Why do I keep getting my butt handed to me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Arachnomen

Recruit
I have played original mount and blade, and im also a proud owner of warband. I love the game but there is no need to explain how awesomesauce the game is since if you are reading this you are prob feeling the same way as I.

Well, lets get down to my problem. I have played several weapon "classes", all but the archer type. And I find that when you fight a group of thugs (looters, bandits, I have not made it further in the game without "cheats" in mount and blade vanilla) they often start firing away a bunch of arrows.
And sure I can sidestep most of the projectiles that they throw at me but unless I have a shield up I will end up being hit in the end, resulting in me getting knocked out.

And even if I reach them without having my body penetrated by spears and arrows they will go melee mode and pull out their swords and axes. And since the odds are often me vs 5-15 I quickly end up getting owned. Why? Since if I attack I might strike one but get several attacks thrown back to me at the same time. And if I block they will chop and chop till my shield drop and then end my life.

But I always bring troops with me, but im so eager to get into the fighting that I charge in on my steed leaving my soldiers behind since they are so slow. And I end up dead before my troops even reach the enemy. First I thought this was the root to my problem, that im to weak to fight the enemy alone so I jumped off my horse and charged with my men towards ours foes. But as soon as I get cut off from my men I end up being the victim of another gangbang and die once again.

So, Ill add morewhen I can, but what do You guys think my problem is. Is it my lack of armor, lack of skill or is the game supposed to be like this? I have read several threads with people saying how much they have conquered and how many they slay but I cant get by the point of having a bunch of low ranked peasents with me jumping small bandit bands. I have started several characters all over again to try a new angle and a new set of stats but nothing helps. It is like an invisible wall between the point I reach and the rest of the game. And whenever things start to go my way a band of heavy armoed riding deserters come charging in slaying and butchering all of my men and taking me prisoner. And I often find myself ragequiting after I get tossed back to square one after I get defeated like that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, cheers. :smile:

The game is hard in the beginning, lack of armor, lack of skillpoints. You've got the right idea sticking with your men. If you find yourself too squishy, maybe you should hang back, let your men go in first, and then you do the flanking. I know we always want to charge in first, but until you get beefier, it's better to let others take the forefront. After all, if they get knocked out, it isn't game over.

Also, in the early game, consider visiting the arena for some "melee fights." They're a free no-consequence way to build your weapon skills, which make you hit harder and faster.

tactics.

line your men up, then wait with them while the opposing men charge at you. just when they're near, tell them to charge, and that way you'll have your men close to each other. if you want to stay alive, but get some of the action, let your men weaken the opposition, then clean up the rest.

Warband is definitely a tougher start for infantry. Not that M&B was easy, but it's slim pickings now. Can't find any starter mobs to beat on, spending time in area battles, tourneys, and training area.

To take on a small mob in melee, just backpedal and block > hit. You'll kill them all as long as you have room. If you're athletics is high enough you can out run most of them and kite them into a long sting. Makes it easier to block then.

If it's being ganged up on that's your problem, I have one word - backpedal.

If there's 5 AI infantry attacking you, just walk backwards. Only the one in the front will then be able to fight, the others will be out of range or have their attacks interrupted by the friendly unit inbetween you and them.

So you can effectively fight an unlimited number of them one by one.

Okay allright, I got a good helmet so I dont think the source of my problem is because I lack head protection since most of the problems that head my way are in forms of sharp/blunt objects pounding all over my body. A helmet wont do me any good if I got a sword jabbed in between my ribs :smile:

I have also tried arena from time to time, but whenever the NPC's decide to take me on as a group I get defeated. (Why oh why wont they attack each other if they stand next to each other but instead run across the arena just to smack me over the head together :S)

I will try to give backpeddeling another try but whenever I try it I can not outwalk em. Mostly because I just put maybe 1 or 2 points in athletics, but also because I start backpeddeling to late. I fight normaly aslong as it all goes well but when my enemies focus their eyes and swordedges towards me it is to late to move away since im often right there where the action is, surrounded by a bunch of badboys. And my shield says that it is made of leather/wood or whatever starter shields are made of, but from time to time it feels like it shatters like a piece of paper whenever someone throws a punch at it.

Sure I could try to grab a bunch of boys on mounts and ride into battle but to get to that point I need money or soldiers with enough experience. But I need to get to that point in order to do so..  And I would like to try different weapons and different playstyles and not be locked in and having my survival depending on if im on a horseback or not. :razz:

Early on, as stated above, especially now in Warband with some "improved" combat physics and mechanics, it is VERY easy to get pwned.

Tactics are very important: order you mens to follow you, find a hill or some "top" spot, preferably near your starting spawn, especially in big battle involving reinforcments (both your and enemy) to "save" time by letting your troops be faster on the action, and enemy have a long walk to do to reach the "frontline", then tell your archer to hold that position, move 10-20m ahead and tell your infantry to hold position too. When the enemy is getting close, order your infantry (then cav) to charge: the enemy is already somewhat scattered and your troops in order, it easier their task and avoid massive loss for you. It requires a bit training to memorize the command orders, but once you master them, you will be ready to fight other lords army (you will notice that sometime, they advance cautiously, do the same)

You can also lure the enemy troops on you on one of their flank, then circling around them, while your infantry is charching. It does miracles, especially later on.

Your worst enemies early on are sea raiders (toughest bandits), archers, and mounted bandits (especially those with lances)

Early game, avoid bandits that are mounted (those who move very fast on the map, and tend to charge you at the first opportunity) and avoid Vaegir, Sarranid and Kerghit land, since their is a lot of bandits in this area. Your best picks are looter and forest bandits, in small numbers (8-10 max when your party is still very small with recruit troops (of any kingdom). DO NOT CHARGE unless the enemy is already weaken up by your archers, you will often get stuck and easily dismounted.

Practise yourself in arenas and tournaments (tournaments tend to be easier due to teams, but again, dont underestimate your foes).

Invest in a good shield and good boots. Helmet is useful merely on siegebattles and when fighting mounted troops (and archers) while being on foot, because foot troops (when you're mounted) targeting you will strike your body and leg and cant reach your head unless long reach weapons (again, watch out of those sea raiders). Dont neglect your armor, but beware, under around 30 in any armor area, you are very vulnerable to "cutting" attacks (most common attacks).

Edit: as for arena AI ganging vs you, i noticed that when you are low health they tend to focus you more often. And sometimes it is wise to keep away from 3-4 foes, waiting them to fight each other, then charge them from an appropriate angle of approach.

Queen Pinky said:
Play as cav. Just circle them and pick a few off once in a while

+1

...and watch some youtube videos, that could help you to get the overall feeling about how to kill without getting killed :smile:

What difficulty settings are you playing on? I play on normal everything except for the AI, which is super aggressive and super accurate with the arrows on anything other than easy (IMO).

Anyways, another thing I would like to point on in terms of avoiding arrows, is use the terrain.  If I am approaching a group of archers, I usually take the long way that involves going behind a bunch of hills.  I just park my archers with infantry support on another hill, and have my cav follow me around to their flank.  Usually, their archers are too busy shooting at my archers, and I just charge in and pwn with the lance. Send in the infantry to mop up.  Standard maneuver.

If you are running as infantry, like nord or something. It's basically the same thing, except I have everybody follow me, then when we get in a decent range, have my infantry charge in while archers stay behind. (I still usually have my hero companions run around as light cav though).  If you are on foot, just charge in amidst or behind your troops.

Also, in general, use your troops as meat shields.  If the enemy is attacking them, they arent attacking you!

Arachnomen said:
Sure I could try to grab a bunch of boys on mounts and ride into battle but to get to that point I need money or soldiers with enough experience. But I need to get to that point in order to do so..  And I would like to try different weapons and different playstyles and not be locked in and having my survival depending on if im on a horseback or not. :razz:
You normally start with a horse and with this tactic you need no troops. Once you've got a bit of experience and wealth from loot then you can start playing as inf.

Your horse is your biggest asset at the beginning.  Use it's manueverability.

Do not fight Khergits at the beginning.  You will get owned regardless of tactics.  Start off with Forest Bandits and Looters.  A win tournaments.

Be careul that your infantry doesn't mask the fire or your archers.  Best is to place archers at very top, and infantry at very bottom.  Swing around the back with you and your cavalry.

The Infantry is the anvil, you are the hammer. :smile:

Darkday said:
If you are running as infantry, like nord or something. It's basically the same thing, except I have everybody follow me, then when we get in a decent range, have my infantry charge in while archers stay behind.

Nord veterans and huskarls are beast to counter charge any other infantry: tell them to hold the position you want until enemy is very close, they will throw a lot of VERY powerful axes and other projectiles at them, making the pounding very quick and brutal. Most dangerous foes for Nords are the Swadian and Rodock crossbowmen, but, as stated above, use terrain to cover your approach if you lack the cavalery to pound their ranged troops.

Cavalery is your worst enemy early on (even maybe more than the sea raiders that you can avoid by not getting in the area of Rivacheg) and even later on if you havent enough cavalery or higher tier infantry to smash their horses.

Your companions are also very vulnerable too, dont forget to improve their armor as soon as you can.

When goign infantry I try to start with athletics at least 3, preferably 4, and keep my encumbrance below 20, preferably 15. Not sure how they were tweaked in Warband yet, but worked great in M&B. Usually this means no shield, and using a  two-hander or polearm for the reach. Glaives are much more awesome than they look on paper, the new hafted blades are mighty nice as well.

There's a novel remedy to getting ganged up on foot in Warband: Make a new group and keep it on follow and you've got a personal guard. My aptly named Sarranid guards have saved me countless times.

well from what i've learned till now ...ur horse is your beast weapon...
there are 2 tactics u can appraoch...
1. Be the tank and break theyr necks(heavy armour mounted and steel shield+ a nice sword)
You have to invest ur upgrade points in personal abilityes such as :power strike/ironflesh/riding/shield and athlethics
2.Be a good commander and paciently wait untill ur men finish off the opponents.
You dont get to much action but you can live to fight more battles instead of getting captured or knocked out.
You have to invest in your medical skills(most important surgery(every point u get a 4% chance that a mortaly strucked soldier wont die and it will get unconcious) and ur leadership skills(less wages more party space).
Indeed in warband is a lil bit harder to start but its not that hard...i also like to force peasents to give me supplyes wich i sell i nearby towns.U dont get in war with the other factions.
3.Be a merchant...trade trade and dont forget trade.
U need Trade skills and Pathfinding(so u can run as fast as you can).Its harder to get to be a hotshot between lords but you will have the money to support a small but experienced party.You will be kind of a caravan (40-50 party members) but again u will have the money to support them.

From what ive seen you like to crush skulls but i have to disapoint you...u cant do it from the 1st gameplay day :wink:

I find a good way to start is this:

As the sole member of your party, do a couple of easy quests and get some gold. Do some light trading up to about 2000 gold, shouldn't take too long at all and you will be faster then any bandit or deserter parties. Hire about 20 recruits from villages and start beating down on small groups of bandits. I find it works well if you use a big two hander and back slash while they are tied up with your soldiers. From there, the world is your oyster. Keep trading, get some companions, become a vassal for a lord and eventually break away and form your own kingdom when the time is right.

Also, don't get any party intelligence skills yourself, hire companions for that. Get Jeremus, Borcha and Marnnid. They all get along and have large intelligence stats but low levels, so they can improve quickly.

Back
Top Bottom