Views on smoking

Users who are viewing this thread

Zaro said:
And there we have it. You seem to not be able to consider anyone's perspective but your own, so you use Pav's statement of "stupid and inconsiderate" to exit the debate.

He said it, I didn't.  I am just bored with arguing a topic that no one is going to agree on.  It seems pointless.  Why waste more time on it?

The most sinister Mr. Pavlov said:
Sheriff-murder said:
To be honest, i don't see why people smoke. I don't smoke, and never felt the need to.

However as previously mentioned, if it was discovered today, it would have been banned, the same with alcohol and maybe even caffeine.

For instance, cannabis is much less harmful than alcohol, especially the actions the substances make you do, still "the bigger of two evils" is allowed.

The difference is that the allowed substances were discovered so long ago that it is a part of the common culture.

I'll explain it to you, and in a nice way because I like you. You remind me of my penis.

Anyways, two reasons to smoke. It feels awesome after a full meal when you're stuffed retarded. It feels awesome after some mind blowing nasty, dirty, sweaty, angry sex.

Regarding your refer thing. Here's the deal, after a cigarette I don't go around eating everything that's cheesy and crunchy. Plus I still remember where I parked my car.

Fawzia dokhtar-i-Sanjar said:
And a ha-ha to you, too, Sinister One.  Would you like a cigarette?  Don't forget that I don't agree with you all the time - in fact, I seem to recall calling you a wanker at one point.

Yeah but we resolved that with berries! and I would LOVE a cigarette, thank you equally sinister one. Lets smoke it RIGHT in front of the entrance to this thread, blowing it in everyone's faces while insulting their mothers.

Pavlov, I think I love you!

Zaro said:
And there we have it. You seem to not be able to consider anyone's perspective but your own, so you use Pav's statement of "stupid and inconsiderate" to exit the debate.

That's because neither side is going to really ever agree with the other. I stopped debating arguing after I realized I threatened a 15 year old with violence over the internets. These kinds of threads bring out the worst in everyone. I love all ya guys too much to fight over smoking.  :wink:

Zaro said:

He said it, I didn't.  I am just bored with arguing a topic that no one is going to agree on.  It seems pointless.  Why waste more time on it?

Zaro is a master argument bater, don't give into his attempts!

Zaro said:
I am not showing complete intolerance at all. I have often stated that I don't care if people smoke, just as long as they're not imposing on other people. In my experience, many smokers do impose on other people. They're showing intolerance by smoking without regard for other people, which in turn leads to intolerance of smokers by non-smokers. In a nutshell, many smokers bring this intolerance upon themselves as they do not respect the people around them.

Have to agree with Zaro somewhat, intolerant as that may make me. Yes, I have some slight sympathy for smokers  (anybody who is dependant on a substance to get them through a day has my sympathy, whether it be tobacco, coffee, alcohol or just plain old chocolate), but it's slight. It's the same sympathy I feel for people who are addicted to drugs. They can't help being addicted, and it's terrible to fight the addiction.

But that sympathy ends when heroin addicts start leaving their needles in the local park where kids play, or when alcoholics leave their bottles out on the street which subsequently ends in them being broken and a hazard to health and car tyres. And when I have to step into a lift (elevator to you Americans) full of people who have just got off their fag break at work and they absolutely reek of smoke. Then they douse themselves with perfume because they KNOW they reek, and that makes it even worse, because you're trapped in a small space with no proper ventilation and a toxic cloud of half a dozen perfumes. And even then, you can STILL smell the smoke.

And when it comes down to it, I just remember that everybody who takes a drug, whether it be tobacco, caffeine (etc, see above) decided to start taking it themselves. Nobody shoves a fag in your mouth and forces you to become addicted, just like nobody forces a person to drink coffee, or drink alcohol, or inject heroin. Sure, there's often peer pressure, especially when you're young, or when you want to be social and all your friends are doing something, but somebody who takes up something purely out of peer pressure is, in my eyes, extremely weak-willed. Aries-like, even.

So yes, I do sympathise with many people who are no longer able to smoke in places where they could just spark up and puff merrily away to their heart's content. But I'm also glad that there's tighter restrictions on smoking now, because it means I get to breathe slightly cleaner air. As somebody who's just finished recovering from a nasty chest infection, I'm immensely thankful for it.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
blah blah blah, need to buy more shoes and tampons and make Pavlov a sandwich.

No but seriously, you're basically making us feel like we're crack addicts or something. But in that stiff English upper lip tactful kind of way. The you're like "but aww I feel sorry for them" Take us all home and feed us then. You ****ing red cross mother ****er.

Regarding your refer thing. Here's the deal, after a cigarette I don't go around eating everything that's cheesy and crunchy. Plus I still remember where I parked my car.

True, but i was comparing it to alcohol, not smoking, even though it is a bit off topic.

Well that's their stupid fault for taking up smoking in the first place. This isn't the '50s; smoking is no longer cool, and the Surgeon General issues dire warnings on every pack. Knowing all this, if you still take up smoking you only have yourself to blame for any consequences.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
blah blah blah, need to buy more shoes and tampons and make Pavlov a sandwich.

No but seriously, you're basically making us feel like we're crack addicts or something. But in that stiff English upper lip tactful kind of way. The you're like "but aww I feel sorry for them" Take us all home and feed us then. You ****ing red cross mother ****er.

Not at all. I just consider anything that impinges negatively on my life to be a nuisance. Whether that's having to breathe in smoke, or come across a used needle, or be forced to queue for ages in a shop because somebody can't decide what kind of chocolate bar they want. Ultimately I don't care whether people want to smoke or use drugs or stuff their faces with chocolate, as long as it doesn't have any impact on my life.

Darian said:
Well that's their stupid fault for taking up smoking in the first place. This isn't the '50s; smoking is no longer cool, and the Surgeon General issues dire warnings on every pack. Knowing all this, if you still take up smoking you only have yourself to blame for any consequences.

I don't think either Pavlov or I did any whining about consequences. 

Don't mind them, Pavlov, they are just brainwashed advocates of the Nanny State.  Cheers, exhaling large puff.

I am a brainwashed advocate of seeing my grandad die in hospital of angina due to a life time of smoking.

Call me crazy, but I tend to be averted to things that kill the people I love. **** everyone else. Give yourselves emphysemia or lung cancer, or live til you're 95 for all I care.

I don't think either Pavlov or I did any whining about consequences. 
Sorry, that reply was to a post a few pages back--I clicked on the last post link thing and didn't realise I wasn't on the latest page any more. My point still stands, however; smokers are not some religious or ethnic minority that has a right to complain about discrimination.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Darian said:
My point still stands, however; smokers are not some religious or ethnic minority that has a right to complain about discrimination.

Yes they are. Haven't you been reading the thread?

Now go screw the establishment by smoking on a bus.

Oh, goody, if we are minorities, we have amazing rights and priveleges in the US!

Good luck with that.

Back to the topic: One thing I don't find good about the smoking ban here in pubs, clubs and bars, is that now many owners of such establishments are considering (or were considering, before the world economy turned upside down) the implementation of outdoor heated patios and other such craziness. The irony is, they want to keep the smokers warm. And yet when this plethora of extra heating starts adding to global warming, and the north polar icecaps melt, pushing the gulf stream south (as it is wont to do during interglacial periods). This will cause the UK to take on a climate similar to that of other places of a similar latitude (namely norway, sweden, andsoforth) creating winters far worse than any we have experienced for hundreds of years.

This will make both smokers and non-smokers very cold.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Yes they are. Haven't you been reading the thread?
Smokers are not a discriminated minority. Your recreational choices are your own to make, but you have absolutely no right to force them upon others. For instance, take nudists. Nudists see nothing wrong with being naked, and there's no problem with them going about as naked as they please within their own homes and designated nudist meeting places, but it is absolutely unacceptable for them to go around naked in normal public places; they will generally be arrested and charged with public indecency (or whatever it's called).

Whether talking about smokers, nudists, or any other group with a restricted recreational pursuit, these rules are not about discrimination but about meeting social expectations. A few decades ago, smoking was popular and widely accepted. Actors and other public figures openly smoked and made it "cool" to do so, and non-smokers would put out ashtrays if they had visitors coming who were or might be smokers; now, however, the social expectation is that you do not smoke in designated non-smoking areas or force your habit onto other people by smoking around them unless you have their explicit consent to do so.

Zaro said:

Then why not say so, rather than agreeing that everyone else will simply argue that smokers are stupid and inconsiderate? Anyway, enough of that. As you say, we're not going to agree.

This will make both smokers and non-smokers very cold.

Smoking might warm you up :razz:.

Back
Top Bottom