What kind of companions make the best leaders?

Users who are viewing this thread

I've never messed with giving companions troops in the past, preferring to keep them in my party. So with that, I'm not sure what skills would make for the best leaders of some troops.

I'm guessing Tactics, but not sure if the simulated battle advantage applies to fights they may get in. I'm also guessing Stewardship to have more troops. Leadership for morale and maybe some Scouting to see threats that are too big to handle before they get close. But these are really just all guesses.

Any advice?

I've never messed with giving companions troops in the past, preferring to keep them in my party. So with that, I'm not sure what skills would make for the best leaders of some troops.

I'm guessing Tactics, but not sure if the simulated battle advantage applies to fights they may get in. I'm also guessing Stewardship to have more troops. Leadership for morale and maybe some Scouting to see threats that are too big to handle before they get close. But these are really just all guesses.

Any advice?
1. Culture (Battania or Aserai).
2. Tactics.
3. Scouting.
4. Leadership
5. Stewardship

Scouting and Stewardship increase naturally on their own, Tactics barely budges and Leadership basically never improves. Of course their culture never changes but Battania has a very strong perk for companion party leaders, with Aserai being a runner-up and the rest being either marginal or worthless.

as party leader I prefer my family, companions are good for caravans :smile:
but I agree with scouting, as they need to see far, and tactics as they need to win battles, stewardship they get by make them quartermasters in 'party view', so over time they got it.
btw, they parties scale to clan tier and renown, I believe, so even those with leadership 0 got a party of 150...

ps.
  • "the Falcon": has Tactics skill of 100.
  • "the Prince": has Roguery skill of 140.
  • "the Surgeon": has Medicine skill of 80.
  • "the Engineer": has Engineering skill of 80.
  • "the Swift": has Steward skill of 80.
  • "the Swordsman": this companion is really good with weapon-related skills.
  • "the Shieldmaiden": this companion is really good with weapon-related skills.

Any advice?
scouting, leadership, tactics, medicine and steward are the main ones. Bitterdraught and willowbark are lower levels that can be leveled into great leaders, non-aserai wanderes are real low levels than with work can be amazing leaders, golden are little higher levels with decent skills, but with every game focus and attribute points are random so they differ each game

Thanks all. I'll give the advice a try when I get back to that playthrough. I have Adult Attention Deficit Disorder when it comes to this game, I get part way through a playthrough and think of another character I want to try out. So I have like 5 different save files at any one time :mrgreen:

You also have your family:
1. Your brother;
2. Your wife;
3. Your sister-in-law.
They can be good army leaders too. If you will marry, for example, on Sylvind and marry your brother on Liena playing Vlandia then you will get 3 great army leaders including your bro. Other cultures have great brides to marry too.

Yeah, I see them ticking up Leadership, Scouting, Stewardship and Medicine.

Roguery when they sell prisoners; Tactics only seems to tick when they fight their own separate battles.
I can't say I've seen their Leadership improve more than a few points, certainly never enough to gain any perks.

Tactics goes up when they are in your army and you go down in a fight. It can actually power-level pretty good once you've got like 900+ in your personal army then (deliberately or not) get yourself KO'ed in the beginning of a fight against a few hundred.

I can't say I've seen their Leadership improve more than a few points, certainly never enough to gain any perks.
Let me check my companions........

One of them was a 'fallen empire princess' who already had some leader-type skills; she is at 106L 90T
Basic companion: 87L 18T
Basic #2 (newer): 47L 18T
Empire Widow: 67L 55T
Empire Widow: 66L 62T

So it seems like the basic companions don't have as much Focus in Tactics as some of the "noble" types.

Back
Top Bottom