Will TW do a No Mans Sky thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

No Man's Sky has actually added all of the stuff it promised, and tons more of other expansive features. So it's not like they literally just gave what they were supposed and left, they did that and stuck around for dozens of other major free expansions and are still making even more.

So they finally delivered what they said they were going to. They did the bare minimum of what you would expect from a project. I get that some people just like to complain, but at the same time you shouldn't actively be praising a project that just does what it says in the tin. None of this would have been acceptable even 10 years ago.

Most of the discussion around NMS is more about human drama than the game. People like the idea of a smallish studio having a comeback story like a hollywood film. It's a wholesome cool story, but as far as the game itself is concerned none of that matters. It's the same with bannerlord. Even if they fix everything and add all the features they promised at the start, it'll still be a solid 7/10 and I'd still rather play something else.
So if Bannerlord in 2 years marched all your expectations, had plenty of features, fun to be had, you would still hate on it... Because?

Well, you can make your own stories in your head on what happened or what Hello Games were thinking, the truth is this: they sold a poor game, got devastated by the internet, and then made it up by actually providing what they promised and worked their asses off to deliver that. You can ignore all of that and still throw shade to this day, while they continue working on the game to make it better. If this isn't a case of blind hate, it's probably just your boredom making you jump to have any argument you can have. There is nothing substantial coming out of this conversation lmao bye.
What happened is: they sold a poor game (Bad), lied about how poor it was (BAD), took a long time to rectify it (bad) and eventually rectified it (good).

That many bad things being done does not deserve to be remembered as good overall. It just deserves to be forgotten, IMO, and if anyone brings it up they should rightfully **** on Hello Games for lying as well as give them credit for eventually fixing their lie.
Hold them accountable for their mistakes/lies/etc and if they actually stand up to change what they did, hold them to that too. It can only help reinforce that behavior if customers are willing to admit something's improved as easily as they are to admit something is bad/garbage/lie/etc.
I agree.

What happened is: they sold a poor game (Bad), lied about how poor it was (BAD), took a long time to rectify it (bad) and eventually rectified it (good).

That many bad things being done does not deserve to be remembered as good overall. It just deserves to be forgotten, IMO, and if anyone brings it up they should rightfully **** on Hello Games for lying as well as give them credit for eventually fixing their lie.

I agree.
Have you watched the video?

Murray had like no others choices then to hype the game once Sony stepped in and gave them "some" $$$. And the press also did their thing back then to even hype it more.

Alright, I´m also not saying that Hello Games is innocent and of course they delivered a broken, incomplete game, that´s fact. But you still can´t compare that situation to TW and Bannerlord. Hello Games was kind of "forced" to release the game even while knowing it´s crap. TW on the other hand is independend, at least they claimed this several times. So nobody is forcing TW to do what TW is doing. That´s a huge difference in my book.

Also, Hello Games made a ton of money with NMS, they could just have abandonded the game and have a happy life. Only time will tell what TW will do with Bannerlord after the release.

Last edited:
TW hasn't slid into this situation quite like the dev team of No Mans Sky did. They have two years of early access behind them now and a lot of community feedback which was well ignored in favor of the VISION™. What I mean is, that Bannerlord isn't an accident.

Also No Mans Sky was the way it was because of lack of time. You really, really can not say that about Bannerlord. :lol:

So if Bannerlord in 2 years marched all your expectations, had plenty of features, fun to be had, you would still hate on it... Because?

If bannerlord in 2 years is exactly what they promised in all the devlogs (i.e what people who paid for it were expecting), it would be a sort of mediocre game that I probably still wouldn't play, regardless of how much effort went into it,

My point is that the internet historian video and most of the online discussion about NMS focusses on how hard they worked and how cool it was that they made a comeback, rather than whether the game is actually good. If you remove all that drama in the middle, it's just a game that delivered on its own marketing, which used to be the bare minimum norm but is now supposed to be laudable.

Alright, I´m also not saying that Hello Games is innocent and of course they delivered a broken, incomplete game, that´s fact. But you still can´t compare that situation to TW and Bannerlord. Hello Games was kind of "forced" to release the game even while knowing it´s crap. TW on the other hand is independend, at least they claimed this several times. So nobody is forcing TW to do what TW is doing. That´s a huge difference in my book.
Yep.
Only time will tell what TW will do with Bannerlord after the release.
Well I don't doubt they will keep updating it. I do strongly doubt though that it will ever be fully functional and fully feature complete.

Also, Hello Games made a ton of money with NMS, they could just have abandonded the game and have a happy life. Only time will tell what TW will do with Bannerlord after the release.

This is basically it. As far as I understood it, once Sony stepped in, Hello Games was being forced to move things faster than they intended and jumping into decisions etc. They wanted that game out fast. Hello Games definitely released a broken, incomplete game, but as you said--there were many things working against them. Taleworlds/Bannerlord does not thave that. Only ten years of development with basically nothing really to show us. All community feedback ignored in favor of their own vision that the majority of players are not liking etc etc.

If Taleworlds doesn't abandon Bannerlord, which I doubt, and pull off a NMS and not just deliver on original plans or customer desire, but make a fun game like Hello Games did with NMS? Well then...congratulations to them. I'll look forward to it in the next decade I guess.

Of course, if you replaced the word "TW" with "Community." The key is always mods.

About TaleWorlds, aren't they already all in on developing a new sci-fi Turkish Cyperpunk game?

The Gekokujo mod did this, it used layered, semi-open defenses rather than a single wall, meaning you could manouevre inside the courtyard at any point during the siege. There were choke points but the combat would ebb and flow between the gate and the keep, since reinforcements would be pushing back and forth from both sides. These sieges were actually a lot of fun. I get that 16th century castles have a fundamentally different design to the average medieval european castle, but there has to be a better system than spending 10 minutes waiting for your men to push into a ladder or breach meatgrinder before you can do anything.

For Bannerlord to have this would require the AI to be intelligent enough to maximize the use of the topography and castle fortifications to maximize enemy casualties.

On the player side, they need complete control of their force to use these tactics.

Bannerlord will not be "bare minimum functioning but not ambitious" at launch, not at the current pace of progress. Considering we have 1 month to go, I fully expect half the issues with the many features they've tried to add to still be remaining.

It will have to wait for a patch after launch. That could take months after, depending on the issues.

This is what being in an abusive relationship looks like. You wait and hope for something to improve and it never really does. You have no agency although you try and this makes it even more frustrating. You just get old and bitter.
I suggest finding a new and more exciting abusive relationship. :grin:

This is what being in an abusive relationship looks like. You wait and hope for something to improve and it never really does. You have no agency although you try and this makes it even more frustrating. You just get old and bitter.
Really? Did not think you would sink that low, to compare a game to a real world issue that is many times worse. Low point score for you.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom