Views on smoking

Users who are viewing this thread

So, first off, this is about the smoking of tobacco, and no other substance.

What is everyone's views on it? What do you think about laws such as ones in my area which ban smoking almost everywhere. Do you really think it causes cancer? If smoking is so dangerous, why are 18 year olds allowed to?

It's allowed because so many people do it. If it was discovered today, both sugar and smoking would be allowed.

I have no doubt it causes cancer.

I see no reason to smoke, and as thus I see anyone who smokes as a tool to the stupid smoke-stick.

Tibertus said:
What is everyone's views on it? What do you think about laws such as ones in my area which ban smoking almost everywhere. Do you really think it causes cancer? If smoking is so dangerous, why are 18 year olds allowed to?

1) It's ridiculous and pointless, massive detrimental negative effects for minor psychological benefits, which is not attributed to the actually smoking a cigarette, but just having a reliable routine.
2) Ban it.
3) There's no question if it causes cancer.
4) Because 18 year olds are legally adults.

Doesn't matter how dangerous it is (extremely dangerous), it shouldn't be banned, same as any other drug.

I actually have doubts about it causing cancer. My entire family is smokers, and not one has had any type of cancer attributed to smoking.

As far as routine, I've never been addicted to smoking. I've gone from smoking a pack a day for a year straight to quiting cold turkey in one day. Personally, I haven't even had a craving since then, and its been almost a year. I really never got why people get so hooked on them.

In America however, you need to be 21 to drink, which is by far a much healthier activity, especially when done in moderation.

I don't think it should be banned, but I don't want to be anywhere near the foul smell. Let 'em smoke somewhere else, I don't care - they're entitled to do whatever they want with their lives, and I'm entitled to think it's silly.

Tibertus said:
I actually have doubts about it causing cancer. My entire family is smokers, and not one has had any type of cancer attributed to smoking.

As far as routine, I've never been addicted to smoking. I've gone from smoking a pack a day for a year straight to quiting cold turkey in one day. Personally, I haven't even had a craving since then, and its been almost a year. I really never got why people get so hooked on them.

In America however, you need to be 21 to drink, which is by far a much healthier activity, especially when done in moderation.

You can't have doubts, as it's proven, some people don't succumb to it however, like drinking crappy water won't always give you cholera.

Just because this is your experience with smoking, doesn't mean it's everyones.

Well, wouldn't mind smokers if I didn't have to pay for their treatment in my taxes.

Redcoat - Mic said:
Tibertus said:

You can't have doubts, as it's proven, some people don't succumb to it however, like drinking crappy water won't always give you cholera.

Just because this is your experience with smoking, doesn't mean it's everyones.

I've read studies that state cancer is more dependent on genes, than a persons activities. I have also yet to read any conclusive study linking cancer to smoking.

Finally, my experience with smoking is just that, an experience. I was stating how my experiences are different from others, and I don't get it. People with different personalities tend to be more addicted to substances.

I think the reason why people smoke cigarettes is the problem.  If you're going to rely on a drug to relieve stress, etc. then of course you're going to develop an addiction.  That's all I hear from smokers of all ages, "I'm gonna go have a cig, this is stressing me out..."  And of course they smoke during certain times during the day, and they develop a habit.  People should be smoking to reward themselves, near the end of the day, relaxing with friends. 

Health issues are another matter altogether...

Hookah FTW!

I don't. I wont.

But I say let smokers be smokers. These banning public smoking laws  are ridiculous. I don't care what studies say, if you walk by someone who's smoking, you're NOT going to get ****ing cancer. That, and it goes against our rights.

Redcoat - Mic said:
Tibertus said:

1) It's ridiculous and pointless, massive detrimental negative effects for minor psychological benefits, which is not attributed to the actually smoking a cigarette, but just having a reliable routine.
2) Ban it.
3) There's no question if it causes cancer.
4) Because 18 year olds are legally adults.
^ This.

I find the smell utterly repulsive and it is a complete waste of people's money when they could be spending it on other things, like vegetables.

gamerwiz09 said:
I don't. I wont.

But I say let smokers be smokers. These banning public smoking laws  are ridiculous. I don't care what studies say, if you walk by someone who's smoking, you're NOT going to get ****ing cancer. That, and it goes against our rights.

Bah, they want to completely ban smoking at my university. It first started with the state law that people can't smoke indoors or withing 25 feet of a public entrance. Then the school pushed it further to include no smoking of cigarettes at all on campus. And now they are trying to push it further to include all tobacco products, including hookah, cigars, pipes, and for some strange reason, dip,chew, and snuff.

Aendor said:
I think the reason why people smoke cigarettes is the problem.  If you're going to rely on a drug to relieve stress, etc. then of course you're going to develop an addiction.  That's all I hear from smokers of all ages, "I'm gonna go have a cig, this is stressing me out..."  And of course they smoke during certain times during the day, and they develop a habit.  People should be smoking to reward themselves, near the end of the day, relaxing with friends. 

Health issues are another matter altogether...

Hookah FTW!

I agree with this as well. I love after a hard day of school, work, and military training, to be able to sit down and smoke hookah with my friends, or to relax with a beer in one hand, and a cigarette in another.

I think it's stupid. If you have to use tobacco, you might aswell buy Snus off of the internet or something (unless it's available outside of scandinavia?). Atleast it doesn't kill you.

No doubt that smoking is unhealthy and I'm ok and also happy they limit it in public. Being an asthmatic person myself, it's easy to understand how unpleasant the smoke can be for those who don't like the smell.

However, I do think people push their hatred towards cigarettes too far, some being even hysterical, some quite naive and childish about it. I'm a light smoker myself, meaning I have 1-2 smokes a day, and not always even the one (especially when it's cold outside). Clearly I don't do it because of an addiction, I do it alone, so it isn't peer pressure either. I like the taste, and I especially like the flavour I get, if eating meat for example soon afterwards.
So, I guess I should have quite a lot excitment wondering wheather I'll wake up in the morning or not.

Back
Top Bottom