Cures for Muscle Stiffness

Users who are viewing this thread

I applaud you for not wanting to slow down. I encountered the same problem when I did lots of heavy muscle strain exercises such as lifting, rock climbing, and boxing, however, once I started running regularly, I lost the soreness. Getting oxygen to your muscles 24/7 is important to keep them from getting sore. In addition to taking up running, make sure you hydrate all the time, even when not exercising, and to make sure you get plenty of iron which helps with red blood cell production and the transportation of oxygen to your muscles. There's no need to slow down.

Gculk said:
You're american, right?

bah, I take offense to that. Not all Americans are lazy asses, I'd say not even the majority are lazy. It just happens that the lazy asses in America are fatter than the lazy asses in other countries.

Gculk said:
You're american, right?

Yep, from the south. As in south america, not from the former confederation  :razz:.

The most sinister Mr. Pavlov said:
You really should go and Xray the **** out of it.

Yeah I know. But I think the possible answers scare the **** out of me. I guess I'm happy living in denial  :lol:

Tibertus said:
bah, I take offense to that. Not all Americans are lazy asses, I'd say not even the majority are lazy. It just happens that the lazy asses in America are fatter than the lazy asses in other countries.
Listen, listen, listen.  Reach around behind you.  There should be something protruding from your anus.  Grasp it with both hands and pull with all your might until it has been removed completely from your anus.  Once you've gotten that giant stick out of your ass, shut up and sit down until you can get your **** together.  Nowhere there did I say anything about Americans being lazy ****s, I was wondering because if he's am American he's ****ed because of the lack of public health coverage.  Got it, kid?

Gculk said:
Tibertus said:
Listen, listen, listen.  Reach around behind you.  There should be something protruding from your anus.  Grasp it with both hands and pull with all your might until it has been removed completely from your anus.  Once you've gotten that giant stick out of your ass, shut up and sit down until you can get your **** together.  Nowhere there did I say anything about Americans being lazy ****s, I was wondering because if he's am American he's ****ed because of the lack of public health coverage.  Got it, kid?

I mistook your post and realized as such after I read D'sparil's post more closely. Everyone makes mistake, you know.

It's a very bad idea to do so when conversing with me, especially in a manner that makes you sound like an idiot that's trying to incriminate me.

Gculk said:
It's a very bad idea to do so when conversing with me, especially in a manner that makes you sound like an idiot that's trying to incriminate me.

So you're some type of demi-god who is above all us mortals and woe be any man who misreads a post and takes offense to a very common misconception about his countrymen. Right.  :roll:

D'Sparil said:
Yeah I know. But I think the possible answers scare the **** out of me. I guess I'm happy living in denial  :lol:

Perfectly understandable. Go with the second option then, load up on morphine from Juan around the corner, and if anyone ever notices you shaking just angerly tell em you're working on some new club dance moves.

Tibertus said:
Gculk said:

So you're some type of demi-god who is above all us mortals and woe be any man who misreads a post and takes offense to a very common misconception about his countrymen.
Fixed.

The most sinister Mr. Pavlov said:
D'Sparil said:

Perfectly understandable. Go with the second option then, load up on morphine from Juan around the corner, and if anyone ever notices you shaking just angerly tell em you're working on some new club dance moves.

Juan's morphine is **** and too expensive, so I would rather get some cheap stuff. I might join a cartel later to get some free ****, and then I'll wear a sleveless white shirt, and stupid winter hat or whatever is called, and I'll grow a mustache. We don't do that in Argentina but what the hell, it'll be fun while we wait for cable TV to come over, maybe they will turn our adobe buildings into real ones too!!, oh the joy!  :lol:

scootar said:
Muscle tone builds endurance. The muscles need a supply of oxygen. Aerobic workouts help the body better pump oxygen and strengthens the muscle. There is less lactic acid build up and less soreness.
Stretching is more a way of warming up the muscles so you don't pull a tendon or liniment, by slowly stretching them beforehand. Like with making a bow were you slow stretch the string so that it don't break in combat.
Call me a pedant, but "tone" is just the tension in a muscle. Also, stretching before exercise probably has more neurological effects than structural ones.

You're advice is alright, but you're not quite right about the mechanisms.

Gculk said:
Papa Lazarou said:
Technically, stretching doesn't actually help once you have delayed-onset muscle soreness. If you stretch directly after exercise (and do it properly), that might help recovery. Stretching can also help with spasming, but I don't think it will reduce delayed-onset muscle soreness.
------------------------------------
Stretching involves muscle extension. And I don't know what muscle tone has to do with recovery time - I think greater muscle tone would mean more tearing if anything.
Your technical manual needs to be dragged out and shot, then.  Stretching is pretty much the best thing that I've done for it.  I stretched over lunch break and my stiffness went from "OOOHMAHGAWDICAN'TMOVEWHOTIEDMEUPANDBEATMESENSELESS" to "Oh, my muscles are sore.  Who'da thunkit?"
When did I mention stiffness?

Gculk said:
lol

Papa Lazarou said:
scootar said:
Muscle tone builds endurance. The muscles need a supply of oxygen. Aerobic workouts help the body better pump oxygen and strengthens the muscle. There is less lactic acid build up and less soreness.
Stretching is more a way of warming up the muscles so you don't pull a tendon or liniment, by slowly stretching them beforehand. Like with making a bow were you slow stretch the string so that it don't break in combat.
Call me a pedant, but "tone" is just the tension in a muscle. Also, stretching before exercise probably has more neurological effects than structural ones.

You're advice is alright, but you're not quite right about the mechanisms.
Using tone has been a habit since high school. We used it, because it was shorter to say than the hardness of muscle. It's not the tension build up you get while working out.

As for stretching I'm pretty sure it's more structural, people who don't stretch before work outs receive more tendon and ligament damage.

Yes, but that could equally be because the muscles fail to relax enough, putting stress onto their tendons. Also, I don't think you can temporarily increase the extensibility of tendons, except maybe by heating them. Along with that, the fact that flexibility increases greatly and temporarily after static stretching, but not as much after aerobic exercise, suggests that flexibility is (in general) primarily a neurological rather than structural issue, at least in the short term.

I think ligament damage is a separate issue - I don't think they're effected much by normal stretching. And they shouldn't be directly effected by the extensibility of a muscle, since they don't directly interact with muscles in the way tendons do.

And tone is the tension built up working out. It's any background muscle tension.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_tone

Edit: I'm pretty rusty on this stuff though, so all that might be crap. Sorry if I'm offending anyone with my ignorance =p

Well I'll address the muscle tone statement by rephrasing my old one.
We used it, because it was shorter to say than the hardness of muscle built though working out and not the tension build up you get while working out.
We improperly used it and it became "slang".

Flexibility does have relay on the mind as well, spasms are involuntary nerve signals sent by the brain. It's thought to be program into us to we wouldn't hurt ourselves. The advice however is strictly from a non-physiological point of view, because that can't be changed. I'm not 100% sure on the stretching and physiological relationship. I do think that stretching tricks the mind into going over the "threshold".

I do realize tendons are muscle to bone and ligaments are bone to bone. I've seen it happen. I don't really know how, but people can tear ligaments playing sports.
Perhaps it's impact related and my reminiscing is diluting the facts.

On a last note, I told him that stretching and aerobics was a good idea in his class, because aerobic exercises and stretching do help with elasticity.

scootar said:
I do realize tendons are muscle to bone and ligaments are bone to bone. I've seen it happen. I don't really know how, but people can tear ligaments playing sports.
Perhaps it's impact related and my reminiscing is diluting the facts.
I expect it's mostly with freaky twisting movements and stuff - particularly in directions in which the joint isn't designed to move. Like twisting force on the knee, or force on the side of the knee or something.

Sounds like we're pretty much on the same page after all though. I'm just a bit paranoid about misconceptions. Sorry if I caused trouble haha.

Hmmm , my recommandation?  Have some hot baths to relax the muscles, also have some massage if possible. Along with this take some proteins before and after your training. Creatine may also help you sustain more effort but your muscles will retain more water and you will gain a little in weight. Also do alot of stretching .
Also when training do proper warmups. If your training with weights etc dont go hard from the beggining. Start with low weights and push up , this helps your muscles. Other than this? I dont know.......... as for pain killers AVOID taking that. If you wont feel the pain then how are you supposed to know when something is definatly wrong with your muscles aka when a serious problem is about to occur? Simply, you wont.... maybe this will happen in the middle of the competition.

Also the best solution OVER ALL THE ABOVE.... get some rest...... whats the point of training if you wont be able to walk when competition arrives?

Gculk said:
Zankie, Pavlov.

Basically, I'd love to have the luxury of sitting off and letting my muscles regenerate, but I'm already signed up for a competetive climbing league for the winter, and I've got fencing tournaments coming up this spring, so I need to keep it up, because I intend to win everything.  :razz:

Can you get some of those wraps which apply heat for 12 hours to the place that hurts?  They make them for knee wraps, upper arm wraps, even hand wraps.  I use the biggest one on my back when it plays up and they work really well.  I hope also that you always stretch a lot before the exercise?  Also doing some Yoga before shoudl help, but neither of those things works after the fact.

Back
Top Bottom