What is your favorite faction in 0.8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello folks, I've been playing the 0.8 update for a while now, alas I have not yet tried out all of the factions after the update (as that would require an immense amount of time to find the best units/strategies/synergies). So I'd like to hear what your favorite faction in 0.8 is, and why!

Got a little inspired by an old thread about which faction was the most OP, although that is not what I'm asking for, just your personal favor and opinion :smile:

Just a message for the developers:
I really have to admit that in all of my 160 hours and counting (unfortunately I was very late to the party of MB:W), this has got to be the most accomplished, polished and feature-rich mod I've played so far, and I've tried nearly all on the top list on moddb. The perfect blend of medieval and fantasy with a custom world with very unique and aweasome factions as its inhibitants along with a large handful of invasions and bandit parties. This mod really blew my mind, and with this new update I can for certain say that this is my absolute favorite mod of all time, and have surely packed in about a 100 hours out of my 160 hours into this mod alone!

Good job guys :smile:

Thanks for that message, we appreciate it.

Of the new factions, my favorite is Aroulo. I might be biased because theyre the one of mine, but we conceived it a couple years ago without the skills to implement aoe weapons and without the models/textures for their armors, with no scene making ability for their town and villages and without the general ability to make such a faction. The fact that it was an old idea that was revived is something to be proud of, and I'm also proud of my scene for Qaletaqa, which is really fun in my experience for both siege attack and defense when Aroulo troops are involved on either side. (beware of aoe)

As for units, just go down the hurler line and I think you'll be happy with what you get. :smile:

cwr said:
You guys really deserve high praise for this masterpiece :smile:

cwr said:
(beware of aoe)
I was quite surprised to hear about the Aroulo as I thought they were just some pretty decent fighters, although nothing to really stand out. I did think it was weird, as you guys have all created some very unique and interesting factions, which I felt this one lacked. I must've skipped the hurler in the troop tree!

That's a very interesting and new way to approach combat on. I can only imagine how good this can be in sieges, and generally against factions which mass their troops together. I just feel like it's a shame you can't start in some of the smaller factions (not minor factions, just the smaller ones). It could be implemented if you chose another option as a start location named something like "Show smaller factions' start locations", so that you could start out with the Kaikoth Federation or Aroulo for that matter! It would be harder for the player, but much more rewarding to fight for a smaller factions, especially due to some of their lores (example with the Kaikoth Federation, who were driven back by the Elintoran settlers on Perisno, which could really lead to some awesome RP-runs).

But that's just my 5 cents! Now I'm off to test out strategies with the Aroulo Ojibwakan!

You can start in some of the smaller factions- don't choose the classic backstory. If you choose to be a dwarf you can choose Karnoth as your birthplace and you start there. (beware this is a very tough opening mission)

If you choose human as your race, you can start in the Aroulo lands by the village on Perisno's western coast option.

We might add more birthplaces in the future to make even more options other than the generic start, if you have ideas for the opening missions/opening scenes for elves or giants I'm looking for ideas...

I love the Sut, and giants altogether.  Giants are my favorite race in mythology/ fantasy. The Sut have a great infantry and the chieftain calvary are incredible.  I love the look of the giants, I think I like the Sut more than the other, as they seem more like the "good" giants.

Mace to Face said:
I love the Sut, and giants altogether.  Giants are my favorite race in mythology/ fantasy. The Sut have a great infantry and the chieftain calvary are incredible.  I love the look of the giants, I think I like the Sut more than the other, as they seem more like the "good" giants.
Sut are the "good" giants compared to Bakhal.  :smile:

TheFrelle, how does starting location matter? It's just a place on the map, nothing more.
The global map has no borders. You can start in Khul Vara and immediately head to help Geldar or start in Maccan and go and join Kaikoth.
The only difference is 1 or 2 extra days it will take you to reach the target faction you want to be a part of.

Persino, and I am really curious about the lore of old kingdom of persino.
Why it suddenly disappeared as it is really a powerful ancient kingdom? Is there a true even stronger enemy of the world which made the old kingdom fell?

Lord-Latis said:
Persino, and I am really curious about the lore of old kingdom of persino.
Why it suddenly disappeared as it is really a powerful ancient kingdom? Is there a true even stronger enemy of the world which made the old kingdom fell?
We are not caught up completely with the lore. I hope to have more in people's hands in due time.

cwr said:
(beware of aoe)

Wait, is this why the arulo town has no archer protection? So they don't noobtube themselves on accident? I thought it was really weird but it makes a lot of sense. Also, I have discovered that while the giants are a MASSIVE boon to have in combat most of of the time, they are unfortunately walking pincushions against mounted archers  :cry:

Leonion said:
The only difference is 1 or 2 extra days it will take you to reach the target faction you want to be a part of.

That's absolutely true, and as cwr mentioned I can actually start at those different locations, which I never realised! It's more of an RP-issue for me, but not a big deal at all :smile:
I just tried out the different locations, and I really love the starting missions, quite well done. More missions or quests like that would be absolutely awesome!

Mace to Face said:
I didn't have time to try out the giants, but I have looked at their troop trees and I was very impressed. That sheer brute strength and cool-looking (chaos armor from Warhammer, or is it just me?) armor they all wear. Might make a save where I unite both giant factions into one superior infantry nation. I shall take Perisno by storm, and scourge the earth which the weakling humans walk on, hahh :smile:

my favorite nation is.............elves! they are good archers + elves are cool always liked them more than any other race :X

TheFrelle said:
Leonion said:

That's absolutely true, and as cwr mentioned I can actually start at those different locations, which I never realised! It's more of an RP-issue for me, but not a big deal at all :smile:
I just tried out the different locations, and I really love the starting missions, quite well done. More missions or quests like that would be absolutely awesome!

Mace to Face said:
I didn't have time to try out the giants, but I have looked at their troop trees and I was very impressed. That sheer brute strength and cool-looking (chaos armor from Warhammer, or is it just me?) armor they all wear. Might make a save where I unite both giant factions into one superior infantry nation. I shall take Perisno by storm, and scourge the earth which the weakling humans walk on, hahh :smile:

I've almost conquered all the giant lands, "All hail King Krug, High Chief of the Sut, destroyer of the Bakhal!"

i really like the gelder, i am just hugely irritated that i can never get them to survive...
their lone lord acts like an idiot and get himself taken constantly. even given them allies as the aurola didn't help much, they are gone within 80 days.
the faction seems unable to raise troops fast enough to do anything after their first defeat and when the 2000 strong elven army comes... well they can't stop them.
also the main elven number of lords seems way over the top and nobody is really a treat to them.

cwr said:

Of the new factions, my favorite is Aroulo. I might be biased because theyre the one of mine, but we conceived it a couple years ago without the skills to implement aoe weapons and without the models/textures for their armors, with no scene making ability for their town and villages and without the general ability to make such a faction. The fact that it was an old idea that was revived is something to be proud of, and I'm also proud of my scene for Qaletaqa, which is really fun in my experience for both siege attack and defense when Aroulo troops are involved on either side. (beware of aoe)

As for units, just go down the hurler line and I think you'll be happy with what you get. :smile:
I like hurlers THIS MUCH! Thx man good stuff.

ThorDK said:
and i am all in for that if there were just one way i could do it with geldarian troops.

Kinda disappointing how Rhinio still remains stationary, even if the Geldar are winning against Elintor. I´ve actually been able to conquer all fiefs on the Forniron peninsula as a Geldar lord, but only while:

1. Elintor was fighting Tolrania, with Tolrania beating them quite handily
2. Arolou whopping any Elintor lord on the Forniron peninsula (with the exception of Queen Arwen who is still quite op) 
3. Me harrasing any Elintor lord who was unlucky enough to pass my section of the forest
4. Me beeing named Marshall

But I gotta admit that with the addition of the Elintor Noble Maiden to any Elintor garrison... conquering a Elintor fief appears like a nigh impossible task.

I mean look at their stats:
500 on every weapon skill, 30 str and 33 agi, ironflesh on 8, pws on 9...added to the fact that they´re alrdy equipped with the best melee equip money can buy. This gals are all in all pretty brutal and most fiefs have at least 100 of them garrisoned. I tried Mac xbows, Dwarven nobles, Geldars and Eagle knights but to no avail. The moment my Knights reach the wall, even the lords are getting cut to pieces.

I felt like arrow trapping was the only way, which I did not want to do. So I ended up replacing their noble swords, with short swords and fountain guard spear, while also making the Geldar foot knights upgrade into Honor guards (shame on me...).

If anybody were to post a guide on how to take on Elintor fiefs after 0.8, I be keen to read.

My favorite faction has to be Realm Of The Falcon. First thing is their armors. Props to the team for doing such a cool design. Second is the power of their troops. Its hard to get them in the beginning but it feels rewarding when you get a party of 150 and crush Hakkon, Draharan and Kaikoth lords all the time. They have little lords so you can befriend them, become a marshall and start destroying your neighbors.

I think the dwarves have a lot of potential, but at the moment they do not give you a lot to do :sad: There are 0 rebels etc in the dwarf territory, meaning 0 to fight. And the kingdom almost never goes to war, in my experience, with another faction. And there are not many lords (which is understandable to not make the faction as powerful as the others, which is OK), but this means that you don't get any missions whatsoever. I have fully upgraded my village now that I got when joining the dwarves, but I have still seen 0 wars or had 0 fights with rebels in the territory. I just keep taking the quest in a dwarf tavern to cleanse a village of corrupt noble troops or something, as that is the only fight I am getting.

On the plus side! I really like the noble troops of the dwarves, they are really cool. But I kinda wish that the best infantry units had a shield, as that feels more stereotypical, and I want that for my slow dwarf units if I am going against a heavily ranged enemy, or even standing against an enemy cavalry charge.

There are 3 possible troop additions that I can think of to try broaden the Dwarf troop tree a bit:

1. A gunpowder unit, it can be a really bad gunpowder weapon with bad accuracy and long reload etc, but it would still be cool. Considering dwarves are generally seen as very high-tech it would be appropriate I think.

2. A medium-tier halberdier, without a shield. Being an upgrade from Kaikoth Warrior, making it parallel and on the same tier as the Kaikoth Mountain Warrior. The neighbours nearby, Hakkon, love their heavy cavalry, and it is natural that the dwarves would have developed a halberdier unit to try counter this. Alternatively you could even have a higher tier unit of the halberdier in the form of a unit similar to this unit in the back, in heavy gear and a spear + a large shield instead of using a halberd, running behind Thorin at 2:18:

3. When I think dwarf I think hammers.. Axes.. Pickaxes.. I don't think the Kaikoth Mountain Keeper fits the role that much, at least not RP-wise for me. I think something similar to this as a last-tier troop would be amazing, this unit being the Dragonslayers of Ered-Mithrin, from another mod to another game (Third Age Total War to Medieval 2 Total War):

Dragonslayers_of_Ered_Mithrin.jpg

I'm just feeling that when I play as dwarves I love the idea of a tight-knit shield wall formation going through the enemy, but that is not possible because currently the last-tier units, in the mountain keepers, have no shield (also I don't think the armor looks that dwarfish). I personally feel that the dwarves should have really strong armor and good shields, but not have that amazing weapon damage on their one-handed weapons.

I hope you don't take my feedback negatively, if any developer is reading this. I wouldn't take the time to write this usually for others mods, I am doing it here cause I LOVE this mod, and I see that you have an active mod team which are continuing to make this mod even more amazing. I have gone through all the top 10 mods apart from this one, for this game, and nothing hooked me, and then I saw this world. I seriously even like the lore of this, something I usually don't care about in new games (this is what made me reroll from my latest game, because I wanted to play as the dwarves now and take revenge on all the other races, especially the elves, when I figured out what they had done lore-wise to the dwarves).

So yea, I freaking love this mod, but please show some more love to dwarves! There are a lot of human factions out there to choose from, but only one dwarf faction, so for us dwarf-lovers it would be nice to have something big hehe. And I hope that there maybe is a new faction in the southeast in the future, bordering the dwarves via the open mountain pass at the east of the dwarves region, and also bordering the Drahara faction. This would make it more fun for the dwarves, if they had to deal with incursions by an aggressive faction in the desert etc.

Back
Top Bottom