Obsidian Entertainment - "Project Eternity" aka Pillars of Eternity

Users who are viewing this thread

I killed him, after confronting him. My logic was, if the other guy turns out to be a mass murdering bastard too, it's not like it'd be hard to come back and lop his head off too.

I managed to reach Rodric without fighting any of the guards, by going through the sewers.

The way I saw it was that as far as I know Kolsc hasn't done anything dubious.
He was the only one to escape the attack to the castle, but I don't see anything wrong with that.
Everything that Raedric says about Kolsc and everything else is completely debatable.
Raedric placed the animancer in to the dungeon and gave her free hands to turn people into zombies and ghouls.
The animancer was very sure that the blight and soulless children weren't caused by the Waidwen's Legacy, but Raedric would have none of it.
Raedric killed his children and slit his wife's throat.
Raedric had about 70% of the Gilded Vale's population hanged.

Therefore what I chose was pretty clear, trying to do right for the people.

Offed Kolsc because uh, well, I really offing rebelious bastards :grin: nothing more, probably not the nicest choice I've made, eh

I smashed through the front gate and killed everyone, but I'm out of camp supplies and got to turn back before I fight the duke(?). 

I went through the gate, killed everyone (by accident, the guards noticed me sneaking about and I didn't feel like loading a save), then went up the battlements and snuck down through the chapel, wore the priestly robes etc. Explored down in the sewers, almost got turned by the animancer, because she at least had an idea of what causes the hollowborn curse. Then I found the priest and ended up siding with him, because she had his boy in the cell. Then killed Raedric, because even if Loldude might end up crazy and despotic, Raedric did make that lovely tree.

Raedric
I killed him too, same reasons. While he certainly had the ability to be a capable leader, he has done far too many wrongs and is clearly no longer sane. Kolsc is an arse whom I will probably have to come back and beat his ass some years down the road, but at least he was less likely to hang half the village from a tree.

Playing with 6 monks on hard

Picked Kolsc with a twist. I sneaked in from the battlements, cleared the the ground floor of all guards except for the odd 10 paladin/guard combo guarding the front door. Went back upstairs and slaughtered most of the temple sect on the third floor being going down to the throne floor and slaughtering all the guards there.

Headed to the throne room battered and bloody and without camping supplies. Talked to Rodric about his wife, but lied to him about his pragmatism and promised to kill Kolsc. Went back to the city, resupplied, came back, rescued the kid in the sewer cell, started talking to the priest, who has nothing but empty promises despite being an ally to Kolsc, so I killed his entire sect before those religious fanatics can do more damage. Then I went to the sewers and cleared it, talked to the animancer and when she showed me her progress in her research being nothing more "My early stage research that has already cost a whole village their lives is about to get happening, but first let me make more flesh golems!", I killed her and her minions as well, after picking up the (undead) cat of course. The cat didn't complain at all.

Went back up to the throne room, used my archer monk to bait out the two champions of Berath to an unsuspecting corner where they got 5 monks jump on them and nearly instantly kill them (arbalest monk scored a prone inducing crit, causing one champion nearly immediately died the moment combat begun. Quarterstaff monk hits him twice while he was down and that was that. Second champion got swarmed by 5 monks and an arbalest killing him nearly instantly as well). Then the rest of the throne security team starts flooding down the hallway and I sent my guys packing to the other side. Both ranged monks already had long stride at that point, so they got there a lot faster than anyone else and sniped out an archmage. Second archmage follows them into the opposite room (from where Rodric and everyone else is busy chasing the rest of the party) and gets another arbalest/bow shot which instakills him. By now, Rodric's group gave up on chasing down my main party and started going back to the throne room, where my two ranged monks are at. The favoured of Berath gets a bolt between the eye (prone critted again) and 2 arrow to the gut, killing him. The paladin tried to chase my archer down to no avail, running straight into my monk party already positioned in the queen's room, where he gets wailed on by 2 full plate con+mig monks and 2 polearm wielding dex+mig monks and the now reloaded arbalest monk.

With that done, Rodric's retinue is now down to 1 bodyguard, 1 archer and Rodric himself, so I just do the normal formation of con plated monks up front supported by polearm monks while ranged monks pick out dangerous or weaker targets. The archer got killed near instantly by the ranged combo and one of the plated monks rushing up and smacking him in the goobar. Bodyguard gets riddled with arrows (turns out padded armor is pretty bad for arrow resist) and Rodric himself gets engaged with one plated monk while two monks with sticks taking turn beating the **** out of him. With Rodric now dead, Kolsc moves in to claim the throne. He's been a pretty swell guy up to now so I decided not end the lineage of lords then and there. The guy was also not angry at me for killing his head priest buddy so I assume he's a pragmatist as well. The town can deal with their hollowborns without the help of fancy magic or faith.

SacredStoneHead said:
About Maerwald, both times I fought him with both my parties I found it really easy, are you guys playing on expert or something?
I don't remember it being a difficult fight either. I just kept hitting him and he kept healing himself until eventually he died.

Sir Prince said:
Raedric
I killed him too, same reasons. While he certainly had the ability to be a capable leader, he has done far too many wrongs and is clearly no longer sane. Kolsc is an arse whom I will probably have to come back and beat his ass some years down the road, but at least he was less likely to hang half the village from a tree.
The guy killed his own child and wife. He was dead as soon as I entered the room.

SacredStoneHead said:
About Maerwald, both times I fought him with both my parties I found it really easy, are you guys playing on expert or something?
I'm on easy.  :lol:
Hes hard as ****.

So no tips except for ''Run till his buff go out'' ?

SacredStoneHead said:
Same here, he barely had time to cast more than a single spell. Then again, I've had very little problems with mages at any point in this game, since I can almost one shot them from stealth with my rogue armed with an arbalest, even playing on hard difficulty. Extremely satisfying that, after all the time I've been wanting for a game where crossbows are actually useful.

I have to note, this game has some really good writing. The setting is fascinating if only for the ideas related to the idea of souls and rebirth. The important characters are really interesting too, and backed up by some excellent dialogue. Sadly that doesn't necessarily extend to most of the lesser ones, but I haven't seen anything really bad yet either. I also like that there's some depth to the choices when it comes to morality, even if they are mostly quite simple and not very impactful from what I've seen.

RabbleKnight said:
Who has that spell? (Companion wise)?

It's a level 1 wizard spell, any ****ty 1st level wizard can have it.

Also concur with SootShade. This game lives up to Black Isle standards, first RPG since Fallout 2 I don't skip stuff in conversations because I'm genuinely interested in reading them.

Back
Top Bottom