What military and what time period would you join?

Users who are viewing this thread

Not when you've got gin & tonic!

The British army created the drink just to avoid malaria, and well, the bitter taste of quinine bark. Which is exactly what makes tonic dry/bitter and what helps you fight malaria.

matmohair1 said:
:iamamoron: I kinda started to lose hope in a knighthood, yeah i'll skip the horses too!
so I'll join a band of infantry men-at -arms instead  :mrgreen: mercinary or otherwise...

006.jpg

hMVmr4O.jpg

06.jpg

C.jpg

022.jpg
Man-at-arms don't seem too different from knights in appearance.

An interesting question. If it was just time period, my answer would be obvious (Song Dynasty, of course, as long as it is pre Jingkang Incident or pre Mongol Invasion), but seeing as I'd have to be attached to a military... I'd say either a member of Zheng He's Treasure Fleets, Alexander the Great's armies, or perhaps a soldier in Akbar's Mughal armies. Or Shah Jahan's, because if you were in a good enough rank good lord, you would never want for anything. I'm fond of the Rajputs, to be more specific.

Though seeing as Im a woman that narrows options down considerably. But considering most famous woman soldiers were famous exactly because of their uniqueness, perhaps not.

I kinda want to experience what my grandpa experienced during the National Revolution. I mean it's pretty grim and ****, the feeling that you've had to watch hundreds of innocent villagers getting mowed down for refusing to sell out your hideout while hiding in a bush with your fellow comrades and whatnot (what he actually experienced), but still, I miss the times when I got excited hearing the stories he used to tell me when I was a kid that always gave me patriotic overdrive and ****. Good times, that.

But still, it'd be pretty awesome to hear the speech of Sukarno in the Ikada Field and getting all hyped up about killing Dutchmen and then receive bamboo sticks to destroy tanks and bomber planes, wouldn't it? :iamamoron:

Almalexia said:
(Song Dynasty, of course, as long as it is pre Jingkang Incident or pre Mongol Invasion)

Oh, wow! That took everyone by surprise! Who'd have thought...  :iamamoron:

As for 'military', these days, I'd probably go for a Cheyenne or a Sioux during the French and Indian war. I developed a strong fascination about them recently, after reading a lot of Fenimore Cooper (Natty Bumppo ftw) and a compilation of Western short stories by various authors, then moving on to find Osprey stuff for that War and parties involved.

Longbowman' said:
But still, it'd be pretty awesome to hear the speech of Sukarno in the Ikada Field and getting all hyped up about killing Dutchmen and then receive bamboo sticks to destroy tanks and bomber planes, wouldn't it? :iamamoron:

Ouch.

Almalexia said:
Though seeing as Im a woman that narrows options down considerably. But considering most famous woman soldiers were famous exactly because of their uniqueness, perhaps not.
Any Balkan army in the 1910s would work. :razz: You'd at least get a nice-looking uniform.

In a way I'd like to be part of the Macedonian army under Alexander the Great, just to witness his campaigns (then again, I could also say Grand Armée because I'm fascinated by Napoleon also). Another would possibly be the Hungarian Black Army or Polish Army under Stefan Batory... too many to choose from.

matmohair1 said:
Soldier Of Thebes said:
Totally would be a charioteer in Horemheb's chariotry.

Chariot19.jpg
Horemheb campaigning in Nubia

total_war1410644435_014.jpg

:wink: Early New Kingdom charioteers...

load1458513918_003-03.jpg

load1459982561_020-03.jpg

total_war1410643814_001.jpg

I'd be the archer of course, the strafing runs would cause great amount of damage. Where do you find all these pictures?

Back
Top Bottom