Where are all the banners?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maybe banners are only for Lords/Members of a faction? And in this case the player has not joined one yet? or was it said he/she was part of a faction and has heraldry ( as in warband you had to earn your heraldry )

Piconi said:
So you think graphics are not downgraded, its just people playing on ultra low to have a smooth game because its still unoptimized, and to have an edge in battles?
By people i mean those who uploade videos we ve seen so far?
What settings do you play on?

No I don't think there was a downgrade. I took those screenshots on max settings. Naturally each map will look more or less good than another, and lighting does half the job.

R4MPZY said:
Maybe banners are only for Lords/Members of a faction? And in this case the player has not joined one yet? or was it said he/she was part of a faction and has heraldry ( as in warband you had to earn your heraldry )

The sample characters from this year's gamescom are all nobles with their own heraldic device in service to one of the factions, so that isn't it. 

Let me speculate here:
maybe they thought people wouldn't like the banners waving around and clipping? I have no idea.
I'm looking for it now, but was there more battles than the siege? Maybe banners aren't (yet) present at sieges, and only on field battles...

I'll try to catch up with some videos now, excuse me.

monoolho said:
Let me speculate here:
maybe they thought people wouldn't like the banners waving around and clipping? I have no idea.
I'm looking for it now, but was there more battles than the siege? Maybe banners aren't (yet) present at sieges, and only on field battles...

I'll try to catch up with some videos now, excuse me.
And not think we also wouldnt like shield/javelins/spear all clipping at the same time on players back? Maybe they should fix that first, then decide about banners  :grin:

RoboSenshi said:
I was fine with floating banners tbh. When did they have banners in their hands btw? I don't remember that.

Piconi said:
In the hands or not, it looked reaaaly good back then !

9pq6Mqv.png
The difference is so clear in this picture. It looks so awful without banners.

NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL said:
RoboSenshi said:
The issue with that is that it was already done a year ago. Done and working fine as we saw in the sergeant battle videos. Why is the game regressing after a year. Shouldn't it be moving forward and not backwards? One would think it would be more optimized after a whole year, not less.

When I'm working on my game sometimes I have to break some code and rebuild it to make it work better. I try to keep most things functional at all times but if you were to pick a random point in time and check it then, chances are a lot of stuff which previously worked would be absent. Now imagine a whole team has to do stuff like that and I can see there being very few instances where even the majority of things work during development.
Well I guess that's fair. It's just frustrating is all to see something great before and see it gone when the project is advancing.

Al-Mansūr said:
RoboSenshi said:
I was fine with floating banners tbh. When did they have banners in their hands btw? I don't remember that.

Piconi said:
In the hands or not, it looked reaaaly good back then !

9pq6Mqv.png
The difference is so clear in this picture. It looks so awful without banners.

Right, but it's not only due to the removal of banners. The graphical downgrade is obvious in the footages we got this week, especially in comparison to these 2017 videos. The colors hurt the eyes.
I actually don't think it's a downgrade. I feel it's computer specs tbh. I imagine they use a beast of a system to record trailers.

DanAngleland said:
Didn't they improve upon that at one point though, and have them carried in the hand? Or am I imagining it?
That's been mentioned in the thread before but I just can't remember it. Does anyone have a pic or something as proof?

Count Delinard said:
True, games are not a straightforward build that gets better and better but rather a mishmash of different components that may or may not be active at all times.

However, one would think that they'd try and get all graphical systems up and running for the Gamescom build. I'm certain these things like banners are still there somewhere, just not active for Gamescom.

As for the lightning, curiously it looked much better in the closed beta last week than it does on Gamescom's videos.
Are there any cloth physics of any kind in the beta? Like on Spears or walls?

The banner thing is driving me mad, I am almost positive we were at some point cheering the fact the banners on back are gone and the soldiers hold them now :???:

EDIT: Found the bastard, DevBlog 18/10/18, banner in one hand, couched lance (spear?) in the other
blog_post_62_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg

RoboSenshi said:

Disabled at the moment, which might explain the lack of banners in the footage, however it's still in the options which means it's most likely temporary.

VtdbyXQ.jpg

I guess that means they're working on it then. Would be nice to get some clarification from the devs cause I sincerely hope it wasn't scrapped.

Do not look here said:
The banner thing is driving me mad, I am almost positive we were at some point cheering the fact the banners on back are gone and the soldiers hold them now :???:

EDIT: Found the bastard, DevBlog 18/10/18, banner in one hand, couched lance (spear?) in the other
blog_post_62_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg
Well I'll be dammed. So they did fix it. It looks fantastic! But let's be honest, what are the odds they just removed em. They know it would be a big hit to the community. I'm sure it's just being worked on....again.

Gab-AG. said:
RoboSenshi said:

Disabled at the moment, which might explain the lack of banners in the footage, however it's still in the options which means it's most likely temporary.

This is the most likely explanation, I’m confident they’ll be back once cloth physics are activated. I’ve been testing the game since early June and it looked way different than it does today. They have been gradually  introducing more and more graphical systems so I guess it’s just a matter of time.

Just look at the difference between this picture I took on June 12th

Iy0dN.jpg
vs this picture I took today

wM_Ml.jpg

Notice the difference in UI between that early picture and the skirmish videos you've been seeing lately.

Another thing I noticed today was that horse manes (seen working in Gamescom) are also now working on the beta, up until last week manes were a texture stuck to the horse's neck, so they are indeed slowly adding more and more graphical systems on to the build and gathering our data for performance.

Banners seem to be disabled alongside all cloth physics in latest builds, aside from horse manes and map screen banners that might not even have actual physics and use complex animations instead. I'm more concerned about simplification of faction banner art, an uncalled for change that resulted in armies looking incredibly bland.

That's probably just a preset animation as well. Bear in mind I'm in China right now and can't see any of the videos, but from what I know about practically every video game I've seen which has a trebuchet in it, they just animate it the same way every time and don't use any physics-based movement.

Back
Top Bottom