Cures for Muscle Stiffness

Users who are viewing this thread

Gculk

Grandmaster Knight
It's finally happened.  With the new addition of rock climbing I've picked up too many activities, and my muscles are leading a revolt.  Constantly.  So.  Anyone have any good cures for this particular form of torture?

*Dr Alex walks in*

Ah yes, I suspect a bout of Masturbation might do you good. Here, take these pictures.

Masturbate to one of these twice a day, and you'll be right as rain.

Have a bath and avoid working on whatever muscle group is giving you jip for a while.

It should go away in a couple days regardless.

Suspect-Device said:
Have a bath and avoid working on whatever muscle group is giving you jip for a while.
Why on earth would I do that?  I want to cure the stiffness so I can excercise more.  Well, so I can excercise more comfortably.  I'm not going to take the ***** way out and excercise less.  :lol:  I'm already excercising 6-7 days a week.  :razz:

Take a hot bath with epsom salts. Also works for bumps bruises, sprains, stress fractures/shin splints and swelling.

stretching and shifting training focus, so if its your arms that are acting up let them rest and train the legs.

Gculk said:
It's finally happened.  With the new addition of rock climbing I've picked up too many activities, and my muscles are leading a revolt.  Constantly.  So.  Anyone have any good cures for this particular form of torture?

*dawns cape*

FORUM PERSONAL TRAINER TO THE RESCUE!!!

Best thing you can do honestly is to rest them, but I know you're pig headed as **** so you won't do that. Second best option is to to feed them, so to speak, and that would be protein. Lots and lots of protein. Helps them rebuild faster basically so you can continue abusing them. I recommend Gold Standard Whey. Also you probably also need some serious vitamins due to you athletic regiment. Animal Pak should cover you. Twice a day.

Zankie, Pavlov.

Basically, I'd love to have the luxury of sitting off and letting my muscles regenerate, but I'm already signed up for a competetive climbing league for the winter, and I've got fencing tournaments coming up this spring, so I need to keep it up, because I intend to win everything.  :razz:

Gculk said:

Gentle exercise and stretching to help dissipate any lactic acid that is being stored. Have a hot bath to loosen your muscles and relieve the tension. Gently massaging the affected muscles should help (and similarly help disperse build ups of lactic acid). If you're desperate, you could take something like codeine to stop the pain. Then you should be able to keep working through it. But that wouldn't be such a good idea. Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong, and if you just take painkillers and keep doing what causes pain, you risk potential long-term damage to your body.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
lactic acid that is being stored.
The rest is good advice, and this point isn't important, but it isn't lactic acid.  Lactic acid is a short term effect, and it disipates quite quickly after an excercise is finished.  The type of muscle pain I am talking about is delayed onset muscle soreness, the soreness hours or days after an exercise.

Oh, I thought you meant your muscles were getting stiff as you were climbing. In that case, the only thing that will really help is slowing down your training regime, and then gradually increasing it in small increments. Keep doing your fencing at whatever level you're at, since those muscles have already been worked in and are used to the exercise. When you climb, just do it once or twice a week at first, in short sessions. Then slowly increase the time you spend climbing.

And I cannot stress this enough, invest in a decent pair of climbing shoes. Doing it in trainers/sneakers or boots will only add to your pain.

I've got dece shoes for climbing, not climbing shoes, but they've got great grip and all that.  I intend to get a pair of climbing shoes soon though.

Also, I have no intention of slowing down my training regimen.  Competition isn't waiting on me.  :lol:

Bananas and salt, the potassium helps. Stretching, so your muscles don't hyper-extend. Aerobics, helps the heart pump faster and muscle tone increase so they can sustain longer activity and don't get as sore (Swimming is suggested).

Back
Top Bottom