What are you reading now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

Fanfiction with a highly intelligent Harry, who has a very scientific mindset. Full of actual real scientific stuff, mostly about human psychology. Deals with magic in a very cool way. ( Harry tries to make sense of magic....but its magic. )

The writer is actuallya scientist and writes really well. Which is why the end is especially infuriating for me. Book 1 ends ( about 600k words) and he says that whoever wants may continue the story, since he has finished what he wanted to write.

Only problem with that is that if you want to write an extremely intelligent person, you kinda need to be intelligent yourself...and most fanfiction authors are not.

( 3rd time re-reading. )

I'm reading the Last Dragon Chronicles for, probably the 5-7th time (Goddamn love that series. May or may not be effected by how i have the same name as the main character) and I'm currently on Firestar. I've no idea if anybody else really has read TLD, as the first book probably draws away the more "serious) crowd.

Sartek said:
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

Fanfiction with a highly intelligent Harry, who has a very scientific mindset. Full of actual real scientific stuff, mostly about human psychology. Deals with magic in a very cool way. ( Harry tries to make sense of magic....but its magic. )

The writer is actuallya scientist and writes really well. Which is why the end is especially infuriating for me. Book 1 ends ( about 600k words) and he says that whoever wants may continue the story, since he has finished what he wanted to write.

Only problem with that is that if you want to write an extremely intelligent person, you kinda need to be intelligent yourself...and most fanfiction authors are not.

( 3rd time re-reading. )

HPMOR was definitely good. 2nd best web serial I've seen after Worm, which is actually one of my favorite things ever.

Worm sounds interesting.

Guess I`ll take that next after I finish HPMOR.

All the rest of the fanfictions I read have some serious troubles with updating :grin:

Although Harry Potter and the Heartlands of time just did, recently. An amazing story that has very little to do with canon Harry Potter.

Oh wait, have to read Gate first as well....

Just don't give up on it after the first few chapters. It was the first thing the author had written, so it had some problems, but he quickly got better. It might seem very YAish, but it really isn't. Pretty sure his current big plan is to go back and edit the rough spots soon in preparation for attempts at publication, so that wont last forever.

I saw the word count and it pretty much sold itself.

Have read one fanfiction that was awfully long and actually awful as well. Only fic I have dropped so far. 4 pages to say what could be said in one sentence.

Just finished Vikingr by JS Malpas (like the mod, but only on kindle for some reason) and now on The Falcon Throne by Karen Miller. Both awesome books!

Just finished the first Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, and I've got to say, it was amazing. I really like how it all turned out.

these books are probably the best emotional cases for religion that I've seen so far. Almost persuaded me - to the Survivor religion, naturally. :wink: Survive and hope. Also, Sazed makes a fine God. I wouldn't mind that sort of deity - the kind that let you know it existed, the kind that made sure you knew it had noble intentions.

I never really liked Elend. He should've died in the caverns. I'm not glad that he's dead, but... more like satisfied. I'm also... satisfied to see a fulfillment to Vin. I'm not certain if Sazed just lied about having talked to their souls (and Kelsier's), but perhaps with him being so vast and powerful, just knowing their minds is similar enough. Vin and Elend aren't going to come back... but I still expect Sazed to find a way to make it happen, should he wish so. And with anyone else he wants, too...

Going to start reading the 1st book of the 2nd trilogy now, got it super cheap as an e-book.

Rereading the Lions of Al Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. A good book, if you don't mind most of the characters seeming godlike.

La Familia de Pascual Duarte. I was never much interested in Spaniard literature but this was a very nice book.
I love these rural stories about knife fights and crazy illiterate peasants. The whole family (and personal) honour thing. It's like crime and punishment: Spanish boogaloo (with a twist)
I r8 wew/lad

Das Knecht said:
Just finished the first Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, and I've got to say, it was amazing. I really like how it all turned out.

these books are probably the best emotional cases for religion that I've seen so far. Almost persuaded me - to the Survivor religion, naturally. :wink: Survive and hope. Also, Sazed makes a fine God. I wouldn't mind that sort of deity - the kind that let you know it existed, the kind that made sure you knew it had noble intentions.

I never really liked Elend. He should've died in the caverns. I'm not glad that he's dead, but... more like satisfied. I'm also... satisfied to see a fulfillment to Vin. I'm not certain if Sazed just lied about having talked to their souls (and Kelsier's), but perhaps with him being so vast and powerful, just knowing their minds is similar enough. Vin and Elend aren't going to come back... but I still expect Sazed to find a way to make it happen, should he wish so. And with anyone else he wants, too...

Going to start reading the 1st book of the 2nd trilogy now, got it super cheap as an e-book.
Read the other three as well, the ones set 300 years later.
Pretty damn great and a nice evolution from the original three, even if the comedic release becomes a bit grating in Bands of Mourning.

Evilnightz said:
Just don't give up on it after the first few chapters. It was the first thing the author had written, so it had some problems, but he quickly got better. It might seem very YAish, but it really isn't. Pretty sure his current big plan is to go back and edit the rough spots soon in preparation for attempts at publication, so that wont last forever.

A bit more than 1/3 through the story and I love it. What an amazing story.

Also, wasnt his first story. First he posted publicly, maybe, but not the first one. Like he said, he had written hundreds of superhero stories in total, with most of the capes in Worm as protagonists. That`s why everyone has such nice backstories.

Like Battery&Assault, they had their own story before Worm was ever thought of
Been reading a lot of it and loving how slowly the chapters go by. Almost a week of reading and still only on Arc 13. Going to last me a while.

EDIT: Just saw that he`s currently writing his 3rd story with patreon support. 2,1k a month. Not bad at all. Will probably start supporting after I finish Worm.

Das Knecht said:

Wow, I started this series only yesterday.

The other two are way better than the first, IMO. The first one is a bit too much "coming of age" for my taste and at the start the main guy is infuriating.

On the off chance that you haven't, read Abecrombie's "The First Law" trilogy as well and the three (?) stand-alone novels in that universe. Lovely, lovely, lovely stuff.

Reading "The Age of Innocence" hence my signature and hence my permeating aura of pretentiousness, I bid you adieu.

Back
Top Bottom