Rome - scene in progress (Poll added)

How should the defense scene of Rome be handled?

• Using the civic scene - Mainly a street fight in the core of Rome, with player using a few holdouts

Votes: 180 62.7%
  • A separate scene - Player starts defense at a section of the Servian Wall. Maximized defensive poten

Votes: 107 37.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

What I mean is will the only buildings in the scene be the ones you can go to or will there be buildings outside of the playable area so it looks more like a real city?

Man... this scene is really going to set the bar for the rest of them.

Anyways just a reminder heres a look at the old Rome:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/ealabor/romemc1.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/ealabor/romemc2.jpg

.. Which doesn't even register in comparison to the new one.

The building polygon intensity is much higher than the old props, though I don't think that will be an issue if experience serves me right

Dont know what you all think but i think rome should be the hardest city to conquer in game ... as it was the biggest at that time and the core of the greatest nation at that point

Alezzy said:
Dont know what you all think but i think rome should be the hardest city to conquer in game ... as it was the biggest at that time and the core of the greatest nation at that point

I agree - but then it serves for gameplay balance, Cause if i was playing as another faction and tried to besiege rome i wouldnt want to spend about an hour doing it  :grin:

All this bragging about how awesome it is makes me very anxious to see it. I have no doubt that I will be pleasantly surprised.

Alezzy said:
I don't think Rome was protected that good, since it's not a citadel, but a huge city. Rome allways relied on their borders and roman border lands, especially in the northern Italy, had really good defence. Also it didn't have much army in the city. Just remember how Sulla took the city while Gaius Marius tried to oppose him with mostly gladiators.

Alezzy said:

No, there were quite a few cities bigger than Rome at that point.

And a greater size does not constitute a greater defense. In practically all cases it means essentially the opposite. For one it means spreading the defenders over a bigger area, and secondly means having to feed and hydrate a much bigger populous, which the besiegers could exploit.

Which is something I can't quite understand, since if Hannibal really wanted to wipe out Rome, he only need knock out the aquaducts flowing into the city and wait them out.

SgtTeeh said:
All this bragging about how awesome it is makes me very anxious to see it. I have no doubt that I will be pleasantly surprised.

Oh im just exaggerating. It looks ok

ealabor said:
Alezzy said:

No, there were quite a few cities bigger than Rome at that point.

And a greater size does not constitute a greater defense. In practically all cases it means essentially the opposite. For one it means spreading the defenders over a bigger area, and secondly means having to feed and hydrate a much bigger populous, which the besiegers could exploit.

Which is something I can't quite understand, since if Hannibal really wanted to wipe out Rome, he only need knock out the aquaducts flowing into the city and wait them out.

SgtTeeh said:

Oh im just exaggerating. It looks ok

I think he got confused about the time period we are in  :wink: (268bc not 89ad)

Alezzy said:

You are clearly confused at to the timeline of the mod.

Alezzy said:
This is 268 Bc just so you know and Rome was not build in one day  :???:

i'm back to tw to ask ilerda to be made at some point in this amazing mod. (as you  asked with the  what to do next..)
ilerplan.jpg
inside walls (thicker=wood, rougher=stone) there was the celt/roman town.
wooden fort over the hill.
int_ilerda.jpg

red= defensive/roman structures. main entrances were from bridges over the river.
this is a 3d reconsturction of the terrain.
image_preview

Yeah, it's been rough the past couple of months but it's nice to be home, sleeping in my own bed.

So what are your sources for the Rome props now, E?  They're looking so much better than before.  Not that they weren't great to begin with, but they look truer to life.

Quick edit: Why did you decide to move it away from the Forum Boarium and the Tiber, btw?

Back
Top Bottom