, with all the negative side effects that can come from that - the people will hate you, and the settlement might be damaged or even burnt down (accidentally), and if you fail to provide regular opportunities to plunder, morale will drop and the mercs will desert or even go over to the enemy.

Basically a "cheap" contract option that is sustainable for raiding, but much less effective for establishing your own dominion, where you'll have to rely on faction troops, even if they are less effective combatants (for the most part) than the hardened professional mercenaries, as the latter are not dependable enough. Ideally, mercs would also make up a significant of AI lords' armies, to give this a truly early modern feel as opposed to feudal armies with firearms and pikes.

Evil Cereal said:
6.  Well... I think that re-making this for WFaS would cost a lot of time. Aaand always remember: First release.

I didnt mean make it for WFaS, I meant just adding small stuff like banks, caravans, talking to guild masters and elders in menu, just a lot of small stuff like that.

Foopaux said:
Evil Cereal said:

I didnt mean make it for WFaS, I meant just adding small stuff like banks, caravans, talking to guild masters and elders in menu, just a lot of small stuff like that.

Yeah, but you can't add some WFaS stuff without porting it for WFaS. I think.

Comrade Temuzu said:
The ones he mentioned are easy to implent in Warband.

Really? Good, no problem then. Ahem. For me.

I was thinking of other nice things that could be implemented from WFaS, like these formations, mercenaries, etc...

Comrade Temuzu said:
All possible to code in. Hard, but possible. After all, WFaS is just a glorified mod for Warband.

:grin: True, true. Would that mean, that possibly (almost) anything could be coded into MaB?

I downloaded this mod a few days ago and have been playing, and I'd like to share some feedback.

First of all, great job! I really like this mod, and can see myself playing it for a long time. I laid out my feedback in a pro's con's format for ease of reading, but the cons are more like suggestions than true cons.

Pros
1. I really like it's minimalist approach (pretty much Native, but moved forward a few hundred years). Many mods out there are bloated and chock-full of goodies, and while that's great, it can sometimes bog down the experience with lag and bugs, so it's refreshing to play a low-fat mod (does not mean low-fun!).

2. Setting, setting, setting! Renaissance Calradia, very cool indeed! The clothing and uniforms are good looking and pull you into the mod.

3. Muskets. this is a big one. Firearms changed the face of battle in real life, and so did they in Calradia. Any mod with firearms automatically gets a thumbs up in my book, and this is no exception, although I do have some complaints (see cons).

Cons

1. I am not a huge fan of the way the muskets are implemented. Firearms were powerful and frightening weapons indeed, but in this mod, i feel that they are too powerful. They are also very innacurate, and reload a bit too quickly for my liking. Determined to change this, I went in and changed all of the firearms to their WFaS values (it was easy to match them because you used the WFaS models). As much as it had its faults, WFaS' implementation of firearms was top notch (in my humble opinion): high damage, moderate accuracy, and slow reload time. It took a few hours, but man oh man was it worth it, the firearms feel perfect! If you wouldn't mind, Bayard, I'd like to upload my item_kinds1.txt for others to try?

2. The long faction names are cool sounding, but make the text hard to read in some places.

3. Some better sounds/muzzle flashes/smoke effects for the muskets would be nice (although this is nitpicking). There is also some lag when loading the campaign map, as other users have noted.

4. I'd like to see crouch implemented in the future if possible.

And that pretty much wraps up my review. All in all, keep up the great work! It's very fortunate for us players that the Taleworlds forums are full of fantastic mods to sink our teeth into, and this  mod is no exception.

Back
Top Bottom