What's up with bow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi there, forgive me for my english,

What's up with bow in this mod? Every walkthrough, let's play, gameplay that I watch on youtube are main character using bow to play. It's hard to find gameplay that use melee. I mostly used melee but does melee not viable in this mod? Bow are really that OP?

I just started playing this mods around a week or so after tired with native. I mostly died by arrow/bolt/spear or axe to the face or super OP lance that 1 hit KO. Actually, I always died in every hard battle at the beginning just because I tried to melee. I just want to know why everyone is using bow. I may start again if bow is the only way to beat this mod since currently my character are built for melee with 0 PD and it's too damn hard even with crossbow.

p.s I really hate the tournament because they always give me bow

Forgive me because I'm still a noobie.

Yes, top-tier archers are OP in this mod. You do not need a bow yourself however. I personally stopped using bows on the field a long time ago (for the extra challenge) and still remain a god in the battlefield. In sieges however I still take one with me to pick out enemy archers who threaten my troops.

Horse archery is the most OP build in game.

BUT it is definitely not the only way to beat this mod.

I havent played horse archers in a long while since it gets boring pretty quickly if you just stick to the same playstyle every time. Just keep a crossbow in the inventory for sieges. Melee characters are perfectly viable.

Nah, PoP is not that hard at all once you get the hang of it, and you can beat the sh1t out of it in all sorts of gear. It doesn't matter much what kind of build you play, and to prove my word, I'll link you a couple of playthroughs which are not focused on archery (not all playthroughs are finished due to lack of time and interest):

1) Mordred Viking: foot infantry with 2h swords, who uses crossbows. His party must dismount as well!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_1N_rYnoJY&list=PLT7S0pMdzhiQRdzoyxhkCscH2RQhA1BGu

2) ReformistTM:
a) Mounted, 1h weapons+shields and throwing weapons only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1uJ4b2M7cY&list=PL_7RJE1LgNVJrikJcNQrP3M2cVo6pN0pu
b) Mounted, selection of melee weapons on open-field, crossbows in sieges (planned)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jo_6B6l28s&list=PL_7RJE1LgNVJtUdxXupsSsSlqAZoxqqI0

3) zykox: berserker build (on foot), who fights almost completely naked, Weapons: 2h swords + throwing weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kND68jvq8iY&list=PLRuwkmCdO7CsQ9eDZvcRCR6O-iR1o5klB

4) Aldra Hill: Mounted, 1h+2h swords +shield. Same in sieges, or with crossbows sometimes. Hilariously enough, he often carries a bag of arrows in the 4th weapon slot, but I couldn't find him ever use a bow :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKrCCzwkj64&list=PLtKsA6L43Q-E9qysj5183edwJwmz79PVV

All-in-all, don't bother with archery being OP as f*ck in Pendor. Just play the way you feel like at any time! Since M&B is a sandbox game, you can create your own challenges and restrictions to have as much fun as you are not afraid of :mrgreen:

Is the bow more powerful?no,no,quicker,easier,more seductive. :fruity:
ebony (arming/knight/long) sword is a good option for those good at sword art

Well, it's like this:  killing people from far away = less risk than killing people up close.  In a mod and world that really wants you dead, especially early on, any advantage you can claw out is one you usually take.  That said, I usually run about 50% archers + 50% infantry, and lead the charge once either the troops run out of ammo or they manage to make it to my lines in force (read: mass cavalry).

Bow is OP in hands of player.

Once you get your hands on Noldor bow and have 250+ profs you are basically a sniper, two shoting pretty much anyone. 

I just started a new player thru... as an archer  :oops:

Your post made me restart... as a foot melee figghter with throwing weapons.

This will make my playthru much, much harder.  But perhaps more rewading in the end.

I am playing light lance, shield and one hander. Yes, archery is OP but it is rarely worth it, most fun i had was with a two hander, man when arrows and axes fly and you have no shield.... Nice!

mniezo said:
...most fun i had was with a two hander, man when arrows and axes fly and you have no shield.... Nice!
Indeed, shields are for wussies! :grin: Real men catch arrows and axes with their face anyway :twisted:

Gorvex said:
Nah, PoP is not that hard at all once you get the hang of it, and you can beat the sh1t out of it in all sorts of gear. It doesn't matter much what kind of build you play, and to prove my word, I'll link you a couple of playthroughs which are not focused on archery (not all playthroughs are finished due to lack of time and interest):

1) Mordred Viking: foot infantry with 2h swords, who uses crossbows. His party must dismount as well!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_1N_rYnoJY&list=PLT7S0pMdzhiQRdzoyxhkCscH2RQhA1BGu

2) ReformistTM:
a) Mounted, 1h weapons+shields and throwing weapons only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1uJ4b2M7cY&list=PL_7RJE1LgNVJrikJcNQrP3M2cVo6pN0pu
b) Mounted, selection of melee weapons on open-field, crossbows in sieges (planned)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jo_6B6l28s&list=PL_7RJE1LgNVJtUdxXupsSsSlqAZoxqqI0

3) zykox: berserker build (on foot), who fights almost completely naked, Weapons: 2h swords + throwing weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kND68jvq8iY&list=PLRuwkmCdO7CsQ9eDZvcRCR6O-iR1o5klB

4) Aldra Hill: Mounted, 1h+2h swords +shield. Same in sieges, or with crossbows sometimes. Hilariously enough, he often carries a bag of arrows in the 4th weapon slot, but I couldn't find him ever use a bow :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKrCCzwkj64&list=PLtKsA6L43Q-E9qysj5183edwJwmz79PVV

All-in-all, don't bother with archery being OP as f*ck in Pendor. Just play the way you feel like at any time! Since M&B is a sandbox game, you can create your own challenges and restrictions to have as much fun as you are not afraid of :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot Gorvex for the playthroughs and the time you take to gather it  :grin:
I'm gonna continue with my character, maybe add PD along the way. It's gonna take a long time before I can use a decent bow but right now I'm gonna hack and slash to the death! (with xbow as backup).

I just pickup Balanced Ebony Long Sword and it's rock at the moment. I also got a bow from something GOD but lost it on the way.
Back to the topic, so Bow really is OP but it's not really needed, it'll improve survivability nonetheless since getting hit in this mod is brutal.

Pacific_Salmon said:
Bow is OP in hands of player.

Once you get your hands on Noldor bow and have 250+ profs you are basically a sniper, two shoting pretty much anyone. 

I just started a new player thru... as an archer  :oops:

Your post made me restart... as a foot melee figghter with throwing weapons.

This will make my playthru much, much harder.  But perhaps more rewading in the end.

I can't imagine playing without horse lol Good luck on your playthrough!

Thanks everyone!

I use a bow because it's always been my play style... I've used a bow in Viking Conquest.  Maybe my next playthrough will be without a bow.

What is your opinion about bow in the hands of foot PC? Still OP? I love to play as foot warrior without cavalry in my party and Im just curious.

pavh said:
What is your opinion about bow in the hands of foot PC? Still OP? I love to play as foot warrior without cavalry in my party and Im just curious.
I recently had a playthrough the same as yours (foot soldier with no cavalry in my army) and I was using a bow. I found it to be highly difficult and in no way as overpowered as wielding a bow on horseback. With a bow and horse, I was able to solo jatu parties with upwards of ~40 troops (it was difficult, but it really shouldn't even be possible!). As a foot archer, I found dealing with any cavalry to be major difficulty. Normally with a horse, you're able to close in on your enemy and get an easy shot. Without a horse however, you are forced to take much longer shots that require much more skill to make. Enemy foot archers as well have a much easier time of hitting you while you're drawing (since you have hardly any mobility), and don't even get me started on cavalry archers...

Anyway, if what you're asking is whether using a bow will ruin your foot soldier playthrough in the same way it ruins a mounted playthrough: The answer is no. Adding a bow will help you much, but it will not make you into a demon.

zaji1911 said:
pavh said:
I recently had a playthrough the same as yours (foot soldier with no cavalry in my army) and I was using a bow. I found it to be highly difficult and in no way as overpowered as wielding a bow on horseback. With a bow and horse, I was able to solo jatu parties with upwards of ~40 troops (it was difficult, but it really shouldn't even be possible!). As a foot archer, I found dealing with any cavalry to be major difficulty. Normally with a horse, you're able to close in on your enemy and get an easy shot. Without a horse however, you are forced to take much longer shots that require much more skill to make. Enemy foot archers as well have a much easier time of hitting you while you're drawing (since you have hardly any mobility), and don't even get me started on cavalry archers...

Anyway, if what you're asking is whether using a bow will ruin your foot soldier playthrough in the same way it ruins a mounted playthrough: The answer is no. Adding a bow will help you much, but it will not make you into a demon.
Pretty much this.  With enough skill you can still chew through a lot of troops, but you aren't going to be as untouchable like you would as a horse archer.

zaji1911 said:
pavh said:

Actually Im using mix of all weapons except...bow. Im in role playing as "commoner king" without any nobles in my army (including companions) with two exceptions : one are knights of chosen order (I just become Immmortal), 2nd are Pendor Grey Archers (planned). And I dont want to be vassal just start my own kingdom when I'll be ready. I also had my own restrictions - no tournaments and never retreat from battles :mad:
Lots of fun for me but the process of gaining renown and level up is such very, very long...

Back
Top Bottom