SP Fantasy [WB] The Veiled Stars | the Lord of the Rings [WIP] + Theoden's Armour p411

Should Hornburg be a castle or a town?

• Town

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Castle

Votes: 90 48.1%
  • Town, but call it Helm's Deep instead.

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Castle, but call it Helm's Deep instead.

Votes: 45 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks Docm,
I've got the old English covered myself, and I'm not too horrendous with my imagination. And, of course, I'm fairly well read in LOTR lore, and I know how Rohan's language works, etc. So thank you for the offer, but I think it'd be quicker just to do it myself! :smile:

in  the third movie when Theoden is preparing to go to aid gondor at one point he asks about the army's numbers a few fiefs are mentioned but i dont remember there names  :roll:

awsomedude142 said:
in  the third movie when Theoden is preparing to go to aid gondor at one point he asks about the army's numbers a few fiefs are mentioned but i dont remember there names  :roll:
I never thought about that! Thanks for the suggestion! Nice one. I'll take a look right after I've finished my mapping session.

Should have previews of the smexy new map soon!

ya hes like *insert town here* 200 troops , *insert town here* 400 so on lucky i was watching lotr

P.s. i signed up for the forum for this mod and i haven't gotten an email to activate my account whats up with that?

A lot of people have been having the same problem, but I think I've fixed it just now by tweaking the settings on the forum.
I activated your account manually, anyway. Looking forward to seeing you on the other side!

Docm30 said:
HoJu said:
Edoras is probably the only settlement that can be considered sort of a town...

Besides Aldburg, Edoras may have been the only one Tolkien named. He, however, made it quite clear that there are several settlements in Rohan that he leaves unnamed and undetailed. Erkenbrand isn't very well lord of an empty field, is he?

Edoras itself is little more than a fortified village with a palace, so those other settlements would be villages and hamlets with the occasional castle or fortification to defend them. At least that's like I've always pictured Rohan, like a 100% rural society in wich even the most powerful lords like Erkenbrand would live in those hamlets (and since the main resource in Rohan are pastures and horses, I'd say he is indeed lord of some "empty" fields :razz:). Of course, that doesn't mean the biggest of those settlements can't be made into towns for the mod, but they barely have any urban features, no even the capital. That's what I meant, I was not implying there's no more settlements in Rohan.

I find rather difficult to explain myself in English. This paragraph took me quite long to write.

HoJu said:
Docm30 said:
HoJu said:
Edoras is probably the only settlement that can be considered sort of a town...

Besides Aldburg, Edoras may have been the only one Tolkien named. He, however, made it quite clear that there are several settlements in Rohan that he leaves unnamed and undetailed. Erkenbrand isn't very well lord of an empty field, is he?

Edoras itself is little more than a fortified village with a palace, so those other settlements would be villages and hamlets with the occasional castle or fortification to defend them. At least that's like I've always pictured Rohan, like a 100% rural society in wich even the most powerful lords like Erkenbrand would live in those hamlets (and since the main resource in Rohan are pastures and horses, I'd say he is indeed lord of some "empty" fields :razz:). Of course, that doesn't mean the biggest of those settlements can't be made into towns for the mod, but they barely have any urban features, no even the capital. That's what I meant, I was not implying there's no more settlements in Rohan.

That's an interesting point of view, but for the function of Mount&Blade balancing Rohan simply must have towns. However, what I can do is make these towns have small, hamlet like map icons, and also make them more rural scenes!

HoJu said:
I find rather difficult to explain myself in English. This paragraph took me quite long to write.
Well, thank you very much for taking the time!

Teaser!

iolBQDt.jpg

This is massively WIP. Mountains aren't even sculpted yet; what you're seeing is a completely flat landscape. Rivers haven't been added (apart from the Anduin and the river Ringlo), and the Anduin further North of the falls of Rauros hasn't been sculpted yet either (apart from initial outlining).

This is just to show you how huge the new map is (twice the size of Native), and how much better it is than the old one. I'll give more information, as well as more progress, in the next Dev Diary which will be posted tonight.

It's even bigger than is shown in this screenie . The map extends South as far as Umbar, and East as far as the Sea of Rhun and beyond!

Jarvisimo said:
Teaser!

iolBQDt.jpg

This is massively WIP. Mountains aren't even sculpted yet; what you're seeing is a completely flat landscape. Rivers haven't been added (apart from the Anduin and the river Ringlo), and the Anduin further North of the falls of Rauros hasn't been sculpted yet either (apart from initial outlining).

This is just to show you how huge the new map is (twice the size of Native), and how much better it is than the old one. I'll give more information, as well as more progress, in the next Dev Diary which will be posted tonight.

It's even bigger than is shown in this screenie . The map extends South as far as Umbar, and East as far as the Sea of Rhun and beyond!

Isn't  Minas Tirith a little too close to Osgilliath, (i dont know i you are going to use Osgilliath)  but if say i siege Minas tirith, the soldier/lord from osgilliath would instant attack me and vice versa?

Well, isn't that realistic? It's what they did in the books and the films, and I think that if the same happened in the game it'd just add to immersion. The whole idea of Minas Tirith and Osgiliath is that they are a bastion of defence against Mordor's troops crossing the Anduin. I will balance things out in other ways.

Jarvisimo said:
... for the function of Mount&Blade balancing Rohan simply must have towns. However, what I can do is make these towns have small, hamlet like map icons, and also make them more rural scenes!

Yeah, that was my point since the beginning :razz:

Docm30 said:
I know a little Old English (and a lot more about Rohan), if you need any such help I might be able to provide it. All of the names of place in Rohan are in Old English, after all.

Thanks Docm,
I've got the old English covered myself, and I'm not too horrendous with my imagination. And, of course, I'm fairly well read in LOTR lore, and I know how Rohan's language works, etc.
Alternatively, I could just use some of the towns in Third Age Total War, as I'm sure many people will be familiar with this mod and it helps give some unity.

Edit: For your information, the towns of the reworked map will be as follows:

Gondor
Minas Tirith
West Osgiliath
Dol Amroth
Pelargir

Rohan
Edoras
Aldburg
Foldburg
Entwade or Hornburg (depending on this vote)

Isengard
Orthanc
Galtrev
Fangorn

Mordor
Barad Dur
East Osgiliath
Minas Morgul

Okay, now to explain why I've made these choices for the settlements.
You may be thinking that having Fangorn as a town is a rather stupid idea. However, I really want the forest to have economic significance for Isengard (as it did!). It will have a custom map icon which will probably be an orc labour camp with some deforestation surrounding. It's scene will be the same, as it'd be cool to have some orc town walkers walking around the camp.
The second reason why Fangorn is a town is because I want the player to have a reason for entering Fangorn as an Isengard player, because I will probably have some sort of ent-like surprise there in the future.

Secondly, evil factions have less towns than good factions. This is intentional. Being a great fan of the Nazgul,  really love the evil factions of Middle Earth so I'm not one to make things unfair. The evil factions have more troops in armies than good factions, and they are often better. The evil factions also have the advantage of the Nazgul, which aren't exactly an easy opponent to deal with.

Both Western and Eastern Osgiliath are towns. This again is intentional, as at the beginning of the game, Mordor holds one and Gondor holds the other, and therefore there are no benefits to the two towns being very close together. However, if Gondor retakes Eastern Osgiliath, the ability to cross a river to make money from trading almost instantly is invaluable, and I think this gives the player real incentive to help Gondor retake and hold the river.

Sherlock Holmes said:
Are you going to make Dunharrow a castle too?
Yep! Why do you ask? Would you prefer it to be a town?

As for visual progress...

NUTtFiO.jpg

As you can see here, I've edited in all the major rivers of Gondor and Rohan, and also done most of the landcaping. There remains a little bit of texturing to do, touching up the mountains. Please bear in mind that this is a screenshot taken from Thorgrim's Map Editor, not the game - so the map will look far graphically superior to what you're seeing here.
Also, quite obviously I've not started Mordor yet.

Thanks for your time!

Jarvisimo said:
Docm30 said:
I know a little Old English (and a lot more about Rohan), if you need any such help I might be able to provide it. All of the names of place in Rohan are in Old English, after all.

Thanks Docm,
I've got the old English covered myself, and I'm not too horrendous with my imagination. And, of course, I'm fairly well read in LOTR lore, and I know how Rohan's language works, etc.
Alternatively, I could just use some of the towns in Third Age Total War, as I'm sure many people will be familiar with this mod and it helps give some unity.

Edit: For your information, the towns of the reworked map will be as follows:

Gondor
Minas Tirith
West Osgiliath
Dol Amroth
Pelargir

Rohan
Edoras
Aldburg
Foldburg
Entwade or Hornburg (depending on this vote)

Isengard
Orthanc
Galtrev
Fangorn

Mordor
Barad Dur
East Osgiliath
Minas Morgul

Okay, now to explain why I've made these choices for the settlements.
You may be thinking that having Fangorn as a town is a rather stupid idea. However, I really want the forest to have economic significance for Isengard (as it did!). It will have a custom map icon which will probably be an orc labour camp with some deforestation surrounding. It's scene will be the same, as it'd be cool to have some orc town walkers walking around the camp.
The second reason why Fangorn is a town is because I want the player to have a reason for entering Fangorn as an Isengard player, because I will probably have some sort of ent-like surprise there in the future.

Secondly, evil factions have less towns than good factions. This is intentional. Being a great fan of the Nazgul,  really love the evil factions of Middle Earth so I'm not one to make things unfair. The evil factions have more troops in armies than good factions, and they are often better. The evil factions also have the advantage of the Nazgul, which aren't exactly an easy opponent to deal with.

Both Western and Eastern Osgiliath are towns. This again is intentional, as at the beginning of the game, Mordor holds one and Gondor holds the other, and therefore there are no benefits to the two towns being very close together. However, if Gondor retakes Eastern Osgiliath, the ability to cross a river to make money from trading almost instantly is invaluable, and I think this gives the player real incentive to help Gondor retake and hold the river.

Sherlock Holmes said:
Are you going to make Dunharrow a castle too?
Yep! Why do you ask? Would you prefer it to be a town?

As for visual progress...

NUTtFiO.jpg

As you can see here, I've edited in all the major rivers of Gondor and Rohan, and also done most of the landcaping. There remains a little bit of texturing to do, touching up the mountains. Please bear in mind that this is a screenshot taken from Thorgrim's Map Editor, not the game - so the map will look far graphically superior to what you're seeing here.
Also, quite obviously I've not started Mordor yet.

Thanks for your time!

No Jarvi... Thank YOU for the wonderful work you are doing and the skill that uses in describing updates!

Where'd you get the name Foldburg, by the way? because it isn't correct Old English; 'country town' would be Foldanburh, although Tolkien wilfully uses the incorrect, accusative form burg instead of the correct, nominative burh, so you can probably get away with Foldanburg, which is not only more correct but sounds better than Foldburg. Then again, old Germanic area names often aren't grammatically correct (Jotunnheim, for example, or really almost any name in Old Norse). Although real English names often were grammatically correct, take Brunanburh from brūn and burh.

Back
Top Bottom