Napoleon Total war

Users who are viewing this thread

Austupaio said:
gamerwiz09 said:
And even an American campaign in Medieval II: Kingdoms as well, I believe.

American natives or colonists? I didn't think they had any musketry, so I'm assuming natives.

only the colonists has weapons i think natives not

Archonsod said:
Vraid said:
So why the ridiculous price-tag?
It's twenty quid over here, which is half the RRP of Empire. The only place with a ridiculous price tag is Steam, but if something doesn't have the word sale next to it on Steam it tends to be 1/3rd more expensive than buying it at retail.
It was thirty-six quid when I got it, sadly.

huh, so none of you are going to buy it till christmas ? I bought the Emperes edition for $100, came with the statue of Napolian all the DLCs and Napolians Diary

I bought Mideival II: Total War, and started downloading. The download will take 1 day and 10 hours... is there any way to get a hard copy instead of a download? or would I have to repurchase it as a hard copy?

bgfan said:
I bought Mideival II: Total War, and started downloading. The download will take 1 day and 10 hours... is there any way to get a hard copy instead of a download? or would I have to repurchase it as a hard copy?

Probably have to repurchase it.
34 hours? your internet sucks dude.
Don't worry it'll be worth it.

Well I'm kind of downloading 7.7 GB's, and outside my house there is about 7.7 ft. of snow... I can't even see out my downstairs window!  :shock:

bgfan said:
Well I'm kind of downloading 7.7 GB's, and outside my house there is about 7.7 ft. of snow... I can't even see out my downstairs window!  :shock:

:shock: get gaming.

Vraid said:
It was thirty-six quid when I got it, sadly.
I paid £27 for the Imperial Edition. The standard edition is currently £16.99.

Jlgx50 said:
huh, so none of you are going to buy it till christmas ? I bought the Emperes edition for $100, came with the statue of Napolian all the DLCs and Napolians Diary
I didn't get a statue dammit.

EDIT - Oh, and dear Valve, kindly take your Steam disk installer and shove it up your ****ing arses. If I wanted my DVD drive to be clocked back to two speed, I'd have bought a two speed ****ing drive. Seriously, it should not take the same amount of time to download the game as it takes to install from the disk. How they managed to **** that up I do not know.

heh, the statue of Napoleon on his horse is actually really good quality, the Diary isn't to bad eather, the pages of the book all have the N:TW logo in the middle ( the eagle) in the middle of the page so it's not usable for anything, tho I guess you wouldn't use these things "really" :razz:

http://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-149181-Napoleon-Total-War---Emperors-Edition-PC

Arch if you happen to play as the British could you do some screens for the thread ? I would but since my steam account is still under someone elses controle I can;t even play the game

I did manage to insall the game up to the point it wanted me to login to steam and yer it really is a slow piece of **** :razz:
I still wish they never made the move to steam

Only another 90% to go!... I'm never shopping online ever again, damn downloads... what the **** were thye thinking making me download a 7.7 GB file?

Temuzu said:
Is there something... wrong with sprites?

Heretic! :evil:

Hey, I only stop playing Starcraft recently, so I think I've had enough sprites to last me a life-time.

Been looking around, any one found any news on the back-port? Are they even going to bother or just tell us to buy Napoleon?

Meh, I lost interest in the series after they introduced guns.
I prefer medieval combat, seems like there won't be another for a while.

I've played one battle, so a half review with some screenshots just for Josh.

92839663-3.jpg

There's some major overhauls here. First thing which probably leaps out is that it's absolutely gorgeous. These are on higher settings and it looks lovely. Best thing is, it's running far smoother than Empire, at least on my rig. The UI is also overhauled, I've turned most of it off for the screenies but it's similar to Warpath. I'm not too sure whether it's a good thing or not; on the one hand it seems awkward since the various commands now fill the entire length of the screen, on the other you now have them grouped by type; movement in the centre, attack/abilities on the right. It'll take a little getting used to I guess.
See the flag with the icon and bar? The icon gives you the unit type, while the bar shows current morale. These are visible at any zoom, so you can see how your army is faring whether you're riding shotgun with the general or zoomed right out for the overview. The overhaul extends to more than just the looks though. That drummer is no longer just a graphical touch, the units now play marching music when moving, so that's the first mod taken care of :lol:. Unit chatter is much more varied than in Empire, whether the troops are standing still or fighting for their lives. By far the most noticable change, and the one that almost had me jizzing when it first happened is the artillery

92839675-3.jpg

That's not just a pretty effect. When firing, or if you're close to the impact, artillery will shake the screen. Zoom right in to a troop coming under cannon fire and you too can experience being on the receiving end of an artillery barrage. Also note the terrain is deformable. This was a pristine field until the French wandered into range of my guns

92839693-3.jpg

Note the absolute gorgeousness of the battlefield here. The dark smoke is the remnants of the artillery burst, you can see the dust clouds kicked up by units on the move while in the distance there's low lying mist. It was a lovely quiet morning in the Prussian hills until we showed up! On the subject of maps, some of the old Empire maps show up as well as a few new ones. The newer maps have a nice design, this one for example has a long hill dominating the centre which gives you a decent objective to rush. Most of the maps now support up to 4 v 4 too (in fact, there's only one 2 v 2 map).

The hill highlights a returning flaw however

92839645-3.jpg

This here is the grand battery of the Convention, a large and deadly artillery unit. In Empire style, it's set up in the French deployment zone. While the cannons look lovely blazing away, the AI is completely oblivious to the hill. So much so, that these guys (along with another artillery unit) will spend the entire battle shooting into the hill that stands between our lines, right up until my Horse Guards sweep them away. Yup, the AI is still completely unaware of lines of fire, at least when it comes to artillery.
It's improved in other areas though. Rather than rushing your line for melee it will now form a firing line and shoot it out. In addition, it will make use of woods and similar terrain to prepare ambushes or simply give it that extra edge in a firefight. At least in this battle it was fairly sensible too, advancing with skirmishers to engage mine at long range while the line infantry marched in to killing distance. It also happily moved it's horse artillery onto a position on the hill from where it could rain havoc on my line, regrettably unaware of my Hussars sneaking up the flank

92839734-3.jpg

It did for some reason lead with it's general when advancing, not the smartest move but it had the sense to withdraw him to the rear as soon as he came under fire. I'm not sure whether this is stupidity again, or a deliberate use of the general's abilities to pump the advancing troops for as long as possible.

92839781-3.jpg

Many of the old special abilities remain. Skirmishers can deploy stakes, line infantry can fire and advance or form square. In addition, several units gain new abilities, some of which are limited use. Generals can rally nearby troops a limited number of times per battle, or they have the inspire ability which increases your troops fighting abilities. Artillery get a barrage ability which almost doubles their firing rate for a short period of time, again limited uses per battle.

Finally, some men in skirts and silly hats
92839757-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom