Why are Simulated Sieges SO different than the actual siege ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Case in point -

I'm helping defend a lvl 2 castle - 100+ garrison+militia, and my 200 troops. Monchug turns up with an army of about 1,000+. He sieges me. If i fight the battle, Monchug easy destroys the 300 defenders, with the lose of about 400+ If I let the troops fight the siege (sim), I win with about 50 - 70 troops standing.

These 2 results are MASSIVELY different.

Has the fix of ladders & towers widened the gap between Actual siege and Sim siege ?

I noticed in the actual battle, the attackers quickly took the walls while my HI held the gate house. Then the arrows came down onto my HI, finally a large enemy HI force hit my HI in the flanks, which they had difficulty facing up to - only 1 or 2 soldiers would face the flankers, the rest looking at the broken gate. ???

Is this a bug ? or is it known situation ?

Devs reworked par example the ladders in the sieges for 1.7, but sieges are still more or less rudimentary, surely away from being 'finished'.
Even normal battles are still reworked from time to time. That bannerlord is early access is really exactly what it means. Ten years ago it would be called beta version to test for functionality.
So it seems devs managed something for the sim-siege-battles as ''function'' so you are at least able to sim those battles. I don't think it is a bug it is momentary not developed in a playable way, only in a functional.

The sim gives them an advantage based on the walls and what siege gear is there and uses it's system to square the troops off again each other. In the live siege troops have to actually perform and kill the enemies and the defender is not really favored. For instance there will likely be many more ranged units deployed on the attackers side the are in position on the walls, so the defender ranged gets out gunned easily and then trickles in to replace only to get shot down too. Although they have improved the behavior of infantry defenders on t the walls, they still don't really make a choke point or fight in way that takes advantage, so they still basically trade away until their is enough gape for attacker to get in.

TLDR they have a lot of ****ing work to do on balancing live combat and AI performance and especially defender behavior.

The sim gives them an advantage based on the walls and what siege gear is there and uses it's system to square the troops off again each other. In the live siege troops have to actually perform and kill the enemies and the defender is not really favored. For instance there will likely be many more ranged units deployed on the attackers side the are in position on the walls, so the defender ranged gets out gunned easily and then trickles in to replace only to get shot down too. Although they have improved the behavior of infantry defenders on t the walls, they still don't really make a choke point or fight in way that takes advantage, so they still basically trade away until their is enough gape for attacker to get in.

TLDR they have a lot of ****ing work to do on balancing live combat and AI performance and especially defender behavior.
You have a good point on defenders, however, I will say that from my own playstyle of loading tons of archers, that usually isn't a problem

However, the gate usually is swarmed by soldiers in order to be ready for incoming soldiers

I have seen some issues still with archers manning the walls. Not sure if they are always at the correct posts or daunting in areas that aren't the best for them

I remember one issue, although this may have been for the update before this last one, where archers weren't responding to attackers breaching the gate and heading to the inner gate. There's an opening in the ceiling where archers can shoot, and at first they all showed up, but in proceeding times, it varied on if they showed up or how many would.

There are some automated defense issues perhaps with responses to enemy troops and positioning, as well as firing on enemies

There are times catapults actually fire pretty continuously, and then there are times where yours don't seem like they fire all that much, but the enemies are churning out round after round

Overall, yeah, your not alone poster. There are a few problems still

But the siege ladder solution has definitely saved things a lot

Case in point -

I'm helping defend a lvl 2 castle - 100+ garrison+militia, and my 200 troops. Monchug turns up with an army of about 1,000+. He sieges me. If i fight the battle, Monchug easy destroys the 300 defenders, with the lose of about 400+ If I let the troops fight the siege (sim), I win with about 50 - 70 troops standing.

These 2 results are MASSIVELY different.

Has the fix of ladders & towers widened the gap between Actual siege and Sim siege ?

I noticed in the actual battle, the attackers quickly took the walls while my HI held the gate house. Then the arrows came down onto my HI, finally a large enemy HI force hit my HI in the flanks, which they had difficulty facing up to - only 1 or 2 soldiers would face the flankers, the rest looking at the broken gate. ???

Is this a bug ? or is it known situation ?

I'd recommend for you watch for the incoming siege towers, use a bow to pick off troops incoming, preferably the shorter bow that can be used while riding a horse as aim is better for now, I think (ran into issues during custom battle for some reason) and use a two handed Sword for better damage

I think youll find that the two handed Sword will allow you to more easily chop down attackers, thinning out numbers while enemies try to get on the walls, and you can use your arrows to look directly down ladders and shoot enemies in the head. It drastically changes the course of the battle.

Also, you can use your two handed Sword to do good amounts of damage to the siege towers. You can destroy them with enough damage. Just make sure your not on them when you do the final blow, which is where arrows can come in handy

Once done with a siege tower life becomes easier and you can focus on the second and not get swarmed

in order to stop "khuzaid snowball" they made their siege sim super weak where they literally need 2x the men to successfully siege a town compared to winning a field battle.

All I know is simulated battles always always turn out WAY worse for me than if I play the battle out. I can take 200 men to battle a dozen bandits and have zero casualties every time, but if I do the auto battle, I will lose a few men.

I've been told certain stats and perks affect the simulation outcome but I find myself taking the actual battle even if it's trivial, just to avoid needless casualties.

Spot on. Since making the AI genuinely smart defenders is probably going to be too difficult for Taleworlds to implement in a timely manner, I think the easiest solution is to nerf siege ladders.

Either make it possible to destroy ladders, or make attackers have to carry ladders into position before they can be climbed, or make melee AI worse at fighting when on a ladder, or make it quicker to push down ladders.

Any combo of these realistic changes would help give defenders more of an advantage similar to what they get in simulated battle.

The developers should just garner as much anecdotal information of Siege outcomes as possible and then apply that to the Auto Calc in some form. Outcomes should feel at least similar if not outright exact

At the current time, I'm quite fond of picking off enemy siegers from the outside. I'll slide my army up nice 'n cozy near the siege lines, wait for escalade to start, which is announced by the enemy's strength declining continuously. I monitor the defender strength every few seconds and attack the siegers when the defenders are down to 100 or so. They will have caused about 3-5 times as many casualties as they have taken, so the enemy army is drained of a lot of manpower and much easier to defeat in a field battle - especially because if I interrupt a siege, the game makes me a defender in the field battle.

Of course, the folks inside are yelling at me, "WHERE WERE YOU WHEN WE NEEDED YOU??"
And I'm yelling back," BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!!"

Back
Top Bottom