What's this mod about?

Users who are viewing this thread

udm

Regular
I haven't tried Prophesy of Pendor yet, and for some reason I realised that I haven't actually read the features list until 5 minutes ago. After reading, it really got me interested. IMO M&B is an incomplete game - the combat/strategy side is about 70% of its full potential, while the questing/dialog/RPG aspect is sadly only about 25% of what it could have been. I've read that PoP will feature some extensive dialogue, which leads me to ask: is this mod going to focus more on the action part, or the RPG part? Ever since Storymod, there hasn't been a good mod that's featured good dialogue. When playing other mods, I really wish that townspeople would tell me something different other than what they produce and how awesome the weather is.

So back to the question, what's the mod about? Can someone just roughly give me an idea of what to expect?

Well, in the current version (1.21) there isn't much storyline going on. There are some events, but they don't lead to anything in this version. There is plenty of new dialogue and characters. In the next version, there will be lots of new features that focus a lot on the story, and there will still be lots of action. saxondragon and betat testers and other team members that have access could tell you in better detail, this is just what I know.

illmatics: I did, but I wanted to clarify if it was as I thought, because to me it sounded like it focused more on storyline, lore and dialogue

corndawg: so the "dynamic conversation system" isn't in the current version yet?

udm said:
illmatics: I did, but I wanted to clarify if it was as I thought, because to me it sounded like it focused more on storyline, lore and dialogue

corndawg: so the "dynamic conversation system" isn't in the current version yet?

Hello Udm,

We are several weeks away from the new Prophesy of Pendor V2.0 release.

The current version (Version 1.21) is a popular mod, done by myself as a proof of concept.

While there is a story in both mods, it does not deviate from open ended play styles.  Neither will lead you, step by step along a pre-determined story to a single logical conclusion.

Rather the story is yours to write, with your choices changing the landscape of the game environment, much more so in the 2.0 version than in the 1.21 version.

Prophesy of Pendor 2.0 is context rich. The detailed back-story brought forth both in the form of literature in the stories of Pendor and in the game itself in the form of the carefully crafted game world, bring richer meaning to your actions.

It is not just about which of five kingdoms to choose and fight for, but how to maneuver your company of companions and troops to dominance in the middle of an intense struggle between an additional dozen factions that have significant impact upon the primary five (or six counting the possibility of a player kingdom) factions.

Each game will be very different.  The level of difficulty is high.  Neither mod is designed for a new player who has difficulty defeating two equally skilled opponents at once. 

Will Lore be important? Absolutely.  It can give you definite advantages in the game.  Will understanding the intricate back stories be relevant?  Yes, as this gives context to what is happening in the game and can alert you to unusual occurrences that can be leveraged to your advantage.  Are there quests in the game?  Yes, there are.  You have to find them however, as they are not handed to you.

I hope that this helps in some way to answer your questions.

Best,

Saxondragon

Thanks for taking the time to explain, saxondragon. I still have some questions though.

- Will town and village scenes be made more interesting, instead of just being peppered with villagers who talk like generic robot characters? For that matter, will normal townspeople and villagers have anything interesting to say?

- The lore sounds like it's going to be richly detailed, but what about its implementation? As I understand it, Calradia's lore's implementation is basically just "look our city's being looted all the time, go kill all the bandits pls". Can players expect something different with PoP?

Again, I appreciate you explaining to me what the mod does, thanks.

udm said:
Thanks for taking the time to explain, saxondragon. I still have some questions though.

- Will town and village scenes be made more interesting, instead of just being peppered with villagers who talk like generic robot characters? For that matter, will normal townspeople and villagers have anything interesting to say?

- The lore sounds like it's going to be richly detailed, but what about its implementation? As I understand it, Calradia's lore's implementation is basically just "look our city's being looted all the time, go kill all the bandits pls". Can players expect something different with PoP?

Again, I appreciate you explaining to me what the mod does, thanks.

Townspeople, going about their day to day business inside towns and villages will rarely have anything of interest.  Talk to the mayor, the merchants, the patrons in the Inn, the barkeep and the castle steward to gain the richer dialogue.

I have posted this before.. but here are some preliminary screens I did about a month ago that may better answer your questions.  These are all test screens with the pre-defined topic (for testing purposes) of the Snake Cult.. one of the minor factions in the game. 

I could talk your ear off on how this works, it is one of the most complicated pieces of design and coding I have attempted.  When finished, I think it will be very interesting. 

Inkeeper_3-1.jpg

merchant_no_rumor_1-1.jpg

steward_1-1.jpg

traveler_1-1.jpg

traveler_2-1.jpg

Red_Bro_no_rumor_1.jpg

Traveler_no_rumor_2.jpg

Inkeeper_1-1.jpg

Best regards,

Saxondragon

Very cool, I like the dialog on the Snake Cult. Hope there'll be lots of reading and talking for the avid RPG fan like myself heheh. Keeping my eyes open for v2.0.

Back
Top Bottom