Cures for Muscle Stiffness

Users who are viewing this thread

hot bath and massage do help. but if those are not available, try giving the sore muscles a bit of an excercise. i don't agree with the other guys who say you should give them some rest. when i just started to go the gym i used to have terrible muscle soreness and it lasted for a few days. and my trainer suggested that if i had a sore biceps i should just take something moderately heavy and do a few pulls. first i thought that he was crazy because it hurt as hell just to move around. but when i actually tried i found out that it's a great and almost immediate releaf.

Weaver said:
hot bath and massage do help. but if those are not available, try giving the sore muscles a bit of an excercise. i don't agree with the other guys who say you should give them some rest. when i just started to go the gym i used to have terrible muscle soreness and it lasted for a few days. and my trainer suggested that if i had a sore biceps i should just take something moderately heavy and do a few pulls. first i thought that he was crazy because it hurt as hell just to move around. but when i actually tried i found out that it's a great and almost immediate releaf.

Your trainer should be beaten dude. The reason your muscle stopped hurting is because you started tearing them again. Your muscles heal and grow when your rest them. Continuing to tear them while they are recovering is basically working against you. Also muscle soreness means you're over training, which again, working against yourself. After a solid workout your muscles are supposed to feel tight, but not sore, unless you're in your first few weeks of training.

That's one of the reasons your meant to have rest days in between heavy exercise days.

You don't have to stop exercising, just do some easy exercises the day after a hard workout day.

Gculk said:
Suspect-Device said:
Have a bath and avoid working on whatever muscle group is giving you jip for a while.
Why on earth would I do that?  I want to cure the stiffness so I can excercise more.  Well, so I can excercise more comfortably.  I'm not going to take the ***** way out and excercise less.  :lol:  I'm already excercising 6-7 days a week.  :razz:
Oh God.

Technically, stretching doesn't actually help once you have delayed-onset muscle soreness. If you stretch directly after exercise (and do it properly), that might help recovery. Stretching can also help with spasming, but I don't think it will reduce delayed-onset muscle soreness.

As to what will work, I don't really know. Alternate hot and cold baths or showers, reasonably vigorous massage, light activity and stuff like that probably.

Just keep up some light activity, and rest - and make sure you're working at a level you can adapt to. More training obviously doesn't always mean better results. If you're going to continue training with muscle soreness, remember that it may affect your technique. Depending on how sore you are, it might be better to focus on recovery.

Yes, I took you seriously even though this thread is just a shameless public wankathon.

scootar said:
Stretching, so your muscles don't hyper-extend. Aerobics, helps the heart pump faster and muscle tone increase so they can sustain longer activity and don't get as sore (Swimming is suggested).
Stretching involves muscle extension. And I don't know what muscle tone has to do with recovery time - I think greater muscle tone would mean more tearing if anything.

Muscle tone builds endurance. The muscles need a supply of oxygen. Aerobic workouts help the body better pump oxygen and strengthens the muscle. There is less lactic acid build up and less soreness.
Stretching is more a way of warming up the muscles so you don't pull a tendon or liniment, by slowly stretching them beforehand. Like with making a bow were you slow stretch the string so that it don't break in combat.

scootar said:
Bananas and salt, the potassium helps.

Aye.
I'm on a similar situation as Gculk, the difference being that the deltoids of my left soulder are completely trashed and tremble (for real) everytime I work them out  :lol:. They still keep growing so I don't know what the **** is going on there.

The most sinister Mr. Pavlov said:
Weaver said:

Your trainer should be beaten dude. The reason your muscle stopped hurting is because you started tearing them again. Your muscles heal and grow when your rest them. Continuing to tear them while they are recovering is basically working against you. Also muscle soreness means you're over training, which again, working against yourself. After a solid workout your muscles are supposed to feel tight, but not sore, unless you're in your first few weeks of training.
well, duh, as i told you it happened just when i FIRST started going to the gym. i know muscles grow while healing but at the time my aim was to get them accustomed to stress. i'm not talking about tearing them - just a basic excerise. might do it even without any weight.

D'Sparil said:
scootar said:

Aye.
I'm on a similar situation as Gculk, the difference being that the deltoids of my left soulder are completely trashed and tremble (for real) everytime I work them out  :lol:. They still keep growing so I don't know what the **** is going on there.
I've been seeing that **** since middle school football.

Either you're working out heavily and it's just growing, but you're doing it too often. Give your arms one day rest, doesn't have to be full rest light workouts jumping jacks, jump rope basically no weights. Hell running works too. The best option is to workout another part of the body.

The more common problem is locking your muscles, I can't stress this enough. You're only going to decrease your muscle yield and life span. On any weights make sure the part of your body you're working out never comes up completely and gets in a rest position. It's worse than going all the way down and staying there, because all the gravitational force goes to the joints taking pressure off the muscles and grinding your joints. I would make sure you're not doing this first.
If you have trouble talk to trainer and make sure your form is correct.

scootar said:
D'Sparil said:
scootar said:

Aye.

Either you're working out heavily and it's just growing, but you're doing it too often. Give your arms one day rest.

It's not that. I can spend, like I have till last week, months without going to the gym, but, as an example, everytime Im on the bus, and I raise my arm to hold the upper bar my left shoulder trembles. I can try to hold on to it, but in the end I have to switch and raise my right arm, because it becomes unbearable.

That would be the muscles healing and growing, at least I think. Months at a time without hard physical activity is bond make muscle tone drop. The sudden springing into action makes the muscle have too much LA. The body can't process it out as quickly, because you haven't worked out. So it stays in a little longer. You should get used to it. The trembling pain is probably the deltoids crying out for the oxygen it needs. Again make sure your form is correct when working out, it might be joint related. It's a rare it would make you tremble, but I've seen it once or twice.

Papa Lazarou said:
Technically, stretching doesn't actually help once you have delayed-onset muscle soreness. If you stretch directly after exercise (and do it properly), that might help recovery. Stretching can also help with spasming, but I don't think it will reduce delayed-onset muscle soreness.

------------------------------------

Stretching involves muscle extension. And I don't know what muscle tone has to do with recovery time - I think greater muscle tone would mean more tearing if anything.
Your technical manual needs to be dragged out and shot, then.  Stretching is pretty much the best thing that I've done for it.  I stretched over lunch break and my stiffness went from "OOOHMAHGAWDICAN'TMOVEWHOTIEDMEUPANDBEATMESENSELESS" to "Oh, my muscles are sore.  Who'da thunkit?"

@Dsparil
Is it a sharp pain, inside the joint, or close behind the joint?

@-vily
No, that would be the healing. The acid is stuck in there. The lymph nodes working with low blood flow during his inactive period aren't are good as ones in someone works out more often. That statement did make sound like the two were more closely related though.

scootar said:
Months at a time without hard physical activity is bond make muscle tone drop. The sudden springing into action makes the muscle have too much LA.

Sudden springing into action as in raising your arm for whatever mundane action I have to perform? :neutral:
And it doesn't hurt, it justs starts trembling but it's annoying and makes you lose a bit of control of the arm.

And my form when working out is ****ing good. Been working out for years and my first teacher was a military trainer who taught me how to correctly perform the exercises, and then my doctor who taught me a lot of stuff. But despite that, I guess I ****ed up my shoulder  :lol:

@Gculk: the deltoids start shaking, it's not painfull, it just feels strange, and it makes me want to lower my arm so it stops, its unpleasant and feels very weird.

No, meet the not working out for a long then starting a new regiment.
If it's trembling, I used to get that though when I started working out again. That's just the blood rushing, because you're sore.

I haven't didn't have a large amount of control muscle loss, if it gets really bad it might be nerve damage.

D'Sparil said:
@Gculk: the deltoids start shaking, it's not painfull, it just feels strange, and it makes me want to lower my arm so it stops, its unpleasant and feels very weird.
Ah, righto, then just a mild muscle spasm, probably.  I had really bad bursitis for the longest time.  Sounded exactly like you were saying.  If I lifted it, it'd be too painful to go past a certain point.  Eventually it got to the point where everything I did had to be below about belly-button height.

Usually they hurt, well it's more likely that then the nerve damage.
Make sure you get the potassium, protein and water. Don't forget to stretch.

Gculk said:
Ah, righto, then just a mild muscle spasm, probably.  I had really bad bursitis for the longest time.

The only reason it gets my attention is because I have had it for years already, and it doesn't stop, I mean until last week, last time I had worked out was around october, yet, during those months in between,  everytime I raised my left arm for more than 10 seconds, the shoulder started to shake. Anyways, I can still work it out, I feel and intense burning sometimes, much more than what I feel in other muscles, or in the right shoulder, but I can still go on.

D'Sparil said:
Gculk said:
Ah, righto, then just a mild muscle spasm, probably.  I had really bad bursitis for the longest time.

The only reason it gets my attention is because I have had it for years already, and it doesn't stop, I mean until last week, last time I had worked out was around october, yet, during those months in between,  everytime I raised my left arm for more than 10 seconds, the shoulder started to shake. Anyways, I can still work it out, I feel and intense burning sometimes, much more than what I feel in other muscles, or in the right shoulder, but I can still go on.

You really should go and Xray the **** out of it.

Back
Top Bottom