Obsidian Entertainment - "Project Eternity" aka Pillars of Eternity

Users who are viewing this thread

Pharaoh X Llandy said:
...BG1 didn't have the kensai. Or any class kits other than the different schools of magic.

The Enhanced Edition. And I think that mod that made BG1 use the BG2 engine or whatever put specializations in too.

Play the game, read stuff and you'll know, ffs Rabble.

Amagic said:
Getting an opening salvo with 6 gun wielding characters from stealth takes down just about anything. Makes most fights A LOT easier if you can get the biggest baddie first.

Was thinking on making a pike and shot squad myself, seems like a fun idea.

Amagic said:
The Enhanced Edition. And I think that mod that made BG1 use the BG2 engine or whatever put specializations in too.

EE? That isn't BG1, that's a travesty. A mockery of a great game that I wouldn't waste 20p on :lol: But yeah, TuTu uses the BG2 layout for BG1, however a kensai/mage only becomes a true munchkin at the higher levels, so there's little point having one for BG1 only. Not unless you were going to export it into the sequel.

Point was, it's highly considered a munchkin class. By mid-game you're just going through your enemies like a hot knife through butter, and there's very little 1) challenge or 2) realism.

SacredStoneHead said:
Play the game, read stuff and you'll know, ffs Rabble.

What he said. If you want answers, go read the wiki. Nobody else wants to be spoiled.

I'd never played the series before and when EE came out I figured I'd check it out. Not my worst waste of money but damn close...

If you want to munchkin in PoE, don't go for a stabby rogue like I did. Holy **** is it bad. :lol:

I haven't played BG1, but I played BG2 and quit because the story was so bad and dialogue options sucked so much.

I don't recall any other game I played without finishing.

Come to think of it, it was such a letdown I didn't even bothered searching about how it ends  :lol:

EDIT: oh hai im a cat nao

Sir Prince said:
So don't use the chant "RIme & Frost", for some reason it causes save bloat.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73986-chanter-rime-and-frost-traps-get-saved-causing-mobileobjectssave-to-grow-out-of-control/

Looks like Obsidian are including the fix for this problem in their patch ("this week") so hopefully all should be well again soon.

RabbleKnight said:
So the leaden key, are they really the bad guys?

That's what we're all finding out by playing the game dummy.
Since the game isn't trying to be too black and white I'm expecting some twists, something like how Watchmen ended.

**** me, that Asylum thing was brilliant! I got goosebumbs when I reached for that guys soul and it turned out he was just a puppet.  :grin:
One thing kinda confused me though, when I confronted the scientist in his room I mistakenly decided to fight him and when I came out of the room, magically, every single patient and guard was back to their original positions. As if nothing happened. Thought for a while that maybe it was a bug.

Now I'm off to doing some detective work for the Dunryd Row. I love detective work.

Radalan said:
**** me, that Asylum thing was brilliant! I got goosebumbs when I reached for that guys soul and it turned out he was just a puppet.  :grin:
One thing kinda confused me though, when I confronted the scientist in his room I mistakenly decided to fight him and when I came out of the room, magically, every single patient and guard was back to their original positions. As if nothing happened. Thought for a while that maybe it was a bug.

Did the same thing and it is almost certainly a bug, as the wichts you fought and defeated appear motionless in T pose in a room afterwards.

I've had an error message upon trying to load 4 times now, and sometimes when I close the game down it says it's stopped working and gives me another error message. I've no idea what's wrong with it but I hope it's something that gets fixed in the patch. At least I haven't had any crashes whilst playing the game yet, just on start up/shut down.

Radalan said:
Since the game isn't trying to be too black and white I'm expecting some twists, something like how Watchmen ended.

They didn't just do less black & white than other RPG's, they removed it bloody completely. And I actually dislike that.

9 times out of 10 the quest will have some "this is how it actually happened" sort of twist to it and it's becoming stupidly predictable. Someone wants you to hunt down someone else and almost every damn time it turns out there's more to the story and the guy/gal you're hunting is actually innocent/should be let go.

Sure, having predictable A to B quests is boring but doing the exact opposite can be jarring as well.

Amagic said:
Radalan said:

They didn't just do less black & white than other RPG's, they removed it bloody completely. And I actually dislike that.

9 times out of 10 the quest will have some "this is how it actually happened" sort of twist to it and it's becoming stupidly predictable. Someone wants you to hunt down someone else and almost every damn time it turns out there's more to the story and the guy/gal you're hunting is actually innocent/should be let go.

Sure, having predictable A to B quests is boring but doing the exact opposite can be jarring as well.
I dunno, I still don't really like the idea of letting all of these necromancer types roam around either. Honestly, I think it's done pretty well in general, as it becomes more a choice of character personality rather than just picking if you want more loot or if you want to be nice. It brings the whole law vs chaos scale into it fairly nicely, really. I'm actually considering doing a generic uptight paladin playthrough next, because it would probably be quite different experience to my rogue.

Definitely liking the game so far. It's world, atmosphere and storyline are so incredibly rich and the game overall is truly a full fledged RPG worthy of its inspirations like Baldur's Gate.

What I love about it is that it captures that sense of wonder all the old RPG's did so well. Wonder, mystery and just lore and strong sense of another world you're in. These are almost fundamental elements for a RPG that I can hardly recall seeing in any of the recent ones, and they are very much present here. Loving the spell effects as well.

That said, the game suffers from a case of "extraordinary is ordinary" far too much for my liking, and peeling into other people's past and memories is not nearly as fun as it sounds, and there are some minor quirks like a lack of walking and stuff.

Overall though, a true RPG, one that I can best immerse myself in when I really want to escape the present, which is why I'm putting it off for later. It's never fruitful playing a rpg like this for me when there's an abundance of life issues and other games to be played, so I'll save it for a drought. :razz:

Still, here's a picture of my cash-in-paladin Berengar and his newly acquainted crew;

MfAJb.jpg

So I got stuck on level 13 of the Endless Paths, turns out you have to do some quest first. Also I highly recoomend using scouting a lot, I missed a LOT of stuff that I used a guide to find the locations off because scouting is too ****ing slow, but lots of hidden loot and buttons.

Also had my first Leaden Key ambushl, the three weakly wizards boasted about a numerical advantage against my six heavily armed party members and Sagani's wolf. Needless to say it was a very, very short fight. More of a butcher really.

By jogging, of course. :grin:

I can't fathom how developers can still leave out walking, it's such an important roleplaying feature to me. I mean, NPCs walk, why can't you?

Likewise, another quirk that bugs me is that during dialogue, characters basically freeze in the position they were in prior to engaging in conversation, this often means your character's back will be facing the character he's talking to, and the rest of your party will seemingly look in all directions except ones that are relevant and make sense.

There's quite a bit of quirks like this that take away from the experience, if ever so slightly.

Back
Top Bottom