What do u think is missing for this game to have a soul?

Users who are viewing this thread

That will only translate to months of more coding and hiring extra VAs for the lines, improving the current game meta and adding content to the pre-release version takes top priority over muh immersion.

Something you can expect from a 50€ AAA title, especially when its 10 year old predecessor had this kind of distinction, at least in a basic way.

No reason to act like a child here, man...

Perhaps more random events. Fires, floods, disease, plagues, food shortages, famine. I also think there needs to be more randomisation of mobs. Rebels, hordes, vikings, raiders, mysterious factions from; the deep desert, forest, mountains. Unhirable, perhaps roam around for a bit, dissapear, reappear, split, raze castles, occupy. etc

How fickle is life? There should be a sprinkling of it here as well.

Yes there is the broader structure of factions but it needs more errata in the data.

Making relationships more meaningful will help immersion as well. That means some being less fickle and others more so.

Perhaps more random events. Fires, floods, disease, plagues, food shortages, famine. I also think there needs to be more randomisation of mobs. Rebels, hordes, vikings, raiders, mysterious factions from; the deep desert, forest, mountains. Unhirable, perhaps roam around for a bit, dissapear, reappear, split, raze castles, occupy. etc

How fickle is life? There should be a sprinkling of it here as well.

Yes there is the broader structure of factions but it needs more errata in the data.

Making relationships more meaningful will help immersion as well. That means some being less fickle and others more so.

^This, except for magical spawning factions. I don't like magical spawns out of no where. Have you ever played State of Decay 2? Ruined because of that.

Speaking of State of Decay 2, if you play that game on nightmare difficulty you really feel like it is survival all the time. Everytime you go out for a simple scavenge mission you could lose a survivor. The survivors have personalities too so it feels like you just lost Glenn from the Walking Dead TV series. That kind of thing really puts a soul in a game. You are never really safe even at end game which makes it fun all the time.

So more procedural generated events. Plague and natural disasters can tip the balance of power.

And more interesting stuff to do like:

1. add solo adventurer parties like yourself. They start with nothing and build up too like you. Now you can also fight and trade with other adventurers like yourself not just looter/bandits. They can open their own workshops and caravans and maybe sabotage your workshops and stuff.

2. add crafting. Gather stuff. make stuff. stuff you made make more advanced stuff. sell final advanced stuff. profit.

3. add hunting (already in official TW top suggestion list)

4. add bounty hunting like in assassin's creed odyssey.

5. rework hideouts to be like mini small party sieges.

6. expand tournament to be a full mini-game in itself. like a gladiatorial/medieval sport with progression where you can manage your companions in the fights

7. add a message board for procedurally generated quests, bounties, contracts, etc. like witcher 3 and assassins creed odyssey

So many things you could add to the game to make it interesting.

Last edited:
Something you can expect from a 50€ AAA title, especially when its 10 year old predecessor had this kind of distinction, at least in a basic way.

No reason to act like a child here, man...
I doubt that's the case, people calling the game a AAA title because of it's quality art and how much it sold on steam doesn't magically turn it into an official A+whatever title, before the EA release it's just an Indie game with high quality production made under a tight budget, and it still is even now and later onwards, despite the money they got from the steam sales they still have to make it all count especially after getting attention. And accusing me of acting like a child just because of me noticing people's unhealthy mental obsession with 'immersion' and 'realism' in this forum is plain stupid as much as it is a petty insult even for you.

The game itself is not the problem, it's the people who over expect it to be whatever they fantasize Bannerlord to be.

I doubt that's the case, people calling the game a AAA title because of it's quality art and how much it sold on steam doesn't magically turn it into an official A+whatever title, before the EA release it's just an Indie game with high quality production made under a tight budget, and it still is even now and later onwards, yet despite the money they got from the steam sales they still have to make it all count especially after getting attention. And accusing me of acting like a child just because of me noticing people's unhealthy mental obsession with 'immersion' and 'realism' in this forum is plain stupid as much as it is a petty insult even for you.

The game itself is not the problem, it's the people who over expect it to be whatever they fantasize Bannerlord to be.

A developer that sets a price for a game as if it was an AAA one has to deliver according to that. Simple as that.

"Noticing people's unhealthy mental obsession". That's another one. Learn to articulate, that's just hatred towards people who like to play games with a certain depth instead of superficial arcade bs. Asking for immersion in an RPG (and in fact that's what M%B is) is not stupid and nowhere near an obsession. Nobody demands that you share this preference.

People expect improvements and a visible development and thought process put into the game. Instead they see a thinned out copy with nicer graphics, and that's why this thread exists.

There needs to be more real interaction with the people in the world. It's not at all immersive or exciting voting for policies and fief assignment through menus. It would be great if there were realm meetings (similar to feasts) where the Lords gather to discuss things such as policies etc.

My idea is just a brief example, and doesn't have to be exactly that, but more immersive interaction with the world is surely needed.
A meeting with lords to discuss policies, fief control, rivalries, etc would be awesome. During wars, feifs could be given temporary to higher clans that can ensure the safe keeping of captured territory. After that and during peacetime (which needs more things to do anyways) can be when everything gets divided up and allocated to permanent holders. During peace should be when policies get passed, feasts, etc. Can't wait to play my own littlefinger role in pitting people against each other and climbing the ranks.

A list of things this game is definitely missing in order to be an RPG:
-More dialog with Lords and Ladies. They have no personality, they have nothing to talk about, they have enemies? Yeah you can find out in the encyclopedia but do they talk about it? No, they don't have desires or wishes, they dont have friends and they dont make feasts and parties, they are just there without a real consistent purpose, just what they're designed to do.
-More court characters/people in the keep (No town governors, no known counselors, no generals, no jugglers, no spies masters, the keeps are empty just 2 guards that wont talk to you, it should be the place to inform yourself about politics, where it's just a place where lords are and nothing else)
-Town interaction. The towns are empty, there are statues simulating a place, there are no carnivals happening, no knights and mercenaries passing through, just a gang that repeats itself in every town, they dont react to you as a person, as a lord, as a bandit, they dont care about you, they just do their own thing and that's it.
-Tavern interaction. Taverns are as empty as towns, just find someone to hire and that's it, no travellers that bring gossips from other places, no group of knights that will talk about their adventures, the tavern keeper doesn't have anything to talk about, there is not even a belligerent drunk (huge step down from Warband), you should be able to go with part of your party and get drunk as hell together to boost their morale (and I mean a group of your soldiers not just companions) you should be able to hire assassins or people who will spy for you, you should be able to impress the common folk if you have renown.
-Tournament interaction. If you just won a tournament all you get is a flag outside of the arena??? That's it? That's the so amazing attention to detail these 8 years took you? Wouldnt people recognize you in town for being a great tournament champion? You cant even dedicate them to the ladies lmao, another step down from warband. Where are the fighters at? Why aren't they in the tavern using their tournament money, dont they have squires and people accompanying them? There sure are recurring characters but they have no personality. Where are the fans that follow you after being famous? Nobody reacts to you after winning 6 tournaments non stop?
-Companion interaction. This is probably the greatest fault. The people who accompany you that should be interesting and spice your playthrough are nowhere to be seen, they just go along you and fight, and that's it, they have no personality, even if they're devious they're devoid of humanity, they dont give a **** and they wont have anything to say, guess what, another step down from warband, again you're supposed to EXPAND on it not roll back into more robots. They should react at absolutely everything you do, and you should convince the ones that have high stats or high or low honor values to join your campaign.
Again the lack of interesting humans make this game just a beautiful Encarta tour through towns but it's so devoid of actual magic I dont even care to develop a character at all, because no one will care about what I do, does it matter if you burn everything? Nope, you just see positive or negative values, who gives a **** about numbers give me the real deal.

A developer that sets a price for a game as if it was an AAA one has to deliver according to that. Simple as that.

THIS!

If this game was like 20€ I wouldn´t complain at all. If you demand a AAA price, deliver AAA quality! It´s that simple!

If this was a Battlefield game it would be like that you can play on two maps with 5 weapons, 1 one of them would crash the game if you use it and 3 of them were bugged. Also the balance would be total off, like one weapon dominates all other weapons and there wouldn´t be any party features.

Demand the big games prices then deliver the big games quality.

Disclaimer:

Yes I know that other tripple AAA games have their issues too, but you can´t compare those issues with Bannerlord.

TW could have easily set the price lower for EA and then rise it for the full release, like a lot of devs do. It was also ok to release this game for 50€ in EA, but then they need to deliver with updates and they don´t!

You can´t demand a AAA price for a broken mess like Bannerlord is. I mean you shouldn´t because TW can :grin: .

Nobody should wonder why they took 8 years of development time now, they have no clue what they are doing or where they are wanna go with this game. They just try stuff and hope it will work, 9/10 times it doesn´t.

Last edited:
^This, except for magical spawning factions. I don't like magical spawns out of no where. Have you ever played State of Decay 2? Ruined because of that.

Speaking of State of Decay 2, if you play that game on nightmare difficulty you really feel like it is survival all the time. Everytime you go out for a simple scavenge mission you could lose a survivor. The survivors have personalities too so it feels like you just lost Glenn from the Walking Dead TV series. That kind of thing really puts a soul in a game. You are never really safe even at end game which makes it fun all the time.

So more procedural generated events. Plague and natural disasters can tip the balance of power.

And more interesting stuff to do like:

1. add solo adventurer parties like yourself. They start with nothing and build up too like you. Now you can also fight and trade with other adventurers like yourself not just looter/bandits. They can open their own workshops and caravans and maybe sabotage your workshops and stuff.

2. add crafting. Gather stuff. make stuff. stuff you made make more advanced stuff. sell final advanced stuff. profit.

3. add hunting (already in official TW top suggestion list)

4. add bounty hunting like in assassin's creed odyssey.

5. rework hideouts to be like mini small party sieges.

6. expand tournament to be a full mini-game in itself. like a gladiatorial/medieval sport with progression where you can manage your companions in the fights

7. add a message board for procedurally generated quests, bounties, contracts, etc. like witcher 3 and assassins creed odyssey

So many things you could add to the game to make it interesting.

Those are some great suggestions. I think they could open opportunities to make the world feel more alive and interconnected.

For example, adventurer parties would also want to attack hideouts and bandit parties, kinda like manhunters from WB. But if a bandit hideout is too powerful they might generate a quest to team up with the player to attack the hideout together in a mini-siege.

This would also work well if bandit hideouts could have tiers. A tier 1 hideout might play out like they do currently, but a tier 2 hideout might be more fortified and require a mini siege. At tier 3 maybe they'd have a named bandit leader, send out patrols, and have a mix of bandit, mercenary, and the local culture's troop types, representing their growing power as they attract deserters and revolutionaries. Adventurer parties might ask to team up against tier 2 and 3 hideouts, and lords of nearby fiefs might create a quest to destroy a tier 3 hideout that threatens their control of the territory. Both of these quests could appear on the bounty board.

I also think that the game could benefit from a more apocalyptic vibe. This is a 3 way civil war, 4 if you count the Vlandians as properly belonging to the Empire, with new threats from the Khuzaits and Sturgians. If random events like plagues or peasant rebellions get involved, even more turmoil.

Right now it feels like Warband, which isn't a bad thing, but Warband depicts a fictionalized kinda-High Middle Ages: a civilization run by violent psychopaths, sure, but it's a civilization at its peak. The rules of medieval Feudalism are well established and the lords generally follow those rules.

Bannerlord depicts a different, ostensibly less violent and chaotic civilization, ending. The Imperial institutions that ruled Calradia, the trade networks, the Senate, Legions, professional organizations, theyre all barely holding on, if they haven't collapsed already.

There aren't any rules anymore. This isn't swords and chivalry, this is Mad Max.

Bannerlord singleplayer is like a worse warband currently with fancier graphics. Combat is poor, skill system is convoluted and horses run straight through troops.

For multiplayer they need to first fix combat to be more similar to warband. They need to give us customization for multiplayer, the class system is dull. My most frequent gamemode is missing, battle, I need a rewarding single life gamemode to have fun.

A list of things this game is definitely missing in order to be an RPG:
-More dialog with Lords and Ladies. They have no personality, they have nothing to talk about, they have enemies? Yeah you can find out in the encyclopedia but do they talk about it? No, they don't have desires or wishes, they dont have friends and they dont make feasts and parties, they are just there without a real consistent purpose, just what they're designed to do.
-More court characters/people in the keep (No town governors, no known counselors, no generals, no jugglers, no spies masters, the keeps are empty just 2 guards that wont talk to you, it should be the place to inform yourself about politics, where it's just a place where lords are and nothing else)
-Town interaction. The towns are empty, there are statues simulating a place, there are no carnivals happening, no knights and mercenaries passing through, just a gang that repeats itself in every town, they dont react to you as a person, as a lord, as a bandit, they dont care about you, they just do their own thing and that's it.
-Tavern interaction. Taverns are as empty as towns, just find someone to hire and that's it, no travellers that bring gossips from other places, no group of knights that will talk about their adventures, the tavern keeper doesn't have anything to talk about, there is not even a belligerent drunk (huge step down from Warband), you should be able to go with part of your party and get drunk as hell together to boost their morale (and I mean a group of your soldiers not just companions) you should be able to hire assassins or people who will spy for you, you should be able to impress the common folk if you have renown.
-Tournament interaction. If you just won a tournament all you get is a flag outside of the arena??? That's it? That's the so amazing attention to detail these 8 years took you? Wouldnt people recognize you in town for being a great tournament champion? You cant even dedicate them to the ladies lmao, another step down from warband. Where are the fighters at? Why aren't they in the tavern using their tournament money, dont they have squires and people accompanying them? There sure are recurring characters but they have no personality. Where are the fans that follow you after being famous? Nobody reacts to you after winning 6 tournaments non stop?
-Companion interaction. This is probably the greatest fault. The people who accompany you that should be interesting and spice your playthrough are nowhere to be seen, they just go along you and fight, and that's it, they have no personality, even if they're devious they're devoid of humanity, they dont give a **** and they wont have anything to say, guess what, another step down from warband, again you're supposed to EXPAND on it not roll back into more robots. They should react at absolutely everything you do, and you should convince the ones that have high stats or high or low honor values to join your campaign.
Again the lack of interesting humans make this game just a beautiful Encarta tour through towns but it's so devoid of actual magic I dont even care to develop a character at all, because no one will care about what I do, does it matter if you burn everything? Nope, you just see positive or negative values, who gives a **** about numbers give me the real deal.

I'd appreciate all this kind of stuff a hell of lot more than a living economic simulator that will probably never be balanced enough to make sense.

2 words: Mod Tools. Yes, now.
Everything from now on can be fixed trough mods. What r they trying to do with the core game ? It is a boring sandbox without sand and in a square, not a box. Let modders add the flavour.

I would like a more accurate roadmap just to see how long this will take...

Those are some great suggestions. I think they could open opportunities to make the world feel more alive and interconnected.

For example, adventurer parties would also want to attack hideouts and bandit parties, kinda like manhunters from WB. But if a bandit hideout is too powerful they might generate a quest to team up with the player to attack the hideout together in a mini-siege.

This would also work well if bandit hideouts could have tiers. A tier 1 hideout might play out like they do currently, but a tier 2 hideout might be more fortified and require a mini siege. At tier 3 maybe they'd have a named bandit leader, send out patrols, and have a mix of bandit, mercenary, and the local culture's troop types, representing their growing power as they attract deserters and revolutionaries. Adventurer parties might ask to team up against tier 2 and 3 hideouts, and lords of nearby fiefs might create a quest to destroy a tier 3 hideout that threatens their control of the territory. Both of these quests could appear on the bounty board.

Yes, mini-siege bandit hideouts + AI adventurers like you are really great ideas! It really gives that extra fun in that early game + peacetime.

Be able to handpick a few troops/companions and then assault a hideout but make the system like siege on a tiny map, with indoor maps.
Multi-staged bandit hideout mini sieges = very early game mini siege option + mid-game mini siege option and even late game mini sieges due to capped troop number limit when assaulting a hideout.

This actually fixes a lot of the issues the game has right now.

- grindy early game with little to do.
- boring peacetime (now there is a mini siege with 0 faction consequences during peacetime + fighting/working with other solo adventuers)
- companions lacking personality (now you assault together in a mini siege). Adds immersion if you lose them later.
- companions usually subpar and unregconised in battle (now their equipment and skills really show in a mini siege from small troop number assaults)

Last edited:
All I can tell is we can't wait ''2 years'' for full release.We waited enough and can wait max 1 year more also already passed 2 months of a year.Espacially we can't wait 2 years for modding tools thats all I'm saying.They better release full version of game in 1 year because we had enough of waiting.

A bigger price tag doesn't mean the devs have to oblige to that motion as if it's a divine mandate from some imaginary authority they have to follow, the only authority they take orders from are ultimately none other than themselves. And if you bought the game knowing full well it's only in EA and became disappointed at the lack of content despite spending many hours playing the game, then it's on you not the devs.

Other AAA companies set their prices higher on the games they make despite the overall shiny graphics but piss-poor content and no one complained. Yet TW is not even a AAA company but somehow they 'have to live up to the AAA standards because muh price tag'? Now that is BS logic.

"Noticing people's unhealthy mental obsession". That's another one. Learn to articulate, that's just hatred towards people who like to play games with a certain depth instead of superficial arcade bs. Asking for immersion in an RPG (and in fact that's what M%B is) is not stupid and nowhere near an obsession. Nobody demands that you share this preference.
And yet people still insist the game should be full of immersion and realism no matter what anyone else says. While M&B is an RPG game, it certainly is not a 'real-life' medieval sims simulator, and no one should suffer through the 'immersive realism' some vocal minority wanted this game to become. Calling my criticism on 'deep immersion and realism' as 'hatred' is yet another BS logic from you.

People expect improvements and a visible development and thought process put into the game. Instead they see a thinned out copy with nicer graphics, and that's why this thread exists.
Why do you think the devs frequently patch the game after putting it up for sale on Steam in the first place? The point of EA is to acquire solid factual feedback from players to make the game better overtime towards release day. They even put a telemetry on the game for transmitting raw data. And yet despite all of that some fans still find reasons to criticize the devs for 'not doing enough'.
I, for one say let the devs do their work to get things done. They alone know what exactly needs to be done to make the game stable. Game stability takes priority over some reactionary criticism and flavor features that can be added at a later date, assuming those features would even be considered at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom