SP - General You should not be able to block a lance charge with a weapon

Users who are viewing this thread

snuggans

Veteran
aside from how difficult it would be to do in real life, let's look at it in gameplay terms: it reduces the value of both shields and cavalry. shields have limited HP, weapons don't and thus you or the AI can infinitely block until the cavalry makes a mistake. cavalry will end up getting less kills and be less effective overall. why should a peasant with a scythe or mallet be able to block an elite cataphract endlessly? its bizarre

possible solutions:
-blocking a lance charge with a weapon does nothing
-give weapons an HP parameter like shields so they can only take a limited amount of abuse
-you take partial damage when blocking with a weapon, to represent the lance being deflected into another part of your body
-increase cavalry charge damage by a lot. should a giant animal speeding into you only cause 5 damage each time?

for some unknown reason only a limited amount of lances/spears are couchable despite them being 1 handed polearms of appropriate length, and the AI only occasionally couches, if they are even able to at all. but thats besides the point, this thread is about thrusting from horseback (which makes up the majority of spear/lance use) versus weapon blocking. even without couching it still doesn't make sense that any weapon blocking can completely negate a thrust that has momentum behind it. couching has its own separate benefits like crushing shields that i'm not asking for

the block system need to take a look seriously, or this game will be blocking simulation. Cav charge blocked by a working hammer from looter, If I build an army just to hold the cav flank, looter will be the best choice lol

I really wish the game had some crush through like mechanics for stabbing, like you would need a high level skill to be able to block it, else it just goes through

It's really quite annoying as it is now. Spears are almost useless, except against unaware people. I'm used to well blocking NPCs from RBM, but RBM has a crush through mechanic and a posture system which vanilla lacks. It would be terribly hard to block or deflect a spear thrust from a rider of a fast moving horse in reality, that should be reflected in the game.

Back
Top Bottom