What did you make/build today?

Users who are viewing this thread

So, I can't seem to remember there being a thread like this, and I looked back several years of threads and didn't find one.

Enough of that, show me what you built today!

I made a mace from an oak dowel and some steel plumbing.

20170617_201056_zpsm8hmjhgp.jpg

Cool, how does it handle? How have you attached it to the shaft? I imagine that cog-like part around the middle of the steel would act like flanges on a medieval mace, preventing the mace head from glancing off a target and concentrating more of the energy of the strike into the target.

The diameter of the wood I used was slightly greater than the inside diameter of the head. I sanded it down to a snug fit, sawed a slit in the top, put the head back on, hammered a wedge down the slit, and then since the top of the head screws off, I left that off and poured epoxy into the head to just double make sure everything stayed together, and then screwed the top back onto the head.

Also it's a total of only 19 inches long and weighs about 2.5 lbs. Handles exactly like my tomahawk actually. The flanges are actually made from what was a union joint, which is a large nut used to join twould sections of pipe. I used an angle grinder to cut out parts of the nut to leave the flanges.

Ah, so it's deceptively more well made than it appears. Well, I'm sure it'd be quite apt for knocking helmets, it definitely reminds me of certain trench creations.

Not sure how much activity the thread will see, as us stupid millennials don't know how to work with our hands, but it's a cool idea. I'd have stuff to post if I had more money for the materials. :lol:

I don't know your rank, or if you're even active anymore, but do you ever wear a sword? Should see about taking this along with you instead.

Wear a sword only ceremonially. I'm thinking of getting an actual sword made that meets uniform requirements, but has a sharpened spring steel blade with a full tang instead of the stainless POS wall hangers we wear.

I'm a millenial too. Maybe if people post their creations it will create inspiration for the less handy people.

Do it, maybe a lot of people won't appreciate it, but some will and with a little maintenance the sword could outlive you. It'd make a good heirloom, especially if your kiddo ever enlists, commissions or (more likely with the way the industries and armed forces are going over the next couple decades :lol:) does contract work.

One of my station commanders had his Army's NCO small sword that was bought for him as a gift by his family hung on his office wall, and it would seem they didn't have a clue what a good sword was - it was awful. It would start rusting within a week and he said he had to shim the hilt to stop it from literally riding up the blade.

20170620_233629_zpsi2fxb0pr.jpg

I actually built this work bench a while ago, but I just cleared it off the other day so I could sand the top and then applied linseed oil. I'm thinking a dark wood stain to finish it off would be nice.

Wigster600 said:
That's a nice bench, i'd like to get into carpentry/joinery/diyery myself but i've no idea where to begin.

Do simple stuff like that bench I made. I have no carpentry skills, but the bench was easy enough. You can even find plans if you don't know how to design something on your own.

Years ago I made several buildings for a Christmas display.  When we moved, rather than leave them behind, one of my daughters took them.  Now I just finished construction of the first of a new Christmas village.  All that remains is the painting so it will look like this, absent the trees, they are separate. 
Mz8bu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom