Napoleon Total war

Users who are viewing this thread

Damnit, Arch, don't you know I have a limited budget? :lol:

Thanks for the quick review. The new features are cool, but I really hope they make the artillery crews not blind and deaf sometime.

Archonsod said:
92839734-3.jpg

That screenie is just fantastic

Wait a minute, are you some sort of salesman or something, Arch?  I might have to go out and spend $40.00 now even though I don't have a computer that can handle it.  :lol:

Part II, in which we fight overland and oversea

92858226-3.jpg

Naval battles aren't that much different from Empire's. Of course the graphical effects are improved here too, and we have a couple of new ship types to play with.

92858241-3.jpg

Saying that I never really got on with the naval combat in Empire, so there may be some more subtle alterations I've not noticed. The main addition is a repair order you can issue ships, which causes them to stop whatever they're doing and start repairing themselves. Although again, it's more tempting to let them burn

92858254-3.jpg

Campaign wise I'm about half way through Italy, having played the tutorial already mainly for the lulz. Again, the graphics are moved up a notch.

92856790-3.jpg

I think the biggest change for Empire vets is going to be the logistics and attrition. Leaving your army out in the field during a cold winter or in the middle of a desert summer (turns are two weeks this time around) will see men desert, die or generally get lost. Elite units are thankfully immune, as are those who are naturally acclimatised to the conditions.
On the up side, you no longer need to replenish casualties (though since you can't, it could also be a downside). You have a supply line back to your capitals which, provided there's fresh recruits available, will automatically replenish missing troopers. A new town type, the supply depot, increases the rate this happens. Generals are slightly different this time around; rather than recruiting a generic general from the ranks when you opt to recruit a general you can choose from a pool of historical figures, each one priced according to his traits and abilities.
Building wise farms, mines etc are a staple. There's a couple of new buildings such as the market town. It's now more clear precisely how given buildings influence your economy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The other major addition is the ability to switch building types. If you decide for example your dockyard would be more useful as a trading port then you can use this to convert it. It still costs gold and takes time to switch, but you get a nice discount for the trouble.
A few minor changes too. Demanding surrender is now more logical, with you being told whether the troops are willing to surrender or not (usually after taking losses they seem happy too). You do get the loot option when siezing a settlement, but since this all but razes it to the ground and pisses off the population it's not necessarily that useful. Research is still in, though I've yet to explore the tech tree.
Diplomacy is a tricky one. Yes, you get more options. Problem is, if you're playing one of Napoleon's campaigns the diplomatic stances seem set, and switch according to scripted events. This is likely to be different in the "grand campaign" game, but I've not got to it yet. Seems a shame to revamp and improve the feature and then not make much use of it.
Thus far the campaign isn't that large a step from Empire, however there are numerous subtle changes which do improve the game somewhat. It would probably be remiss of me not to mention the much expanded historical battle selection too. Most of Napoleon's defining moments are covered, although this time they're locked until you win the preceding battle, making them almost a mini-campaign in themselves. Given the scarcity of these in Empire it's much appreciated.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
So does it have a uniform editor?
Not that I can see, although rumour has it it'll come in a patch. To be honest it's not really needed; you can tell your troops apart by the style of their sideburns.

Arch, the thing you said about drummers in your last post...I've always heard drumming if I zoomed in in Empire. Or did you mean something else?

Excellent, I'm probably going to be getting a new computer some time around May, so I'll definately have t check this out when I can run it. W00t my downloa dis at 54% now! only another 10-15 hours to go!

Alright, well I got medieval 2 downloaded, but before I started updating, when I tried to play it gave me a bunch of errors about ENglish or whatever, then when I got past the loading screens it gave me a fatal graphical error. My computer exceeds all the Specs set for the game, could anybody tell me what my problem could be? Will the update fix it? if not, how do I lower the settings myself so that I can play? (Remeber if this needs done, I am unable to reach the main menu, so I need another way.)

gamerwiz09 said:
Arch, the thing you said about drummers in your last post...I've always heard drumming if I zoomed in in Empire. Or did you mean something else?
Empire you only get the drums. Napoleon you get the pipes, flutes, bugles and everything else.

There were fifes and stuff in the files of Empire, but they were never used in the vanilla game.

Must say it looks fantastic. Unique drummers and officers for units thank goodness.

Archonsod said:
Don't buy it off Steam and it is on sale, it's <£20 at retail.
Eh? Why not buy it off steam?

Stores here never have a bloody sale on games except maybe Boxing Day, and that was only a few games.

EDIT: Sweet, its only $39.99 CAD in stores! Hah!
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/napoleon-total-war-pc/10139332.aspx?path=2606cf0e1b3c2d4d31e2a5369be5643cen02

Yay! I get to play as my country!
romaniamenu.png

I got the hang of N:TW modding in <1 hour  :lol:

PS: Has anyone finished the Battle of Waterloo or the Battle of Trafalgar on hard?

Yeah, it's an emergent. I coded wallachia and moldavia to be owned by Romania and had to remove Russia as a playable faction to make Romania playable because N:TW can only have 4 playable nations.
Only downsides so far are that it doesn't have a government, and the fow isn't lifted at the start. Plus, it doesn't have any special units so I have to stick to the generic ones until a new Pack File Editor comes out.

I juts got done playing M2:TW, and I must say... the AI is ****ign mental in this game. I almost lost several battles because I told my cavalry to flank, and they decided to run in circles. Plus he lag makes commanding a just  abit more difficult than usual. Is the AI as horrible in the newer TW games?

Back
Top Bottom