Transfer: M&B Repository -> M&B Nexus

Users who are viewing this thread

Janus

*spicy* *camper*
Administrator
So, the guy who runs the Nexus sites has contacted me in regards to his plans to open up a Nexus site for the Mount&Blade series. He apparently enjoys the series, and has been asked by many of his users about the idea. He's said that it will be some time yet before he'll be ready to tackle such a site, but it's planned.

One possibility we've briefly discussed would be to transition the contents of the Repository over to a new Mount&Blade Nexus site. This way, all of the files and listings would be preserved.

Some notes about the possible transition that come to mind:
  • I doubt we'd be able to preserve the user list in the transition. If this were the case, users would need to claim ownership of file listings by confirming their identity, probably by entering their username/password they used on the Repository site.
  • Comments for file listings might also be lost, but... honestly, that might not be a bad thing.
  • The Nexus sites do have ads, and downloading files above a certain size does require setting up a free account. Probably not a real concern for most people, but since those were a couple of things I stressed about the Repository (no ads and no need for an account to download), I figure it's worth mentioning.
  • Download speeds will likely be improved.
I normally wouldn't consider such a transition of control of the contents of the Repository site to someone else, but with it being the Nexus, which I use and appreciate myself for other games, I'm very seriously considering it.

I'll post a poll after a few days of discussion so people can vote on it. Again though, this isn't something that's likely to happen very soon.

Well, I'm using Nexus as well and it's a good site to find mods, but I really like the repository better. It's just more clear and without ads/account force.
But of course I'd support a M&B section at Nexus, just don't move the repository.

There are some advantages to both sides.

Plus Side, Repository:

1. I think its search function is about as good (and certainly faster) than the Nexus. 
2. You can actually get help from Janus, if necessary.
3. Updating files and performing maintenance is a cinch.
4. No barriers to entry for new files, once you're a trusted user; no lengthy waiting period.
5. Good integration with community.
6. Small files have hardly any wait time.
7. No barriers to entry for newbies.

Plus Side, Nexus:

1.  Big file sizes are OK.
2.  More bandwidth.
3.  Picture archives, so that your mod can include a lot of screenshots without cluttering up release notes.
4.  It's prettier (sorry Janus)
5.  It has Top Lists of various kinds, that make it so that a wide variety of the best stuff can get coverage.
6.  It's a third party, so they don't have to worry as much about self-censorship issues.

Whilst I would, personally, favour the repository (no ads/account and it fits the communitry) I also think it's hard to deny that being part of the Nexus sites would grant a great deal of publicity to the game. Which has its benefits.

Nexus was a great site when i used it for oblivion and fallout, but i think the repository is much more suited for the modding community. It serves its purpose as a repository for mods that are developed here.

Also, If i remember correctly Nexus has a limit on the maximum file size to 200MB.

Hmm. The Repository is absolutely fantastic in my experience and I can't say I'm a great fan of the Nexuses. They can be a bit confusing at times. However, if it would get the game noticed more then it would definitely be a good thing.

Can't both be used? :razz:

A shift to nexus would guarantee more modders, thus more mods ( I know we have plenty of those). As someone previously said, it brings m&b more publicity.

It's good that Nexus has faster download speeds, the speed you have on the repository is often disappointing in comparison with for example Moddb.

But I do not think that Nexus would be a real revolution. I should stick to the MBRepository personally.

Absolutely not.  No.  Never

Nexus sites are BAD.  They attract immature kids looking for nude/sex mods that DDoS and n00b file listings to oblivion.  (No pun intended.)  There's file size limits, insanely intrusive advertisements, and I hate the system and the way it's set up. 

There's NOTHING wrong with the Repository.  If anything, I'd rather see some sort of Desura integration.  The Nexus sites are run far too much like a business, and one of the top reasons that I like the M&B modding community is the awesome Repository.  It suits our needs just fine. 

He can go ahead and set up a M&B Nexus, but I would never use it.  Even in the Repository closed down. 

(Sorry for my English)
Perhaps the Repository is better, but I think with Nexus the game will have more popularity and is known by many other people. Also IMHO Nexus is a full service and ordered to take any mod.

RaoXy said:
(Sorry for my English)
Perhaps the Repository is better, but I think with Nexus the game will have more popularity and is known by many other people. Also IMHO Nexus is a full service and ordered to take any mod.
i agree..

Oh, I should also mention that the main reason it won't be happening all that soon (if it does happen) is that the Nexus sites as a whole are going through a complete overhaul/rewrite.

I hadn't realized there was a file size limit there. I just checked their wiki and it's apparently unlimited storage per file listing (however many files you want to upload), but with a 300 MB limit per individual file. Hmm. That could certainly be a problem.
The multiple files per listing, screenshot galleries, and increased bandwidth are nice though.

I've used both of them, I like Repository's straight-style, no ads, no accounts, no limits. But sometimes it's a little busy and slow.
I've used Nexus for Oblivion and New Vegas, I like the layout, the options, the description/screenshot/etc. screen. But at the moment of downloads it's a little frustrating to wait for the ads to go off, or having to select a server :b

BigBoss said:
I've used both of them, I like Repository's straight-style, no ads, no accounts, no limits. But sometimes it's a little busy and slow.
I've used Nexus for Oblivion and New Vegas, I like the layout, the options, the description/screenshot/etc. screen. But at the moment of downloads it's a little frustrating to wait for the ads to go off, or having to select a server :b

It doesn't make too much o a difference for me, because I have to watch a 30 second video every time I want to click a download link in the Nexus, and every time it's a big mod, I have to download 3 or 4 files so I end up sitting there waiting for ads to finish playing for like 5 minutes, whereas with the Repository, I just click download and walk away. 

I don't want someone who's not at all involved with the community in charge of the downloads site.  That would be the most awful thing that happened to us in a while.  With Janus, you know he's always there keeping things in check.  If you have a big file or a question, you can just PM him, and he's reasonable.  The Nexus is foreign.  Let him open up his Nexus, but my files aren't going there, even if I have to host them on my server. 

Aslo, I never noticed the Repository (in either of it's incarnations, I know of two) being slow at all. Indeed, I've been amazed at the smoothness of it, seeing as it's rather massive. While my (admittedly sparse) experience with Nexus made it feel like a juggernaut; slow as hell. And much less, well, stylish than the Repository. :razz:

Back
Top Bottom