SP Fantasy [WB] Grim Age: Ostland Campaign - Alpha released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello everyone! As long as I can't show new models too often, I've decided to start some kind of development diaries, where you'd be able to see development progress on the mod.

New dialogs and how rank system inflluences gameplay.

Dialogs. First of all it concerns "greetings" of different groups of units. Having no neutral units (hostile to everyone), with exception of skeletons, bandits and wandering champions, the reaction of different warbands will depend on faction the player belongs to, for example:

Chaos player meeting raiders:
bdc71af554d2.jpg
Empire player being threatened by raiders:
f57956323c8f.jpg

Chaos player meets roadwarden:
0a7fcf335a84.jpg

Empire captain meets roadwarden:
41620ec09256.jpg

afce36ecdec3.jpg

29f61eb84d2a.jpg

409ffa153f35.jpg

Rank defines in what way wandering groups will greet player, but that's not all. The higher player's rank the more features available in general, including unique options in dialogs. For example, Chaos player with the highrest rank will be able to join wandering zealots to his party without any limitations, which will allow him to use them as cannon fodder during sieges etc.

13f8466acc1b.jpg

4fd56b58fd4c.jpg

Another partially done feature - additional rank "Coward" for chaos player. It's main purpose is to make player's life much harder, for cowards are not to be respected by anybody. Lords will deny speaking to coward, and wandering groups will laught at him. There're some obvious ways to become a coward, like refuse to duel with anybody or flee from a battlefield.

2a88ee4c6ed0.jpg

c145e5d7123f.jpg

2820eb2e3625.jpg

Duels and afterlife.

Duels. Simple as it is - you can challenge every enemy lord for a duel. Providing you won and your opponent's party morale waslow enough, you can decide what to do with his army, e.g. let them go or fight them (in this case they get a severe morale debuff). For every duel won player gets quarter of his opponent renown.

If opponent's party morale is high you'll have fight them anyway, but the morale debuff won't be absent.

63fad5104271.jpg

ae3e9bb07382.jpg

e43cb466bfc7.jpg

9a61cd29a7fc.jpg

If you die in a duel (or in a battle or somewhere else) you'll transform in a a skeleton. At first it won't be the most intresting feature of the mod as skeleton won't be able to visit cities\villages\castles, talk to lords and do other stuff people do, but with further development it gives a great possibility to add third quest line for undead player. But for now undead player will be able to join wandering skeleton parties to his army and plunder stuff.

a9ae15ac3e88.jpg

e5c1678c5c9d.jpg

Wow, those are exciting features! I sort of wish I had not looked at this thread, now this is yet another mod for which I have to wait while the anticipation kills me slowly. :sad:
Anyway, the duel seems to be pretty OP to me, as Warband AI is typically relatively bad at it. So I suppose the people dueling you will have excellent stats and weapon proficiencies. (and not too much or it'll become unfair) For a good example of what I mean by that, check out tournaments in Warsword Conquest : some of those lords have insane stats (and they get to keep their armor), and yet can be beaten by a level 10-15 player, as soon as he's proficient enough in his weapons.

Also : very interesting to see that the player can actually die. However, do you mean that you'll become undead as soon as you hit 0 health on the battlefield, or will it be a random chance ? Or a "life" system where you lose one every time you get KO'd ?

Yes, lords will be really powerful. Just take a look at this pic:

ef3defce6d9257bb56eb150ae26b31e9.jpg

Chaos lords (and some Empire lords) will be as (or even more) powerful as Nurgle\Khorne Champions. We'll try to make our best to not let them be easy-to-beat dummies.

Right now, when player dies, he jumps to a menu with a text, notifying him of his death. Then, after 24 hours "rest" on the global map player "revives" as a skeleton. The "revival@ right now is unavoidable. It's not hard to add probability of becoming undead, but is there any reason for doing so?

Oh, alright. I see you're also using the "troop size" mechanic shared by Warsword, that's a good thing as in Native there's very little reason to actually use non-highest troops. (troop wage is negligible by the time you're high level enough to have an army full of Huscarls)

Anyway, I asked if it was automatic because I suppose if a player wants to play for the Empire, he probably won't like the idea of being Undead. Might happen pretty quickly too, it's not hard in the early game to get knocked out especially if you want to play a more "leader"-type character, with relatively low stats. But then again when I look at the features list, it seems like the player will be heavily encouraged to put every point in fighting stats and skills, since an Int-based player would lose most of his duels against the juggernauts in your chart.

Edit : holy hell, just looked again and realized there will be Nurgle troops in the mod. Will they have something special (other than graphics, I mean more like special abilities) to differentiate them from their Khorne counterparts ?

Yep, though our mechanic is a little bit different and based on player's renown.

Yes, there is a point here. But in this case death can be seen as game over and a reason to click load game button. Also, duels, mostly, are optional.

Yes of course, there's the reload option, which is honestly what I'll do since I'm a saveloader in M&B in general anyway. x) Although I may actually choose to die at one point to test it, but my "main" character in this mod would definitely be a Chaos vassal/fighter.
Which probably makes the duels a bit less optional due to that "coward" feature, if I've understood correctly ?

Depends on what rank Chaos player currently has. For example, even friendly lords will challenge player for a duel from time to time if he has the highest rank. Another thing - if player's party morale is low\player doesn't have enough renown to "maintain" high tier units\ player is not Chaos Warrior but a marauder some of his troops (starting with elite berserkers\marauders of norsca and finishing with Elite CW and crushers) will try to take the control on the player's party over by challenging player for a deadly duel.

Oooh, about the troops thing - I remember it from TLD, when using Orc troops you get challenged sometimes. Although in TLD it didn't seem tied to morale, even at 99 morale I'd have a challenge sometimes (maybe it's tied to the number of battles you've had recently though). Then again Orcs are weaklings in that mod so the duel wasn't hard at all, it's probably going to be more difficult in Grim Age. :p
About the renown thing : do you mean that it "costs" renown to have those troops ? Or is more like a threshold ? (i.e. "you need more than 500 renown to have 1 of those troops, more than 7 to have 5, etc.)

Well, they cost some renown, they occupy it, but they don't use it up, e.g. you have 500 renown, a Marauder Recruit needs 5 renown. You can hire 100 Mrauder Recruits, and you will still have 500 renown, but no "free" renown to hire some more troops, as it's occupied by recruits. As soon as, for example, 20 recruits die, you'll be able to hire, e.g. 5 Berserkers 20 renown each.

Oh right. Pretty interesting system. Does it also mean that the units don't "level-up" at all ? And if they can level-up, does it mean that instead of (or in addition to) money, you'll need "spare renown" to actually level them up ?

Units are divided into groups. For example, there are 3 disconnected groups for chaos:

1. Marauders (Recruit, Skilled, Weathered).
2. Crushers (Berserker, Weathered Berserker, Elite Berserker, Crusher, Elite Crusher).
3. Warriors of Norsca (Marauder of Norsca, WMN, EMN, Chaos Warrior, ECW).

Units in each group cost the same amount of renown, but it does NOT concern Crushers and CW's. Also every unit in each group can be upgarded in the next unit of the same group. So for example, every unit in the first group costs 5 renown and altogether the present the low tier troop tree for chaos. All berserkers and Marauders of Norsca (at least for now) cost 20 renown, but Chaos Warrior costs 100 renown, Crusher costs 90 renown, as I re-call. Player CAN upgrade an Elite Marauder of Norsca into CW even he doesn't have enough "free" renown left, but considering that in this case CW might not like being led by someone weaker than he, such a move will be risky at a certain degree.

Probably way to early to ask this, but is there a rough estimate (in months/years) on when the first playable version will be released to the public? I'm really eager to see this mod in action.

Well, within this year. We don't want to release something unplayable, but on the other hand all the core features are finished\being worked out.

Back
Top Bottom