Weekly 2d art competition archive

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress on my entry so far. It's taking bloody ages.

5mmcYO5.png

A tip I learnt from looking at paintings over the years is when you paint rocks, use lots of colours. Use blues, greens, browns, purples, or anything else. Try not to restrict yourself to one specific hue or just grey, yunno?

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about. Look closely at the colours they use, you can see the colours pop out. Maybe you could use dark blues in the shade and orange in the highlights. Anything goes really.

I picked out some colours from these pictures, just look at the range of hues.

yMSNM4z.png

Web-OH-Picture-rocks-411kb-200112-1024x682.jpg

9CRIsY7.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Npr3uzD.png

GoldenGate.jpg

QoQF5Fr.png

shadowedRocks.jpg
Aq8AY4J.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Just an extra thing; some interesting colour palettes for inspiration (you could even import these images and use the colour dropper on them! :wink:). Notice the use of green and yellow for vegetation over the rocks. If you're doing a forest or something, green/yellow mixed over the rocks can help bring it to life and blend it into the scene better.

Some of these are actually really nice, I might use them myself.

classic-color-combinations.png
classic-web-palettes.png
SZ-color-palette-halloween-lichen.jpg
864058e62afaa4026b1eff1fd81b44ff.jpg
7f3b1f5c7b851cecc440c8b1d394e0fe.jpg
rock.jpg

Those are indeed really neat. I feel like I should try to combine this with practicing loose drawing, I have a nasty habit of drawing way too tight. Thanks  again :smile:

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. I t  w o n ' t  b e  a  s t y l i s h  m a r r i a g e ,  I  c a n ' t  a  f  f  o  r  d    a    c  a  r  r  i  a  g  e  .    B  u  t      y  o  u  '  l  l    l  o  o  k    s    w    e    e    t      u    p    o    n      t    h    e          s    e      a    t            o      f            a                      b        i          c            y      c          l        e                b          u              i              l              t                              f              o                  r                              t                w              o                      .

RIP sacredstonehead

Hello folks, and sorry for my absence.

For those concerned I'm not dead and totally am not an impostor who stole SSH's ID and online accounts.

So with nothing to see there, here it goes. Good luck choosing the best, this round was thrice as good as I'm late with this thing:

Tp7wpDk.png
Author: Age of Empires II: The Densetsu
Title: 2001: A Space Wololo

qDyiN4v.png
Author: A young vampire
Title: The Cursed And The Colossus

I'm really stunned by the quality you guys pulled off, honest. Well done.

Poll will be up in a sec, check the page soon if you still don't see it.

Put those votes to work, and beware of conversions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom