Worth the Price Tag?

Is Bannerlord worth essentially paying the price for a new AAA game?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I've made 4 playthroughs so far, and steamrolling only happened in one of them. It's definitely very very random. I agree that it shouldn't be happening at all however, at least not in the first 40 or 50 hours of a playthrough.
out of curiousty how long was each playthrough because in my first 25 hour playthrough southern empire took everything I tried to start a new game and within a few hours battania steam rolled western empire doesnt seem very rare and i dont want to test it again and waste another of my 25 hours

I wouldn't recommend buying the game right now.

If you look here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?forums/crash-reports.666/ you can see there's a bunch of people that bought this game and can't even enter the main manu (cause the game keep crashing on loading screens) despite meeting all requirement and trying multiple suggested "fixes".

When devs fix those critical errors I'd check again and decide. Right now many people are very close to refunding.

Oh man I haven't heard about those. Another commenter said that they've been rolling out hotfixes at a very fast pace, so hopefully they can have all of those errors packed away soon enough. I'm thinking that I might give it until the end of the discount width to make a decision on buying it in the near future, just to see if they do indeed make good strides in fixing/improving the game. But if not, I'm with the idea of holding off on buying it. I'm fine with paying a few more dollars down the road for a completed game, I'm just really concerned about buying a game that is still full of flaws for the price that it's marked as. If it was twenty or thirty dollars base price it'd already be in my library haha, but an early access game being this costly? Unless they truly show a lot of improvement before the 13th I'll probably wait until it is fully finished. Thanks for the link and information.

out of curiousty how long was each playthrough because in my first 25 hour playthrough southern empire took everything I tried to start a new game and within a few hours battania steam rolled western empire doesnt seem very rare and i dont want to test it again and waste another of my 25 hours
1st playthrough was only 2 hours, then I found out some things I shouldn't of done and restarted. Second playthrough was 12 hours, 3rd playthrough was 14 hours, and my last playthrough I've only been going 2 hours.
Edit:: But I've read the other thread that was on here of people complaining about this issue and every person has a different empire steamrolling essentially. It's not just one empire being the problem.

1st playthrough was only 2 hours, then I found out some things I shouldn't of done and restarted. Second playthrough was 12 hours, 3rd playthrough was 14 hours, and my last playthrough I've only been going 2 hours.
ah I see yeah once you start getting just a tad more into late game it will get a million times worse from my understanding. it really does make your whole experience feel pointless i felt nothing when 25 hours in there was literally nothing to do

Oh man I haven't heard about those. Another commenter said that they've been rolling out hotfixes at a very fast pace, so hopefully they can have all of those errors packed away soon enough. I'm thinking that I might give it until the end of the discount width to make a decision on buying it in the near future, just to see if they do indeed make good strides in fixing/improving the game. But if not, I'm with the idea of holding off on buying it. I'm fine with paying a few more dollars down the road for a completed game, I'm just really concerned about buying a game that is still full of flaws for the price that it's marked as. If it was twenty or thirty dollars base price it'd already be in my library haha, but an early access game being this costly? Unless they truly show a lot of improvement before the 13th I'll probably wait until it is fully finished. Thanks for the link and information.

Just FYI, it's going to be $50 on release as well. So the price isn't changing in that aspect. Essentially if you buy it right now, it's already on sale. So really this is a steal, EA or not.

Just FYI, it's going to be $50 on release as well. So the price isn't changing in that aspect. Essentially if you buy it right now, it's already on sale. So really this is a steal, EA or not.

Yeah it is a steal. Taking money for a game that cannot start and crashes before main menu. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to go down in price or anything. It's just a problem of gauging if it is worth buying it now to have it gather dust for a few months in the case that it ceases to improve at the rate it is going at now. I just don't like the idea of the game sitting in my library being occasionally played while I wait for everything to be implemented. I'd be a bad investment banker ?. But I do see your point though, I really do. I'm on the fence about it right now. If they manage to continue to fix everything at the rate you say, then that'll probably be the deciding factor in me buying it during the discount or a few months/years from now.

EDIT: Clarification.

Roughly the price of a AAA game. In terms of USD, a full-price AAA is 60$ and the undiscounted price of Bannerlord is 50$, so they're roughly the same. Granted I have a total of 20% off, making it sum up to 40$ which I'll admit is a decent bit less. I was looking more at the base price of 50$ to open an avenue of discussion about the general price marking in regards to other similar early access games (hence my mention of DayZ and its price changes throughout its development). Thanks for the response.
Yeah, I guess I was being a bit pedantic. I'd say the "worth" of getting the game early depends on your spending ability and love for the franchise most of all.

Yeah, I guess I was being a bit pedantic. I'd say the "worth" of getting the game early depends on your spending ability and love for the franchise most of all.

No need to apologize my good man. It's good to call out errors sometimes, I wasn't as specific in my comparison I should've been and now my clarification is out there for others to read too :smile:.
(Also had to google "pedantic", haven't heard it before. It's a really good word actually, thanks for expanding my vocabulary)

Definitely not. But you're asking on fanboy central here. It's a broken copy of Warband that looks a little prettier, with way more bugs and unfinished features, that took EIGHT YEARS to make. And then it still release in early access, for AAA pricing, with a laundry list of broken stuff.

Definitely not. But you're asking on fanboy central here. It's a broken copy of Warband that looks a little prettier, with way more bugs and unfinished features, that took EIGHT YEARS to make. And then it still release in early access, for AAA pricing, with a laundry list of broken stuff.

Again, they've already release 3 hotfixes. That have addressed most of the major crashing issues. It has bugs yes, but that's what Early Access is. They are an incredibly small dev team. I don't think 99% of you knows what video game making is like, nor how long it takes. For a small dev team to create the masterpieces that were Warband and others, and now this, is nothing short of astounding. This game is fully playable with some hiccups.
Everyone needs to stop whining and realize it is EARLY ACCESS. Don't like it? DONT BUY IT.

I would say its worth it. The devs have already started on a daily update path and have been communicating pretty well considering everything going on with COVID and the absolute massive amounts of posts on these forums with issues/complaints/rants to sift through.

The biggest turn off, if you're a single player guy, is probably the steam rolling that seems to happen in a lot of campaigns. (Read up on forums if you're unsure what I mean by steamrolling.) I have a feeling that will be addressed pretty urgently though.

Also, keep in mind- there is a 2 hour refund period on Steam. So if you buy the game and can't get it to work, or you just get an immediate feeling of regret, refund it. However, if you're like me, and you get a lot of joy out of simply having a new Mount and Blade experience and are willing to be apart of an unfinished game, by all means I think it's worth the $40.

I've been having a blast so far and haven't experienced enough issues with the game that it's made me feel any regret or less excitement for the game.

For single player **** no. Don't know about multiplayer but Mordhau exists so not too sure. Later in development this game will definitely be worth it.

If you think about it in reference to other forms of entertainment, yes. Assuming you get 1000 hours out of the game, $40 for even 1000 hours is insane compared to the price of a movie. A movie ticket might be somewhere around $15-20 for 2 hours of entertainment, which is $7.50-10 an hour. $40 for 1000 hours of entertainment is $.04 per hour. I'd say that the price per hour is pretty dang good.

I play Total War so it's not unusual for me to get hundreds of hours out of a game however i do not think this game is the worth the price yet. It's 40% of where it needs to be. The world is Barron, no speech audio, not many quests. NPC AI is just non existant, character animations need significantly improved. Battles being the worst thing right now are over in 30 seconds to 1 minute, no tactics, no strategy. It's just a shell of a game at the moment from my perspective however that shell could cater to a game that is the most immersive and in depth in history with the right talent behind it

My formula, 1$ = 1 hour game play. If I play a 40$ game for at least 40 hours, the game is worth it. So the game seems definetaly worth it already, since most have played over 40 hours already.

To start off, I loved Warband. I have just under 800 hours on it and it is my second most played game of all time. I've been loosely following Bannerlord for a few years now, and I was pretty excited when I heard that it was coming out. Even tried to 100% Warband prior to that (which I quickly realized I couldn't do the week I gave myself haha).

So my question is: is this game worth the 40$ discounted price right now? At base price, it's 50$ for an early access game that, from reading reviews, still has a substantial way to go until it is close to being finished. I know that when DayZ was first released on early access it was only 20$, and now that it is in a full release it has been bumped up to a full 45$. That makes sense to me honestly. But Bannerlord is already starting at nearly a full-price AAA game, which does deter me, considering what I've heard about the state of the game. DayZ is my most played game with nearly 900 hours so I don't mind bugs and glitches galore. But I paid 20$ that game which helped me look past all the downsides of the game and made me not mind being a 'tester'. With Bannerlord, I'm not sure if I could do that after spending 40$ [50$] (I'm very stingy when it comes to money).

So given that, is Bannerlord worth essentially paying the price for a new AAA game?

[ Added a poll for those who don't feel like typing up a discussion and want to quickly answer :smile: ]
I first just voted in the poll, but after reading your post I realized you were looking for advice on whether YOU should buy the game.

My advice is: if you're worried about that, you should not. The game is in early development, which means many things don't work yet, and many things will be changed. For me, the game is EASILY worth its cost right now, but I'm ok with this situation because I like how this game works and know that it will work better in time.

No. But as far as I know there will be no additional costs, so the price being asked right now is for whatever product we get at full release. If you literally want a game right now that is fully worth a triple A price then I would say don't buy. Wait and see how the game is at full release or at least a lot further along in EA.

Back
Top Bottom