What are you reading now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ah, fair enough. Yeah, what you're looking for is pretty specific. Still, it kinda intrigues me that there's not a real publisher for military history in the whole of Germany.

I liked Moscow to Petushki and The Suitcase very much. Both are Soviet humour, the latter is rather sarcastic. Some quotes from the Suitcase:
"“We have to drink to the peaceful resolution of the Suez crisis! To the annexation of Lotharingia!” said Rymar."
"Without a second thought, I went over to him. “Could you lend me six roubles until tomorrow?” I tried to act pushy when I borrowed money, so that people could turn me down easily. “Without a doubt,” said Fred, taking out a small, square wallet. I regretted not asking for more."
"A week later a slender girl in imported shoes fell in love with me. Her name was Asya. Asya introduced me to her friends. They were all older than us – engineers, journalists, cameramen. One was even a store manager. These people dressed well. They liked going to restaurants and travelling. Some had their own cars. Back then they seemed mysterious, powerful and attractive. I wanted to belong to their crowd. Later many of them emigrated. Now they’re just regular elderly Jews."

My all-time favourite book is "Erebos" from Ursula Poznanski, with the main topic of a RPG Game, where the protagonist must fulfill tasks in real life to progress in the computer game. Very thrilling and also an interesting concept of a story!

I am currently reading "Women don't owe you pretty" by Florence Givens and it is so inspiring. I was thinking about getting an e-Book reader to read my books but I like the feeling of holding a book while reading. What are your experiences with it?

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. It is one of my fav one. By the end of the book you're left with a completely different view of all of the characters in a manner that completes the overall satire contained in the novel.

I'm reading Malleus Maleficarum (The Hammer of Witches) complete English translation by Christopher S. Mackay.
It's from 1486 and describes how witches/sorcerers work, ways to expose them and judicially punish them (i.e. exterminate them).
... I like the feeling of holding a book while reading. What are your experiences with it?
I've tried using an e-reader but just don't like it. Still prefer paper.
I was even surprised to find I couldn't highlight text (with colours e.g.) and make notes etc. But perhaps it was an old e-reader I tried.

I'm currently reading through The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. On book 3 now, as I finally have the entire collection. Superb series, hopefully the Amazon show does it justice.

Finally, put my fingers on prof. Hawking's "The Theory of Everything" and I find it a remarkable compilation of his lectures, thoughts, and ideas. Should be the first step for everyone who wants to dive into quantum sciences/physics as a whole. I attended Quantum Mechanics classes at the Uni but this is somehow different, better to picture the magnitude of the universe rather than quickly jumping to details. Both are important. I read "The Brief History of Time" before - starting chronologically (couple of times) but here my reactions are more favorable...

I usually read it in parallel (can't help myself reading one book at a time - knowing it is a bad habit) with Elon Musk's Bio (just started - high hopes) and Graham Hancock's "Fingerprints of the Gods" (surprisingly pleasant work on the traces of "alien gods" in the ancient civilizations).

Last edited:
I hope you know it's wildly imaginative and should not be read as anything serious. Might be a fun read regardless.
:grin: Yes, but after some time reading, it is worth finishing. On the other hand, it is just typical work on a "sensational thesis" being undefendable and unprovable for either skeptics or supporters. Something like Hitchens debating D'Souza on "Is there a God?" It is fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom