Religions in Bannerlord

How should/should religion be included in bannerlord?

• I don’t think religion or any similar kind of rhetoric should be included.

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Subtle implications should exist, but it shouldn’t be the ‘main thing’.

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Definitely should exist as a strong element.

Votes: 18 26.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, so I was curious if the game (singleplayer campaign) is going to contain any kind of religious elements? Or will it be the same as before - no sign of religious motives etc. (While we all subtly and quietly knew Sarranids were Muslims, Rhodoks and Swadians were Catholic, Vaegirs Orthodox, and Nords were Germanic Pagans)(thats what I figured, anyway)

I personally think especially in this era, this definitely should be a ‘thing’. Because religion, or nationalism(but thats not applicable this early) are like the top motives to either:

-Fight/Sign up to fight: fighting and dying for god is glorious and thus a ticket to heaven/valhalla/whatever.

-Tolerate crappy living conditions/Serfdom etc: being silent and living unrewarding humble lives is totally okay because you’ll go to heaven as long as you keep away from certain sins, motivating people to live and die like livestock.

List goes on.

So If religion totally did not exist - the whole ‘system’ would fall apart, so I’d say it has to be mentioned more/given more importance, what do you think?

There is nothing for me to think. It's either implemented or it's not implemented. There is no discussion about old world religions, as they don't exist in calradia. Perhaps some small bits can be found, but they will have nothing to do with religions we know about, apart from paganism, which seems like legit choise for Battania.
Nevetheless, we as a players will either see very very small bits of religion here and there, but it will be far from what you think about. Which is totally fine by me because i don't give a flying **** about it.

It does not look like there will be religion in the game. At least not in terms of notable gameplay features.

Seems to be various characters and text in the vids referring to the 'Heavens' so there at least is some sort of conception of a transcendent realm. Doubt it'll take much of the centre stage though. 

Duh said:
It does not look like there will be religion in the game. At least not in terms of notable gameplay features.

We have seen Notables who speak as if they have come from a religious background. Examples such as "I am the son of the Heavens and I have seen the others go in the wrong path" or something along those lines. Religion I inagine in Bannerlord will influence standing with other Notables and AI lords.

Given the times we live in, I think that religion should probably be very abstract with mentionings of "heaven" as the most concrete things to do. Kind of how things are in Warbands.

I would find very interesting to have religions playing an important role in the game, but I think this would put the release date even further away.

That been said, I'm okay with religion being just cosmetic.

Probably religion will not play a huge part in the game. If it did, I`m sure it would have been presented to us in some form already.
Political reasons probably affect the matter. Paganism isn`t really a problem, but making something too similar to existing large religions would definitely cause some controversy. Similarly in this age when conflict between religions is a fairly politically loaded topic, its probably smart to steer away from that and focus on more secular aspects of medieval life.

It`s a bit of a shame, because religion was such a huge part of medieval society. The catholic church at one point owned a third of all real estate in Catholic Europe. Incorporating religion like that would change the political aspect immensely.

I`m guessing we`re going to get vague references and maybe a couple of minor NPCs that are explicitly religious (Some kind of a druid figure would fit the Wolfskins pretty well, or a shaman among the Khuzait). Don`t think we`re gonna see temples or religious organizations in the vanilla version.

Religion can be quite a controversial subject nowadays and might not be added even though it was a big element of medieval society.

Honestly it is up to Taleworlds on what role religion should play in Bannerlord or if it should even have a role.

Personally I don't have any strong feelings on the subject matter, although saying that it would be weird and immersion breaking if fictional characters in a fictional setting started to mention real life religions.

If Taleworlds does decide to include religion as a part of their game then perhaps it should be fictional religions instead of real ones, though they could be based off real life religions kind of like what they did for factions.

Doing this would also help Taleworlds avoid any potential controversy (especially in Turkey where the vast majority of the population is religious).

Edit: Changed wording. Added stuff

Religious war is a queasy topic these days. I don't know what's the current attitude in Turkey, but I think it's wiser to avoid any reference. Don't forget that a company is not a modding team.

Kentucky James said:
I don't buy the whole "if we put religion in, it'll be too controversial" argument. Plenty of games (paradox, civilisation, total war) have real world religions in them. Plenty of warband mods do. I see no controversy there.

Absolutely. Funny how some people tolerate selling prisoners to Ramun the slave trader, but will get offended if something like religion would be in...  :roll:

Also, I've noticed a few notables are "preachers", so I still have some hope.That would be a must for mods. I'd love to see it,at least as a DLC.

Games mentioned by Jacob not were controversial because religion is very important in history, as a DLC will works

Back
Top Bottom