Why I hate Prophecy of Pendor

Users who are viewing this thread

Jec94227

Master Knight
SO I started playing this a bit in Mount and Blade, and saw a few months ago that it had been ported to Warband. So I figure I'll give it a try. And so, without further ado here's my reasons to hate it.

Vicky. I simply cannot go back a a different mod or Native, ever agin because of Vicky. She is a harsh ***** of a taskmaster, and appears every time I enter a battle in a different mod, she's there, demanding that I stop wasting my time with this inferior product and return to prophecy of Pendor. "What, no formations?"she asks as I play Native, "Why do you're troops simply charge ahead like mindless idiots?" as I play AD 1257.

The fief management system plays a role in this as well. I think to myself "Hey I think I'll just play around on Hundred Years War for a bit." So I boot it up, and manage to ignore Vicky's constant comparisons. Then her devious partner shows up when I try to manage a village or one of my castles. "Hey, wouldn't it be great if you could send out some prospectors? Or implement a standard health system so this village grows faster? No? I see, you'd rather build (sigh) a Manor, or a windmill, or a school who gives a single one time benifit for all that time you've put into building it up. That's cool I guess." Of course, I'm unable to resist these two devious entities, and I soon find myself back on Prophecy of Pendor.

Doesn't matter that I enjoy the history behind mods like Hundred Years war or Bretynwalda. Doesn't matter that I find Native to be actually enjoyable. Doesn't matter at all, becuse of you magnificent bastards who have created Prophecy of Pendor have gotten the claws of addiction sunk deep into my mind.

So in short, I'm not sure if I should thank you for creating an interesting and enjoyable mod for one of my favorite games, or hate you for ensuring that I'll play it and it alone as long as I'm playing Warband.

Hmm, I never play any mods but what you just wrote, it just made my mouse pointer click on the download link of this mod. I'll start playing in a bit, and no offense but I might start hating you :O

You know, there's a warning somewhere in this forum that says to play some others first for experience in playing the game.
It then also says that if you like other mods play them first, cause otherwise what you just said - will happen. ^___^

Ah Vicky, making nice shieldwalls for me to shoot up

I hate your post and here's why:
I finally started my own kingdom and got a halfway decent foothold. I just took Sarleon and wiped out the remaining Sarleon lords, ransomed Ulric, and now I'm doing very well in my own kingdom. As a result, I am very tired and its 12:12 AM....And now that your post has droned on and on about the awesomeness that is POP...I will probably sit here typing a random message to someone on the internet about it instead of sleeping. Curse your stupid post and moreso this amazing mod... .....</sarcasm>... Love this *&^%

I made the mistake of starting my last game with realistic saves, built up a sizable kingdom around Laria, then got gangbanged by Ravenstern attacking from the North, Fierdsvain attacking from the west, and D'Shar attacking from the south!

Time to start all over again without the realistic saves!  :evil:

That's the fun with realistic saves:smile:) i was once captured by renegade adventure company and lost some armor, then captured by bandits...lost my sword:smile:) Oh, what fun it was to chase them all around the map with my bare chest:grin: Pop has a lot of improvements to all things, even the Ai witch was stupid in Native is now a really organized army and every war is felt on your skin. There won't be a better mod than POP:X

Jec94227 said:
So in short, I'm not sure if I should thank you for creating an interesting and enjoyable mod for one of my favorite games, or hate you for ensuring that I'll play it and it alone as long as I'm playing Warband.

This has just become my favorite post ever. Well said, and thank you!

Just to join this suck up feast ...
The Pop is the only reason thats keep me playing Warband. I find other mods plain if compared to this one and yet there was time when SOD or EaRC were like gifts from heaven.
You are way ahead guys, way ahead....

Well.. It looks like a little thing, and uninfluencing too, but I can't do anything more than quote all said above: PoP massively strikes down Warband (wich is cool too, but not enought to survive :grin:) and bring's you to the dark side :twisted: (where there are also cookies[munch XD], not to mention killer VI :wink: and big bad knights XD)

Alavaria said:
You know, there's a warning somewhere in this forum that says to play some others first for experience in playing the game.
It then also says that if you like other mods play them first, cause otherwise what you just said - will happen. ^___^

Finally someone recalls and appreciates that piece of advice I usually give off to new forumites - once you play PoP you´re spoiled for most other mods.

i played brytenwalda and houndred years war before and greatly enjoyed both mods. when i read this thread i felt urged to have the prevalent opinion (that all other mods seem shallow compared to PoP) undergo an empirical test. so i started 100Y war and continued my old game. it was all nice, i cheerfully watched the elite of french knighthood dying in rains of english arrows, did a bit of raiding, chasing bandits, doing quests, training my troops, so just what i would do in PoP after joining a kingdom.
but time passing by it more and more felt not as "smooth" as does PoP. i didnt realise this before directly comparing it to other mods, but truly PoP is the most immersive, detailed and addictive version of warband i ever played :grin:

I just downloaded PoP about a week ago.  It's a very love/hate relationship.

I love the mod.  The story behind it is phenomenal.  The VI is a godsend.  I played Native for years and I regret not discovering PoP earlier.

The hate part: the damn VI slaughters me in many instances.  I must've started a new character at least 8 times before being able to actually keep an army.  It's ridiculous.  Early in the game, you stroll along with like 80 troops thinking, "Finally, I can participate in a campaign in a serious way."  And as if the gods have heard your thoughts, out of nowhere appears a giant Jatu army of 700 men, which would be avoidable were it not for the smaller, much faster Jatu patrol, which I am too slow to avoid because I'm carrying a load of cheap iron to sell elsewhere.  In Native, if you have 100 men and you're faced with 800, you can somehow pull it off.  There's at least a glimmer of hope.  Not with Vicky behind the wheel.

Whatever, I lost my army, I can just recruit them back.  Nope.  Because the whole map is crawling with forest bandits and deserters.  And I get captured like a dozen times before I somehow manage to avoid all the bloodthirsty bandits and recruit enough people to actually scare them off.

Despite all the hair pulling frustration, PoP is amazing and has me completely captivated.  Kudos to the dev team and the many semesters of students.  Can't wait for 4.0, although I should probably focus on beating 3.0

Vicky? Love the female-dog!

And to think I wandered into this thread with a club in my hand  :mrgreen:

Ya'll just made my day a bit nicer.

PoP 4tw.

All fear my legion of noldor! (Too bad I just restarted and don't have anything other than a bunch of recruits and militia yet -_- DAMN YOU OUTLAW KNIGHTS AND YOUR OWNAGE.)

Back
Top Bottom