What are you reading now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sartek said:
Reading the last book from the Eragon series. Inheritance was its name, I think. Almost done with it.

its not a masterpiece, Paolini isnt the greatest writer there is, but he manages.
I actually like the aims of the kings. He isnt that bad. He is ruthless and loves power, sure, but I cant see him as that bad of a ruler as they make him seem.
I enjoyed that series but I dislike the fantasy in it. If you like more realistic books set in the medieval time (no magic or stuff like that) then try out the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. He is also writing the Brotherband Chronicles which is awesome, too. I love books :3

Antar, although you are pretty new, I have seen your name in a couple of threads already. We need and want acttive forumites! :grin:
  As for your taste in literature, I approve.

chuck-norris-thumbs-up.jpg
  Currently, I am reading The portrait of D. Gray, Oscar Wilde. If you like fantasy books, it's the mother of them.Ha!, just kidding, it's a very nice book. I love Oscar. :grin:

Just finished it.

What I liked about it was that when the good guys won, the book didnt immediately end. THere was more than 100 pages left. There was some closure.

Also, its funny that in the book some people understand that heat is just motion, matter is mostly emty space and that matter is just energy. Therefore, there are nukes in the book. In a world of high fantasy, there are nukes.  :grin:

And if you want a good fantasy series, try Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Next I think I will be reading Spice&Wolf, a japanese light novel. Loved the anime. Also, have to finish reading the Malazan series as well. 2-3 last books in the series I havent read. The books have so much going on in them that I have largely forgotten what happened in the first ones, forgot characters and so on, that I decided that I have to re-read it all. Series is 3,3million words. 10 books. Each is about 800-1200 pages, at least in the format I have them.

Antonis said:
  Antar, although you are pretty new, I have seen your name in a couple of threads already. We need and want acttive forumites! :grin:
  As for your taste in literature, I approve.

chuck-norris-thumbs-up.jpg
  Currently, I am reading The portrait of D. Gray, Oscar Wilde. If you like fantasy books, it's the mother of them.Ha!, just kidding, it's a very nice book. I love Oscar. :grin:
Thanks! I try to be as active as I can though I'm hopping between 2-3 forums. I'm active in one, barely active in another, and trying to be active here.

Reading King of Thorns now. A little more confusing as to what's happening and when but the writing is just as good as Prince of Thorns and I look forward to getting through this. The main character is such a douche though.  :lol:

And GRRM too. Though the comparisons to him are fairly silly. I'm assuming it's because of the grittiness of the setting and the amount of deaths. Not been many deaths in book 2 so far, but the story is shaping up nicely. Also, only one main character but the books are narrated from his perspective. Makes things interesting, though I could see why people may stop reading if the dislike the character. He is terribly unlikeable.  :lol:

I was reading Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious but I had to return it to the library. Now I'm mainly just reading the forums, because I rarely have time for anything as frivolous as reading, alas.

Sartek said:
Reading the last book from the Eragon series. Inheritance was its name, I think. Almost done with it.

its not a masterpiece, Paolini isnt the greatest writer there is, but he manages.
Wasn't he like 15 or 16 when he wrote that crap and isn't it extremely stereotypical teenage boy power fantasy?

Jhessail said:
Sartek said:

Wasn't he like 15 or 16 when he wrote that crap and isn't it extremely stereotypical teenage boy power fantasy?
Exactly why I read Ranger's Apprentice and the Brotherband Chronicles. It still is unrealistic in some parts but It stays to the medieval theme more than any other books I know.

Jhessail said:
Sartek said:

He was and it is.

Posts contains spoilers for Dead Men Walking.

Bobthehero said:
Read a whole bunch of IG books and this one felt far more grimdark than the rest, where are you at?
Just finished it. And I have to say that it's certainly somewhat different in that the perspective of the reader loses the fight. But in doing so it's not any more depressive/grimdark/hopeless than many other books in the Black Library.
By the way, you should check out Richard Williams' Imperial Glory at some point. It combines slews of enigmatic and memorable characters, humour every now and then, with a similar "feel" to the PoV commissar in Dead Men Walking. 'tis about the last engagement - a planet to settle on, etc - for a bunch of merged-into-one IG regiments. Enemies are Orks, they even have a PoV of sorts with some cool details, which IMO offers a more interesting backdrop than Necrons.
Necrons are silly enemies and not all that fun to read about, for me at least.

Sherlock Holmes.

Wanted to give it a shot. Although I didn't like it much. Agatha Christie's books seem to be more interesting.

Also for those who are interested, here's my goodreads account: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/12225162-gokhan

The God Delusion as part of a zany scheme to manipulate all my friends to play Katawa Shoujo.

...Yes, it would make sense if I explained, but I'm not going to.

I am currently in the middle of Wise Man's Fear, second book of the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.

I am definitely enjoying the series so far. It has a bit of a Harry Potter feel to it, but more geared towards an older audience. Much less intensive than some other series I've read. Which is good, I need some lighter books since I only recently finished the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Although with Forge of Darkness out, I may have to pick that up soon. Same with Cold Days for the Dresden Files.

Back
Top Bottom