Rome - scene in progress (Poll added)

How should the defense scene of Rome be handled?

• Using the civic scene - Mainly a street fight in the core of Rome, with player using a few holdouts

Votes: 180 62.7%
  • A separate scene - Player starts defense at a section of the Servian Wall. Maximized defensive poten

Votes: 107 37.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Progress report: I'm helping him with the layout a bit while I'm still here.  Anybody with a detailed topographical map of Rome, do feel free to post it because I don't have much time and I'd like to get something done before I go.

Stop feeling empty inside for a second and pitch in so he'll have something pretty to show you.

Well I think i'm just going to convert what I can to the scene from the layout you gave me, and wing the rest.

The Capitoline pretty much matches up, and I think that will be a good base

Agreed, but if you decide to include the Arx (which isn't much of a stretch and its pretty cool to imagine a defense scene there...) you're going to want to lengthen the Capitoline a good bit.

RomeHillsMapMod.jpg

On the bottom left peak of the Capitoline should be the cliffs and the temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus, and the top right peak should be the Arx.  In the valley between the Capitoline, Palatine and Velian hills is the forum, market, and the various merchants and storefronts, as well as the Comitium.  The Vestals are in the part between the Velian and the Palatine, between the Regia and the Palatine, so you know basically where the Palatine should start as well.  Keep all that in mind and you've basically got a perfect Rome.

You're going to have fun guessing what some of the landmarks should have looked like at this time.  I look forward to seeing it.

Say...you know Google Earth has a fully rendered 3D Rome? It in the wrong time period, in 320 AD but I guess some stuff would not be changed? The layout might still be the same...dont really know tbh. http://earth.google.com/rome/ Download and use it...or not  :grin: Even though its the wrong period, the city render is impressive, worth checking out even if you dont use it as a source...cheers!

what about the arx btw? are you thinking about incorporating it? i can just imagine the romans fighting their way through the city and making a last stand at the arx... it's right next to the area you decided on, too

SwissHalberdier said:
The important bits of the scene, in no particular order and excluding open areas (markets and groves) and miscellaneous buildings:

- Aedes Castoris
- Aedes Iovis Optimi Maximi (done)
- Aedes Concordiae
- Aedes Vestae
- Aedes Saturnus
- Atrium Vestiae
- Vulcanal
- Comitium
- Forum Romanum (done) & the suggestum
- Regia
- Domus Publica
- Carcer

With this you mean you are working on 'all' Rome? Will it be totally complete? If so, the scene will have to have a lot of NPC walking around... To make it look alive.

Alright i've done some adjusting and I think I can get the Arx in as well.

Right now I think i'm satisfied with the proposed layout, after having looks with the Google Earth. I think the Arx/Capitoline will be just a little off, but using those and the Forum Romanum as the key points to the scene, should be able to get a fair representation, and only have to move around a few things already placed.

Of course this means I have to make a few new props though :razz:

Regarding the defence - it would be great if...  both choices were possible.
First you have to break through defenders on the walls and then finish rest on the streets.
I dont know if it would be mod-wise possible or too much work. Only such taste.
Ealabor, thanks for informig us about your progress on this great modwork.

sirmic said:
Regarding the defence - it would be great if...  both choices were possible.
First you have to break through defenders on the walls and then finish rest on the streets.

If you look at the old maps for M&B Vanilla, you'll see that's basically standard procedure.

Maybe you could make the Comitium as the arena. In that time there wasn't any amphitheater in Rome and the Comitium was used to host the munera gladiatoria

L087.JPG

Nice work. Can't wait to play it.

HoJu said:
Maybe you could make the Comitium as the arena. In that time there wasn't any amphitheater in Rome and the Comitium was used to host the munera gladiatoria

L087.JPG

Nice work. Can't wait to play it.

No Coloseum??  :shock:  :sad:

Back
Top Bottom