What pissed you off today? v. VI

Users who are viewing this thread

Bohemia is the westernmost and largest historical region of the Czech lands in the present-day Czech Republic. In a broader meaning, Bohemia sometimes refers to the entire Czech territory, including Moravia and Czech Silesia, especially in a historical context, such as the Lands of the Bohemian Crown ruled by Bohemian kings.

Bohemia was a duchy of Great Moravia, later an independent principality, a kingdom in the Holy Roman Empire, and subsequently a part of the Habsburg Monarchy and the Austrian Empire. After World War I and the establishment of an independent Czechoslovak state, Bohemia became a part of Czechoslovakia. Between 1938 and 1945, border regions with sizeable German-speaking minorities of all three Czech lands were joined to Nazi Germany as the Sudetenland.

Somebody ****ed up and turned the oven on without remembering that there was a plastic lid still sitting inside it. Much of the house smells of burning plastic right now. Yay. I'm not really mad, but my nose sure isn't enjoying it. That stuff really stinks. :lol:

edit: Did mess up and delete this post, tho. Oops.

Somebody ****ed up and turned the oven on without remembering that there was a plastic lid still sitting inside it. Much of the house smells of burning plastic right now. Yay. I'm not really mad, but my nose sure isn't enjoying it. That stuff really stinks. :lol:

edit: Did mess up and delete this post, tho. Oops.

But it was your fault for not being proactive and checking beforehand. You are to blame.

Arvenski said:
Somebody ****ed up and turned the oven on without remembering that there was a plastic lid still sitting inside it.

Are you one of those degenerates who turns on the oven long before putting anything in there?

Seriously, i've never understood preheating. You open the oven and all the heated air escapes, plus the surfaces cool considerably. An oven open for 30 seconds becomes cool enough to touch in places. It just seem wasteful.

I'm sorry, what? Do you never cook food? Do you not understand how an oven creates heat? It's not just the air that gets hot, you dolt. Also, what mentally handicapped person leaves an oven open for 30 seconds? You just open and quickly bosh in the food. One minute you don't understand Steamed Hams, the next you don't understand basic cooking methods.

Preheating an oven is just a way to create accuracy when cooking extremely time and temperature sensitive food, you know, like professional cooking. Maybe you want gas mark 6 for exactly 10 minutes instead of a slow increase of temperature up to gas mark 6 because you didn't preheat it. Putting something in a cold oven and then slowly heating to a fixed temperature can literally influence the consistency of the food. Preheating an oven is extremely useful.

Kentucky James said:
Arvenski said:
Somebody ****ed up and turned the oven on without remembering that there was a plastic lid still sitting inside it.

Are you one of those degenerates who turns on the oven long before putting anything in there?

Seriously, i've never understood preheating. You open the oven and all the heated air escapes, plus the surfaces cool considerably. An oven open for 30 seconds becomes cool enough to touch in places. It just seem wasteful.

Who has an oven door open for more than five seconds? You preheat the over, prepare the food you intend to cook, then open, insert and close in rapid sucession.

Kentucky James said:
Arvenski said:

The post of a man who has either never had to be self-sufficient or has only done so on microwaveable crap.

Preheating the oven is absolutely essential to properly cooking any dish slightly more complex than a frozen pizza.

Preheating the oven makes the food consistently come out the way it's supposed to. Lots of (pre-cooked)* stuff you put in the oven needs to have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F before it's thoroughly cooked and ready to eat. Preheating ensures you get to (probably exceed) that temperature within the time suggested by the recipe/instructions. By making the time it takes to cook food reliable you can make sure people you're serving don't have to wait another 15 minutes before their food is ready because all the other dishes can come out at the same time.

When I was a lazy, impatient kiddo I thought the way you did - food must cook better if you have it in the oven longer, even if the oven isn't fully heated yet! This was demonstrated to be wrong nearly every single time and I learned my lesson. :razz:

>mfw I wake up to an invasion of ovencucks
I do all of my cooking in a pan or a pot. Oven dishes generally take ages and apart from macaroni and cheese which is like some Caribbean guilty pleasure, there's nothing I can do in the oven which I prefer to make over a pan dish.

Also it's only my sister who leaves the oven open for 30 seconds. I'm a kitchen man I promise. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom