Where is Sweden?

Users who are viewing this thread

JasonCDT1

Recruit
Hey guys, I was a little disappointed to find Sweden wasn't included in a viking DLC, I have seen plenty of Swedish vikings walking about but have not been able to recruit them (only Norwegians) I thought this would of been discussed already but couldn't find any threads about it.

There is also a pretty small area to raid/conquer if you're playing as the anglo-saxons, am I missing something? Are the history nerds going to tell me swedes were not actually vikings? Or is it just a matter of developers saving time.

Why not just use this whole map area?

nklkw0g

Edit: Image didn't work so here's the imgur ID /nklkw0g

I see, but the DLC is called "Viking conquest" not "western conquest". Personally I would rather sacrifice a small amount of historical accuracy and have another Scandinavian faction.

Yes but ur missing the point, Sweden didnt go england or lower europe. Sure there might have been some raids of some kind but the norwegians are mor famous for going to england not the swedes. This game is basicly about england and the vikings who tried to take it, sweden was not parto of this conquest and by that time sweden was not a country it was divided to clans. While Norway was more unified and stronger.

swedes were notably for going to Finland, the Baltic countries, Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, the Black Sea and even as far as Baghdad. And they were a big part of the varangian guard aswell

There are Swedish vikings in the game (Svears), and Swedish vikings did raid Britain, but I don't think that Sweden (as a nation) had anything to do with Britain.

Finland should definitely be added as well, and make all finns run around without shirts wielding birch logs as clubs :grin:

masterborn12 said:
well depends , the swedes didnt go west , they went east to russia. Norwegians however went west instead of east.

Check out this paper I found and posted in the Brytenwalda forums a long time ago.  It discusses historical presence of Swedish vikings in England.  As mentioned, they were there but were not a large contingent compared to Norweigan and Danish vikings.  Swedes tended to go East but they were also drawn to the riches of the British Isles. 

I too would like to see some Swedish territory...perhaps just a small kingdom with one town and a few villages/castles like Frisia.  Something representing the enclave of Geatland.  God knows there is enough empty space in Denmark and Norway on the map to accomodate Sweden/Geatland.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,187784.msg4495262.html#msg4495262

HugoBernie said:
How can i recruit these Swedes though?

Only the Northmagr ones join me not the Danes/Swedes!

You can find Svear warriors in Inns sometimes, you can hire them like other mercenaries, and they are later tier I think so you need 150 renown.

I was disappointed to see that there weren't any Rhodoks, Sarranids, Swadians, or Khergits in the game.  Not to mention the complete lack of horned Viking helmets.

masterborn12 said:
Yes but ur missing the point, Sweden didnt go england or lower europe. Sure there might have been some raids of some kind but the norwegians are mor famous for going to england not the swedes. This game is basicly about england and the vikings who tried to take it, sweden was not parto of this conquest and by that time sweden was not a country it was divided to clans. While Norway was more unified and stronger.

swedes were notably for going to Finland, the Baltic countries, Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, the Black Sea and even as far as Baghdad. And they were a big part of the varangian guard aswell
Depends on the definition of Sweden. Yes, the Svealand, would mostly go east, for geographic reasons. However! Since Sweden was not united (neither was Norway, it was in the process of Tanglehairs conquest) Geatland, with Westrogothia would have been in a good position to go to England.
If I recall my Tale of Ragnar and his sons correctly, Sigurds Denmark was Själland (Denmark wasn't united either as they didn't have Jutland) and Scania + Bohuslän/Viken. This means that all surrounding westrogothia would have been applicable to already existing nations in the game and thus the map would look a lot sexier. + I could make my lair of Gautarborgur in the Westrogothian sea corridor!!

Personally I'm quite disappointed at the lack of Scandinavian countries when the Isle of Man was included. Then I could complain about how little the Isle of Man was included and that it itself held it's own viking colony under the rule of Magnus Barefoot and the rest of his line until midway through the 14th century. However I attribute that to the fact that the Isle of man wasn't settled properly until the 11th Century and that this game is set in the 10th.

Would've been nice to see more of Scandinavia and less of Britain.

CeltiberoCaesar said:
Hi mates,

I just want to remind you all that that the DLC is about viking conquest of Britain. So... no Swedish since they didn't do it, lot of Britain since is the conquest land...etc
  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Exatly what i thought

CeltiberoCaesar said:
Hi mates,

I just want to remind you all that that the DLC is about viking conquest of Britain. So... no Swedish since they didn't do it, lot of Britain since is the conquest land...etc
  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That's taking it to the extreme. More like they didn't do it as often as Danes, but it wasn't like it never ever happened

Back
Top Bottom