Rome - scene in progress (Poll added)

How should the defense scene of Rome be handled?

• Using the civic scene - Mainly a street fight in the core of Rome, with player using a few holdouts

Votes: 180 62.7%
  • A separate scene - Player starts defense at a section of the Servian Wall. Maximized defensive poten

Votes: 107 37.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

HoJu said:
Maybe you could make the Comitium as the arena. In that time there wasn't any amphitheater in Rome and the Comitium was used to host the munera gladiatoria

L087.JPG

Nice work. Can't wait to play it.

Well i've actually built a colosseum, though obviously not the colosseum.

I really couldn't find anything definitive on gladiatorial games, or at this point what were likely funeral games.

I like the building you posted though, and am curious the name and usage of it. Comitium being a reference to the entire area, not really specifically relating to a single building, in this case the one you posted.

ealabor said:
HoJu said:
Maybe you could make the Comitium as the arena. In that time there wasn't any amphitheater in Rome and the Comitium was used to host the munera gladiatoria

L087.JPG

Well i've actually built a colosseum, though obviously not the colosseum.

I really couldn't find anything definitive on gladiatorial games, or at this point what were likely funeral games.

I like the building you posted though, and am curious the name and usage of it. Comitium being a reference to the entire area, not really specifically relating to a single building, in this case the one you posted.

I think the area was called comitium after the building (the former version of the building, built in times of the Monarchy). It was there where the comitia curiata took place.

About gladiatorial games, I think they were mainly a private funeral rite at this times. If I remember, the first who offered public combats to the people was Sulla in late 2nd century BC, and the comitium was the place where those first public games were hosted. I thunk is the closest reference we can find.

Yeah.

Well I recon i'll fit that building in as well to suggest some sort of proper transition, since I really don't feel like omitting the arena I made, having spent time on the model and texture.

HoJu said:

L087.JPG

You have link to page with pic and perhaps subsequent text discussing it? I tried tracking back to the image site, though there seems to be some level of restrictions, and I didn't find anything relevant in it's home search (indiana.edu)

Sorry but no. I found the pic searching in Google. The info about the comitium hosting the first public gladiatorial games, I was told that in class while we were studying the roman ludi. I don't know what reference the professor had.

reason i voted for a huge siege because it would be logical to have a huge siege a lot of men would die trying to make it just into the castle. Maybe make usable catapults and destructable walls to enhance the siege and maybe battering rams too. But since a lot voted for street fight. Maybe make it so the attacker wont have as many troops during fight because they would lose a lot during the entrance of the city. Really the city is lost once the attacker is inside but its not my vote. Anyway nice mod and good luck  :mrgreen:

tenis15 said:
Really the city is lost once the attacker is inside but its not my vote. Anyway nice mod and good luck  :mrgreen:

Well thats not always necessarily the case. Urban combat can wipe out many advantages of an aggressor.

The cluster**** Pyrrhus had in Argos just being one example.

Well ya I guess from my experience playing rome total war I did sometimes leave the doors open and leave a phalanx guarding the main road which is where they usually come from cavalry in the back then the cavalry swoops around and attacks from the side. I also cover some side roads with phalanxs just incase. This would work if you allow us to use cavalry in sieges. But I think it would be better to have the whole siege therefor you can have the city part of the battle and decide if you want to fight either urban or defend the walls or both. Would be cool also if you can set up your troops before the battle like rome total war. Idk why you don't have a part of the vote where it says or both. Or would it be too hard to make it Rome total war style?

I think it's already Rome:Total War style,actually Roma Surrectum 2 style-a mod for RTW...Hegemony has 24 factions same as in that mod,formations same as in RTW...
It's gonna be very cool!But i don't know how much patience i have got left :grin:

If anyone has info on Roman wall materials, specifically Servian walls, it would be most helpful.

Trying to get idea of what I should be look at here in terms of brick, color, and gate / tower styles. Not sure if it should be closer to Greek themed beige or lighter color, or should be some sort of grey tone on account of ash material or what?

ealabor said:
If anyone has info on Roman wall materials, specifically Servian walls, it would be most helpful.

Trying to get idea of what I should be look at here in terms of brick, color, and gate / tower styles. Not sure if it should be closer to Greek themed beige or lighter color, or should be some sort of grey tone on account of ash material or what?

I can help you with that Servian wall around the Rome city.
"The wall was built from large blocks of tuff (a volcanic rock made from ash and rock fragments ejected during an eruption)"
This sentence is from wiki site...

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servian_Wall

-I think i helped a little.

P.S You said if we can give you some informations about Roman materials and architecture they used in ancient times....more about their materials here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_ancient_Rome
-That site is good cause there is an information about the ancient Roman materials in a time 273.B.C very good timeframe info for your mod cause it's only 5 years difference and it that period i think everything was pretty same...

GOOD LUCK ON ROMAN LEGIONS AND EVERYTHING!  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom