Who uses manual directional block?

How do you block when there is no shield?

• I have directional blocking on

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I'm cheesy, I have auto block

Votes: 78 65.0%
  • You never see me without a shield. I don't fight in the arena.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • What? never go with Melee. I don't fight in the arena.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

kazuma

Squire
I'm just wonder who uses the directional block feature? 

I'm wondering how you fare
I block about 95% right/left swings.  While only 25% up/down swings, mostly because I'm still blocking right/left.  My problem, is that before I attempt blocking up/down attacks, my cursor is busy somewhere else. and thus not aiming at my foe.  So, I end up adjusting right/left before I block, so what happens is that I block left/right and not up/down.  Does anyone else have this problem? 

I use directional blocking (more fun than auto block) but don't have a problem with it.
To block from above tilt the mouse upwards, for blocking thrusts tilt it downwards and to block left or right swings tilt the mouse either left or right.
All it requires is a slight movement to set up the block.
It feels more interactive than using auto block.

Nightblade+-- said:
I use directional blocking (more fun than auto block) but don't have a problem with it.
To block from above tilt the mouse upwards, for blocking thrusts tilt it downwards and to block left or right swings tilt the mouse either left or right.

I know that.  My problem is... in the heat of battle, I often tilt "left-up" or "right-up" instead of "up."  A tilt up at 1 O-clock angle, for example, seems to make me block right instead of up.  It's hard to make a perfect "up" each time when in the heat of battle. 

I'd be happy if 2 O-clock and 10 O-clock was sufficient for an "up" block.

Like Demonic Spoon says, stabs are the worst for me too.  But I know they are faster too.  Still yet, it seems as though I have to be overly precise to block up or down. 

Years back when I started playing I started with directional blocking, then after some time probably from FPS's issues and that blocking felt cheesy (and I had my old clumsy roll mouse) I switched to auto blocking and was happy with it. Lately though, I got encouraged go back to directional blocking.

When there was that skill ego fest made by Whoopin, Merenthas example encouraged me to switch back to directional blocking since he said he saw nothing special in Whoopin videos since they have been made by using auto blocking and Mer personally don't even place himself into silly situations like that where you encounter enemy horde because he uses directional blocking. That impressed me and I though "Heck, if Mer can do that, I can too."

And indeed I could, it was time to go back to roots. It took some time to train with zendar trainer to get back the old feeling and I also noticed that now directional blocking felt much more smoother, maybe it was because game performance had improved, close combat improvements or just that I had now new optic mouse which can react faster and more accurate.

Now that I have been playing some time with directional blocking I have no problem with it anymore, it becomes natural way to block. I use now only character who uses 2-handers since I am still both practicing and also want challenge myself.

Tactic thinking helps too, it is important know how to block, but if you put yourself in situation where you have to block much, you have already done something wrong and are in disadvantage in fight. It's important to take initiate in battle, 2-handers strength lies in offense so defensive style isn't optimal one to those.

Now directional blocking feels natural and also only real way to play to me, I couldn't get back to auto-blocking (unless there comes some changes in combat or there is some bad FPS issue). Since AI 2-handers too has sometimes problems with blocking, screwing yourself with directions occasionally just seems to make things even. I want to challenge myself and hard fight feels much more satisfying than easy one.

Here is little bait to powergamers: I have no problem with automatic blocking and it is good way to enjoy game and combat, but if you take pride of your skill and also let others hear it loudly, then automatic blocking is same as = MMORPG button smashing combat, blocks everything, no real skillz

Another incentive: If there is ever going to be multiplayer in future M&B releases, then those who don't know how block are either going to be shield men or dead men.

(of course it's bit too early to speculate, latency issues might make real time blocking impossible, but on the other hand you should aim to play in local servers where you have good ping, that's how reflex based combat works in other games)

kazuma said:
Nightblade+-- said:

I know that.  My problem is... in the heat of battle, I often tilt "left-up" or "right-up" instead of "up."  A tilt up at 1 O-clock angle, for example, seems to make me block right instead of up.  It's hard to make a perfect "up" each time when in the heat of battle. 

I'd be happy if 2 O-clock and 10 O-clock was sufficient for an "up" block.

Like Demonic Spoon says, stabs are the worst for me too.  But I know they are faster too.  Still yet, it seems as though I have to be overly precise to block up or down. 

Yea stabs are hardest. It's important to keep your head cold in battle, if enemy gets hit through that usually messes up your defense for a while, it's vital to recover fast.

Dry run/shadow practicing might help, bit like in real martial combat practices, you have to train move (blocks in this case) so they are part of you and become automatically when needed, there is no time to think in middle of fight.

+ that tactical positioning in fight, not letting yourself to go in unfavorable situation.

I use manual blocking because I'm hardcore. So much so that I should probably have wrote it with numbers.

Yes, I'm cheesy and use auto-block. :razz:

But, the reason I use it is, not for being a wiener who can't fight, but for the simple reason that, although I've got my attack set to reverse vertical axis, I can't do this for block.

So when I block up, I block down, and when I block down, I block up,
And when I block to the middle, I block neither here nor there.
(sorry see chorus to 'The Grand Old Duke of York'  :razz:)

(as you can see, some mental anguish is a result.)  :wink:

Why can't we fix this so that what's good for attack, is good for defense.

I use auto-block normally, but today is a new day - is it time for me to enter the realm of being stabbed to death?

I'm still on auto, but then I've only been playing a few days  :smile:

I'm also still adjusting my mouse and key settings (I found WASD unusable, so have WAZD now - but then I never slow down or go backwards, and I had to move the "Quest" button to K as I got fed up with advancing on an enemy to take a swing then finding myself in the Quest screen  :mrgreen:)

My problem with the mouse is the directional sensitivity - too high and I'm always overshooting the direction and having to correct whilst the other guy's killing me, too low and I never get there in time. I'd like to be able to have different settings for archery and hand weappons, but that's asking a bit much, I know  :mrgreen:

So for now it's auto-direct.

I can't play without manual blocking, and pretty much agree with everything Theo has said. It's the only thing that makes individual combat challenging anymore.

Manual blocking is especially rewarding when you can successfully block a couched
lance attack!

Oh and auto-blocking isn’t being a cheesy noob…You all who use auto-block are just fashionably indifferent!  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom