What happened to Home of the Underdogs??

Users who are viewing this thread

Elias_Maluco

Regular
Today I went to pay a visit to my favorite website, "Home of the Underdogs" (http://www.the-underdogs.org/). To my despair, it seens to be gone. Anyone have any idea of what happened? If its gone, we just lost the greatest video-game database ever.

Ahhh NOOOO!!!!

Here's what Wikipedia had to say about it:

As of March 21, 2006, the Home of the Underdogs website is broken due to the domain name registration having expired. The site is still accessible via its IP address (http://209.120.136.195/[1]) but downloads and screenshots are unavailable and the community forum is inaccessible.

Its a damn shame.

From what I can gather the admin basically didn't have enough time to keep the site going anymore. Thats why the updates slowed to about 1 in a blue moon rather than the weekly updates it used to have.

It isn't back up though... at least for me. Like I quoted, you can SEE the site if you go to that link, but you can't download anyhting or use the forum.

Mage246 said:
It isn't back up though... at least for me. Like I quoted, you can SEE the site if you go to that link, but you can't download anyhting or use the forum.

Mabye there's been some kind of legal sanctions because some of it's games weren't Abondonware.

Nah they;ve gone through that several times before. They have a strict policy now about taking down the game if the company protests.

Mage246 said:
Nah they;ve gone through that several times before. They have a strict policy now about taking down the game if the company protests.

Ahhh. Hey, just noticed your first post and your new Avatar go nicely togethr :wink:

It happened at least once before that the domain name was "stolen" by a nasty squatter when Underdogs forgot about paying the registration fee. She'll sort it out.:smile:

The site needs more reviewers (and admins?) though. Underdogs is pretty busy with a professional life as an investment banker and has a hard time maintaining the place.

I'm gonna go donate as soon as it comes back up... WHO IS WITH ME??

*charges off alone*

Am i going to get my testes ripped off when i say 'what is the underdogs?'

A site dedicated to displaying (and largely hosting) games that never quite made it into the spotlight. Many are worse than averge (hence their faliure) but there are a surprising number of gems among them. Most of these make it to the "belated hall of fame" as it were.

Mount and Blade is currently listed on the underdogs and indeed many of us appear to have come from the underdogs... (although myself from Rome Total Realisim)

Back
Top Bottom